Without Avastar?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 95 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Every time I ask something in this forum I never get an answer rather than a suggestion to use a expensive Pugin called "Avastar", it can how to use Blender to transfer weights and the answer that is pushed is "use Avastar", ask how to use blender to rig and some say "Use Avastar", and now it is same with animation where folk say "I get an error, how can I fix that" and the answer is "Use Avastar".
I want to make one simple pose in Blender, I have the bento rig, I make the pose and export it as a .BVH and when I try to upload it I get an error, now I want to know how to fix it, yes I know that I can use Avastar, but I do not want to spend 6000 L to make one pose, so how do Avastar save the file and why is not Blender able to do the same?

I tried using Blender for posing once .. Didn't care much for it. I make my poses in Qavimator. Unfortunately the bento version was never finished and, last I checked, it had been pulled off the site as the creator didn't have the time to work on it. Using Avastar for a pose feels a bit like using a jackhammer to drive in a nail. 

There are other options, but I haven't really played around with them much (I've only skimmed past them when looking around, and that was a while ago). I think someone was talking about using Daz.

I'm not an expert on the tech side (or any side for that matter), but I believe the errors might be caused by the viewer not recognising the skeleton used; as far as I'm aware, a .BVH could contain any skeleton, but SL only allows its own skeleton to be used. There was mention of having to download the SL skeleton and putting it in Daz to use it successfully.

2 hours ago, Kennylex Luckless said:

Every time I ask something in this forum I never get an answer rather than a suggestion to use a expensive Pugin called "Avastar", it can how to use Blender to transfer weights and the answer that is pushed is "use Avastar", ask how to use blender to rig and some say "Use Avastar", and now it is same with animation where folk say "I get an error, how can I fix that" and the answer is "Use Avastar".
I want to make one simple pose in Blender, I have the bento rig, I make the pose and export it as a .BVH and when I try to upload it I get an error, now I want to know how to fix it, yes I know that I can use Avastar, but I do not want to spend 6000 L to make one pose, so how do Avastar save the file and why is not Blender able to do the same?

59 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I tried using Blender for posing once .. Didn't care much for it. I make my poses in Qavimator. Unfortunately the bento version was never finished and, last I checked, it had been pulled off the site as the creator didn't have the time to work on it. Using Avastar for a pose feels a bit like using a jackhammer to drive in a nail. 

There are other options, but I haven't really played around with them much (I've only skimmed past them when looking around, and that was a while ago). I think someone was talking about using Daz.

I'm not an expert on the tech side (or any side for that matter), but I believe the errors might be caused by the viewer not recognising the skeleton used; as far as I'm aware, a .BVH could contain any skeleton, but SL only allows its own skeleton to be used. There was mention of having to download the SL skeleton and putting it in Daz to use it successfully.

A bvh file is a text file with that extension that may contain any skeletal definition, it is a format for the purpose of storing skeletal data in the form of the hierarchy description, followed by the animation data frame by frame. What it lacks though is a written definition of other important factors like the scene orientation and joints orientation, which are assumed granting a set standard (Y up and Z forward for both, and a specific rotation order in both the definition and in the animation data, which are also differerent), while Blender does not comply to those assumptions. There's also a scale factor for the individual joints placements but that's less of a showstopper.

On the SL uploaded side, there are a few more things that stop an upload. First and foremost, the file must contain a skeletal definition that complies to the avatar skeleton, any joint name mismatch will result in errors and upload rejection. Time duration and final file size are also accounted for. So, given that you may succeed to produce a bvh file that passes the initial expectations, the animation itself might not play as one would expect once inworld, for one or more technical reasons explained earlier.

However! If you get a SL skeleton imported in Blender and orient it to face positive X axis and apply rotations, the native bvh exporter should also have a setting for SL compatible exports once you get to the export window (COG icon button on the top right corner)

• Like 2

What error exactly? I've never gotten an error message, but I've gotten plenty of incorrect animation behavior.

Rotations don't work right because SL applies rotation components in a different order. To make bone rotations that import correctly, use this workaround: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfYG9Dq-pTA.
(Text version:

1. Face your armature and model toward +X with +Z up.
  2. Apply rotations.
  3. Rotate your armature (and mesh if it isn't the armature's child) so it's lying on its back with the face toward +Z and the head toward +Y.
  4. Apply rotations.
  5. Rotate it back to how it was the first time and don't apply rotations.

Animate from there. You don't even have to do step 5, really, if you don't mind animating a reclining character.)

Location changes don't work right because SL is hard-coded to expect a scale of "1 unit =1 inch" in BVH files. To make bone translations that import correctly, use a scale of 39.37 in the export options panel. That's assuming you're using Blender's default measure of "1 unit = 1 meter". If you're using something different, enter a scale of however many inches are in 1 of the units you're using. (0.3937 if you're in cm, 12 if you're in feet, etc.)

the native bvh exporter should also have a setting for SL compatible exports once you get to the export window

As of 2.90 it does not.

Edited by Quarrel Kukulcan
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 5:26 PM, Orwar said:

There was mention of having to download the SL skeleton and putting it in Daz to use it successfully.

That is correct. if you try exporting a pose made with the default Daz figure even with it's built in SL compatibility box checked it won't work in SL. if you create a scene with the SL male model and one with the female model and save them you won't have to import them in to Daz every time

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 95 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.