Group invites regularly and reliably failing (for weeks now) in Firestorm viewer

Sylvia Wasp

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, 

For weeks now, group invites have been failing for me (using Firestorm viewer), so basically I want to know if this is a widespread problem, or a bug, or how long it's been going on, if it's ever going to be fixed, etc.  You know ...since groups are a central part of how SL works and Firestorm is the most popular viewer, lol.  

Specifically (in order of frequency): 

1) Sending out group invites generally just silently fails.  You pick a person off the list, send the invite, but get no feedback at all.  The receiver never gets the invite. 

2) Sometimes, it (seems to) work for the sender ... (notification that it was sent) but then the receiver still just never gets the invite.  

3) Very occasionally, It seems to work for the sender (notification) and the receiver seems to get it (they get the dialogue and click "Join") but they still haven't joined the group.  

Before all the "whatabouts" begin ... I'm an experienced long time SL user, the people I'm sending invites to are actually on my friends list, they aren't banned, it isn't occurring in high lag areas, etc.  I've been dealing with this for about two to three weeks although previous to that I was off for more than a year due to the deadly plague. 🙂

It's completely reproducible, with the exception of the there variations above.  

If I was to give rough numbers I'd say 1) happens about 70% of the time, 2) happens about 20% of the time and 3) happens the rest of the time.  

thanks, 

Sylvia

• Like 1

OK, follow up.  It seems that if you make the group as "anyone can join" then send the invites, they work.  Then you have to change it back of course and eject everyone who joined while it was possible.  So there is a clunky, less than desirable workaround ... but it's still a problem.  

Pretty much like everything in SL I guess, lol.  😀

• Like 1

I haven't issued a group invitation since 2007.

Why would anyone do that?

On the regular SL viewer.

They often failed, but more importantly, the person who needed the invitation as a tenant would often get distracted, crash, be drunk or high and not click on it, or who the heck knows, but it was not worth my time.

So "anyone can join" is what it is set at, with group joiners, and yes, some people do expect that clicking a group joiner automagically sends then an invite they can click on like a person or a bot (it doesn't, you have to click on the link from chat), and some people seem to have a hopeless time figuring out how to use search/groups, my profile, or hey, that handy inworld joiner, I will not be changing to manual invites ever again.

I also don't think I want the expense and maintenance and use of an avatar space by having a bot do this.

I've been having trouble with group invites on and off for years but it has definitely got worse over the last few months.

When someone is offline they may, or may not, receive the invite, and when they click to join, it may work or may just close the group profile and they haven't been added to the group at all.

When someone is actually online when the invite is sent, they are much more likely to receive it, but in some case they don't, and when they click to join, it seems much more likely to work.

I haven't got any figures to back this up but it is something that I have noticed and it has been getting worse.

• 4 weeks later...

I have tested it on all viewers and it does not work.    Regarding why?  Only an  invite works if the group is not open to all.

Invites only work right now if both parties are online.  I opened a similar discussion, never really got any responses that solved the issue.

I have 4 groups and have sent invite for year -- this a new glitch, started a ticket on it.

Edited by FaintOutline

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.