Are we all being too nice ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1032 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

35 minutes ago, Orwar said:

You'll have to forgive my autistic nit-pickiness, but that's not how an apology works either. 

But it doesn't really matter (to me, anyway), as the appropriate measures have been taken and the person in question can be as offensive or falsely apologetic as they want to; neither of it is going to reach me - so as far as I'm concerned, this tangent may quite readily be relegated to the past tense. 

So - on topic: No, I don't think we're being 'too nice'. 

Point taken. I was trying to be helpful, but clearly I'm not so that's my cue.

Edited by AdminGirl

Sometimes, when you realize you were mis-interpreted,  I think a short "I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it to be interpreted in that way" or a "Sorry that came across that way, that wasn't what I intended" might be better than pages of posts trying to clarify, along with others  jumping in on one side or the other.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------

In terms of generating more discussions and interactions between people in-world, I'm not against that as long as one doesn't feel that they have to be a part of it.  My SL experience is fairly solo, even when I am in areas where there are others (and even lively local chat occurring).   I'm happy just being around the edges or quietly passing through...    I like knowing I'm not totally alone (which is one of the reasons I would not want my own region in OpenSim), but I want to be free to choose my own level and timing of interaction with others.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Fairre was trying to point out that new users of the forum could be confused or offended by some emoticons. People didn't seem to get it, and I believe it's because some regular users of the forum don't understand or won't admit to the greater power they have simply by being regular forum users. Plus a clique typically likes to wield their power by ousting others from the group.

At least one of the people who agreed with me this time was part of the problem recently when I commented on anti-dyslexic insults. Consider that my comment is because I've had enough of everyone doing this, rather than just one person. I don't disagree that things like reactions could be used as part of bullying, but if you can understand why that can hurt, I don't see how you could not understand why the things I'm talking about can hurt. Small things add up. That's the whole point of what I was saying.

It adds to my "people are too nice?!" response that this birthday has been brutal on that side. Everyone hates everything and thinks all the resident-produced content is trash. This doesn't make me feel more engaged. It does mean I already felt so bad, I didn't think people shouting at me on the forum would make it worse. You want a conspiracy, but I'm not part of a secret clique or hate campaign. I'm just feeling sad. I'm stating this directly so there's no need to read between the lines. You might not agree with me, but that doesn't mean there's something else going on here (as far as I'm concerned).

• Like 1

Are you all done now burying Faire and stomping on her head? She doesn't "OWE" anyone here an apology for what she wrote whether it was written on purpose or she "worded it incorrectly to your likening"  Get off her back.  LET IT GO! She doesn't need your confirmation whether or not her apology was good enough. 

At first I thought Luna was being condescending to Faire until I read on and realized that she is the only one on this forum willing to stand up against the forum police, the grammar Nazi's and outright bullies and those of you that like to just blather on for no reason.

People have committed suicide because they were bullied or berated on social media forums so before you go telling people that they need thicker skin or they should not be on forums if they are so sensitive think about that. 

So are we being too nice? Hell no

If you want to see what group is comprised of who just watch the reactions to this post....because they won't be able to help themselves. Click it. You know you want to.

Discuss this post and leave Faire alone!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Grow. Up.

A complete sentence, even a one-word sentence, needs to have a noun and a verb. In one-word sentences the subject (noun) or the action (verb) of the sentence is implied. ... Be careful though, sometimes you can sound robotic or rude if you use too many one-word sentences

If you removed the period between the two it becomes a sentence.  

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

A complete sentence, even a one-word sentence, needs to have a noun and a verb. In one-word sentences the subject (noun) or the action (verb) of the sentence is implied. ... Be careful though, sometimes you can sound robotic or rude if you use too many one-word sentences

1 hour ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

the grammar Nazi's

Just in case Rowan's response wasn't specific enough

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Grammar Nazi?  Oh nvm.

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

Just in case Rowan's response wasn't specific enough

Thank you so much Captain Obvious! Just another example of blathering for no reason.

12 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:
30 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Grow. Up.

That's an intriguing one.  I think this style is becoming more common these days, maybe because people are carrying their texting habits into daily speech.  Essentially, the period between "Grow" and "Up" is acting as an ellipsis, as if he were writing "Grow ... up," using the ellipsis to add emphasis to "up".  Punctuation is acting as a grammatical pause, as usual, but in a novel way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's an intriguing one.  I think this style is becoming more common these days, maybe because people are carrying their texting habits into daily speech.  Essentially, the period between "Grow" and "Up" is acting as an ellipsis, as if he were writing "Grow ... up," using the ellipsis to add emphasis to "up".  Punctuation is acting as a grammatical pause, as usual, but in a novel way.

I've learned to enjoy language drift, though I'm still having some difficulty with "me and her went shopping". I never really learned to use colons, semicolons, and hyphens, so I lean on the ellipsis a lot, as you may have noticed. One new trick I enjoy (though not yet enough to do it) is the use of "because" as a preposition. It makes me grin because... efficiency.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1032 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.