Asian shape: Anyone knows a good place?

Elisaisabel Munro

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi!

Since i started to pIay on sl i knew something: make the avie looks like me, so places i visit will be almost like i visited myself  (and a touch of imagination).. But now i want a japanese avie and i need a shape for it. 

The shape i'm wearing don't know where did i get it (maybe from a skin from rotten toe) and before that, the original shape wich came from the avie.

I wander if all the shape builders model and shape a basic one into the form they want and then sell it or do a technical stuff, use a program or something... I'm asking this out of curiosity and because i don't have too much money to spend.  If it's just manage some controllers with the actual shape i have, i'll do it.  I don't have to much time to build, i want to do something else.

If anyone knows a place where i can find japanese or chinese shapes, that looks autentic (not just the tipical chinese eyes and that's it 'cause i see a lot of them, i'm talking about actual japanese looks aliike) plese let me know.  I don't know why i can't find any on marketplace nor 'search sl'

Thank you so much

Elisaisabel

All shape makers start out with a standard shape. You can do the same. In your inventory sidebar tab, below the list, click the '+' sign, select 'New body part->Shape' and name it. Wear it, right-click yourself and select 'Edit Shape'. Then you can change you shape the way you want to by dragging the sliders in the different sections. 

- Luc -

Tuty's sell Japanese and Chinese skins and a range of celebrity shapes to go with them (Lucy Liu, Zhang Ziyi etc.). They also have a freebie 'Oriental' skin which is a useful base for experimenting with shapes. You could also try DrLife and Tokyo Girl. I'm sure there are many others.

As Luc said, the shape doesnt have to be Asian, but the skin does. Mrs has 2 or 3 lovely skins (shape is included in the package), including a beautiful Gong Li one:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/fr-FR/products/search?search[category_id]=&search[maturity_level]=GMA&search[keywords]=gong+li

Also check EAB Skin Artistry BODYSHOP:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/fr-FR/stores/79789

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Tutys-Jing-FREEBIE-ORIENTAL-SKIN-FULL-SET-OF-MAKE-UP/646472

The free Tuty's/MrS skin I mentioned. Great freebie.

edit: Just to be careful, I'll apologise for any offence I might have caused by the terms 'Oriental' and 'Asian'. I beleive 'East  and South-East Asian' is more correct, and still might not be inclusive enough of all the variety of Chinese, Japanese, Malaysian, Thai, Laotian, Korean and many other peoples.

I think the words vary according to language/culture, hopefully the OP knows everyone here is trying to help. Sometimes words can be too fussy, or PC. I don't care if someone calls me white, Caucasian, honky, whatever so long as it's done with affection or humor. ;)

Call me gringa and there might be a fight. Lol  (In some places it's not meant very nice at all.)

Hi everyone and thank you everyone!!!

I did find some stuff at tutty's, but i though, it' not oriental just for the chinese eyes.. it's the hole face shape, not just the eyes what's importante.

I went to Dr Life and i didn't find any shape, just skins.  

Skins 50%, shape 50%, i know...

I'm on a slow (very slow) machine, and i can't play sl here   :-(((   But when i reach to my pc, i will search and find all your suggestions and i will tell on detail.

I like to find and search, it's one of my favorite stuff to do on sl..  

TY for your suggestions and for been just as crazy like me about sl!

For my money, there is absolutely no better Asian female skin, hair, or shape than those offered by DrLife. Yes, you can fiddle with your avatar on your own, but in real world terms, US$10 will buy you all three. On the other hand, finding Asian male components of the same superlative quality is impossible. I'll check the places posted in this thread and keep my fingers crossed. I spoke with DrLife's designer today, and it doesn't sound like she plans to get into male lines anytime soon. ;-; Maybe she'll design one on commission.

While I agree Drlife skins are very well done, I think they are all too similar to each other. If you do decide to pull the trigger on one of those skins just realize that it will not be very unique.

I was checking Dr Life, but i didn't find any good SHAPES, not as asian as i can expect.. and i was thinking that i can't create the asian shape out of any shape that i have... but.. the final touch it's the skin???

Eather way, i rather practice doing a shape myself.  Will be that possible?

• 2 weeks later...

Elisaisabel, I send you one of my shapes 'Mei' that is modifiable. :matte-motes-grin:

When I make shapes not based on anyone in particular I look for pictures on Google Images of different 'races' of people- as many individuals as I can to get a very general idea of features and proportions (which vary a lot of course, theres not one 'look' for an entire country or ethnic group). If you have a Japanese movie star or model you want to look like, look for front and side pics of that person and play around with the different head and face toggles, then (imo) do the body settings last. It takes patience to get it right. Should you pay 4000L for a shape? No, you shouldn't. Anyone with some patience can make a shape that looks nice.

Also, this might be of interest, there's some artist tutorials for drawing different ethnicities by Cedarseed: 

http://cedarseed.deviantart.com/art/Guide-to-Human-Types-part-1-32046017

http://cedarseed.deviantart.com/art/Guide-to-Human-Types-part-2-33220929

http://cedarseed.deviantart.com/art/Guide-to-Human-Types-part-3-34877428

http://cedarseed.deviantart.com/art/Guide-to-Human-Types-Addendum-33097648

(Click on "Download Image" to see the tutorial)

Making an avatar shape is different from drawing of course but there's some good general info there.

Glance has two excellent Asian female skins. The one is use is called "Ling." It has a northeast Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) color and features. The Ling is now in the discounted section of the store. Each makeup is just 500L at the discounted price. I bought the plain makeup and then add my own eyeliners and blushes using layers. 

Laq also has a skin called Mima that fits an Asian shape well. Laq has a shape to match it. The two together look more southeast Asian or Pacific Islander to me. 

One problem is that Japanese designers themselves don't tend to produce "realistic" looking skins. Most Japanese members I know want to go either with the anime type look or go Western. 

FWIW, I am of Japanese descent in RL. I've been in SL since 2006 but haven't posted in the forum until now. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.