Toys, Games, Books, Movies and TV shows You Remember Fondly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We didn't have TV at home when I was a little boy. But we had lovely neighbors, an elderly couple with no kids of their own, who always invited me and my sister to watch the kids programs on Wednesday and Saturday afternoons on their TV, when the child stuff was programmed in those days. That was always fun, with lemonade and cookies, and they made sure we did not forget to come.
The favorite TV shows of those days I still remember, apart from Dutch produced stuff, were Lassie, The Adventures Of Rin Tin Tin and Fury.

Later when I was around 7 or 8 we got our own TV and I remember that my grand mother would come over on sunday afternoons to play some board games or cards with us and watch some TV.
She loved to watch TV series like Flipper and Gun Smoke, and we put them on for her and watched with her.

Precious memories.
Lovely people.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My dad grew up in a household where everyone played card games after dinner, and he knew a lot of them, especially solitaire games.  He would tell us about playing games for hours while waiting for air transport during WWII, rarely playing the same game twice.  He and I used to play Russian Bank (a double solitaire) in the days before we finally got a TV.  I remember hardly ever winning, but feeling very close to my dad at those times.  I tried to get him interested in online solitaire at one point, but he never warmed to it.  It didn't feel the same as playing with real cards, I guess.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 2

Toys: The Lego set me and my man saved up for. We actually would add more parts to them until we had a bucket full of Legos.  Believe it or not we still have that and my Doc suggested I dig them out to work my hands out since I have MS. My man would join me and we would remember the old times. Other night we tried making the famous SL logo out of Legos. But my guy got clumsy and dropped it to the floor.

TV: We grew up with the likes of Lost in Space, Gomer Pyle, Gilligan's Island and others. Also remember old game shoes like Hollywood Squares, Three on a Match,  Match Game, Price is Right, Gambit, Joker's Wild, Concentration, Magnificent Marble Machine and many others from the era. Didn't get color TV until the mid 70s. I remember my man getting a B&W TV in the early 70s and it still works! It's used for an old Pong game.

Music: Something that is dear to us. We grew up to that and our music tastes are the same. We collected records and stuff together and still have many of those from our youth. To this day out love of music is strong and it is evident in our bar where we have a server with almost a million songs on it, thanks to use buying inventory of a couple now closed record shops and my daughter loving to rip them to the computer.

CB: Before we got our amateur radio licenses, we would talk on the CB radio! Breaker 19, what's the smokey situation on the Grapevine?

• Like 3

For music, my old folks introduced me to a variety of rock and roll that was around during the 1970s. My step-dad was especially fond of Meatloaf's "Bat out of hell". They were also fond of a local rock station that played the likes of Boston, REO Speedwagon and Van Halen, and stuff like that.

Naturally, in the mid 80s I too was among those whom discovered heavy metal music. The first metal tapes I acquired with my own money were Dokken's "Back for the attack" and Metallica's "... And justice for all". Just before that, a friend lent me a dub copy of Metallica's other albums, and I got into those.

Comic books have also been a favourite of mine since childhood. I read and collected a lot of Star Wars, G.I. Joe, Transformers, Indiana Jones, X-men. Later got into the Punisher as well as Spawn when those came out. Sgt. Rock is cool as well. And I sometimes see ones of like Star Trek, and even McHale's Navy at flea markets and the like.

• Like 2

Games: Uno, Chutes and Ladders, and Battleship.

Books: The Curious George books were my absolute favorite as a first grader.  Around fourth or fifth grade, there were Charlotte's Web, and Choose Your Own Adventure series.  I also loved reading everything about Ancient Egypt, though I can't recall the exact titles and authors of those books.

TV: The Smurfs, He-Man, and Thundercats. I'm old enough to remember when MTV used to play music videos.  It all went downhill when they started the "real world" garbage in the 90's.

fmF8e2w7jf0v5CnwAv3uw6HL91n-BEglA0zKgwrS

Speaking of music, it was a simpler time when one's biggest grief was someone insulting your favorite band. It was funny how kids at school would get into a tizzy when you say, "New Kids On The Block, Poison, or Motley Crue sux."  Clearly Anthrax, Judas Priest, and Iron Maiden are the more superior bands. ;)

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Games: Uno, Chutes and Ladders, and Battleship.

Books: The Curious George books were my absolute favorite as a first grader.  Around fourth or fifth grade, there were Charlotte's Web, and Choose Your Own Adventure series.  I also loved reading everything about Ancient Egypt, though I can't recall the exact titles and authors of those books.

TV: The Smurfs, He-Man, and Thundercats. I'm old enough to remember when MTV used to play music videos.  It all went downhill when they started the "real world" garbage in the 90's.

fmF8e2w7jf0v5CnwAv3uw6HL91n-BEglA0zKgwrS

Speaking of music, it was a simpler time when one's biggest grief was someone insulting your favorite band. It was funny how kids at school would get into a tizzy when you say, "New Kids On The Block, Poison, or Motley Crue sux."  Clearly Anthrax, Judas Priest, and Iron Maiden are the more superior bands. ;)

I admit.  I was already a young adult when the Smurfs came out and I loved.that show!

That was one of the best things when my son was little.  I had a good excuse for watching cartoons again.  The Thornberry's, Caillou, Avatar, the Last Airbender.

Maggie and the Ferocious Beast was my favorite.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

I admit.  I was already a young adult when the Smurfs came out and I loved.that show!

That was one of the best things when my son was little.  I had a good excuse for watching cartoons again.  The Thornberry's, Caillou, Avatar, the Last Airbender.

Maggie and the Ferocious Beast was my favorite.

The Smurfs have the best theme song. I was happy to discover, back in the early aughts, that a midi clip of it exists and could be put into my old Nokia phone as a ring tone.

Having young kids in your life is a always good excuse for cartoons without having to justify yourself.  I have younger cousins and friends with young kids so I got to be a bit familiar with the newer cartoons. The Last Airbender is a pretty good series with none of the vapidness. I actually enjoyed watching that. My Little Pony generation 4, not so much.

Edited by Eddy Vortex
  • Like 2

The Smurfs were pretty fun back in the day. Looked forward to seeing them alongside the Pac Man cartoon in the early 80s.

I fondly remember the days of MTV actually Gasp! playing music! What a shocker, eh? Especially once I started getting to metal, and Headbanger's Ball was a thing. Headbanger's Ball kindly hit the "Would you like to know more?" button for me as I started to learn about new bands, along with assorted magazines of that era. Anyone remember Metal Maniacs?

And yes, kids have that way of keeping you up to speed on things. Even if you don't have any of your own, nieces, nephews and cousins will kindly do that for you. XD A few christmases ago - this was back when Frozen came out - I was talking with my cousin, and she jokingly told me she was on for a night of constant "Let it go". So, I told her about the song "Happy", and she said "Thanks a lot! Now I have that in my head instead!" XD

• Like 2

I was a bookworm. A lot of encyclopedias. I was at the library two or three times a week borrowing books or cluttering the reference library. I loved Enid Blyton even though she's no longer revered.

We didn't get a colour tv until 1984, so my tv memories are black and white. The Avengers with Patrick McNee was way ahead of it's time. 

We never played any games, and if I wasn't reading I would be out on my bike. Nobody knew where I was and I just went back for meals.

I also dismantled stuff when unsupervised  like my scooter, and the sideboard clock. At least my scooter went back together and worked.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.