Bereft and homeless

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 999 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

One of SL's larger builds was taken down today.

beccabereft.thumb.png.f1c02e404a7199c6bd44b21208ae2897.png

One of the larger builds on SL was taken down today. The owner has left Second Life.

One of my NPCs lived there. Becca survived the land clearing. Her usual places to visit are gone. She continues to try to reach the seaside and houses she's visited for a year. She walks as far as she can towards the docks she used to walk. But they are gone, and she stops at the water's edge. Her world has changed, and she tries to deal with it. She waits for a long while, in hope the problem might be temporary. After a few minutes, she gives up waiting. She walks to another destination, where there used to be a road with houses. There's nothing but bare rock there now. Soon she'll return to the seaside and look for the docks again.

Edited by animats
Typo
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 7

3 hours ago, animats said:

One of SL's larger builds was taken down today.

beccabereft.thumb.png.f1c02e404a7199c6bd44b21208ae2897.png

One of the larger builds on SF was taken down today. The owner has left Second Life.

One of my NPCs lived there. Becca survived the land clearing. Her usual places to visit are gone. She continues to try to reach the seaside and houses she's visited for a year. She walks as far as she can towards the docks she used to walk. But they are gone, and she stops at the water's edge. Her world has changed, and she tries to deal with it. She waits for a long while, in hope the problem might be temporary. After a few minutes, she gives up waiting. She walks to another destination, where there used to be a road with houses. There's nothing but bare rock there now. Soon she'll return to the seaside and look for the docks again.

And stalk anyone that comes onto the parcel just to say, "Hello"?

Also, what is "SF"?

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

Oh!  That is where the store I was browsing yesterday is...  was?

I doubt it, there were no stores at port Langdale, only residentals and boat moorings. Here's how it used to look:

bilde.png.1a76b12a9226049e885926dbf02d97bf.png

21 hours ago, animats said:

One of the larger builds on SL was taken down today. The owner has left Second Life.

That's not quite true. I haven't completely left SL yet because I still have some very good friends I'd hate to loose touch with. I also have to maintain my stores of course. I probably won't add much of my recent builds to them but apart from some old outdated stuff I should have taken down long ago anyway, I'll keep the listings I already have on MP.

But I've given up on Greater Coniston, I just couldn't justify spending hundreds of dollars and unpaid work hours every month on something that didn't give me anything worthwhile in return. Also of course, there was the problem @Sister Nova mentioned in this post. She was my next door neighbor and this is how our builds used to blend together:

bilde.png.5d0211ee7432e0fc8a4f923293d914ee.png

Can you tell where the border between her (now abandoned) land and mine (also now abandoned) goes?

By sheer luck this part of mainland was inhabited for several years by people who all wanted to make the sum greater than the parts. That changed recently though, significantly reducing the value of the area. I'm not saying there should be coherent landscapes on mainland - that's a different discussion for a different thread - I'm just stating the fact that there aren't.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 3

57 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

I doubt it, there were no stores at port Langdale, only residentals and boat moorings. Here's how it used to look:

bilde.png.1a76b12a9226049e885926dbf02d97bf.png

That's not quite true. I haven't completely left SL yet because I still have some very good friends I'd hate to loose touch with. I also have to maintain my stores of course. I probably won't add much of my recent builds to them but apart from some old outdated stuff I should have taken down long ago anyway, I'll keep the listings I already have on MP.

But I've given up on Greater Coniston, I just couldn't justify spending hundreds of dollars every month on something that didn't give me anything worthwhile in return. Also of course, there was the problem @Sister Nova mentioned in this post. She was my next door neighbor and this is how our builds used to blend together:

bilde.png.5d0211ee7432e0fc8a4f923293d914ee.png

Can you tell where the border between her (now abandoned) land and mine (also now abandoned) goes?

By sheer luck this part of mainland was inhabited for several years by people who all wanted to make the sum greater than the parts. That changed recently though, significantly reducing the value of the area. I'm not saying there should be coherent landscapes on mainland - that's a different discussion for a different thread - I'm sjust stating the fact that there aren't.

The horror story I related in the link you posted above was the parcel I had before coming to the one you show in the picture. I loved this parcel as I had always wanted to have land near to your town where I have had MANY rentals :P

I'm so sorry to see the end of Greater Coniston, and my rented brown house in the top picture.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ChinRey said:

But I've given up on Greater Coniston, I just couldn't justify spending hundreds of dollars every month on something that didn't give me anything worthwhile in return.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

cry.thumb.png.6ce46be6b9acf28e123cd6511401e213.png

32 minutes ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Yes. Nothing lasts forever. Greater Coniston lasted for seven years, two years of enthusiasm and five of frustration, and that's a long time by SL standards.

I'm working on something much bigger now but it will be on opensim of course, I have no need whatsoever for Second Life. I was going to include Greater Coniston in this new project but it would require so many modifications (a different scale for a start, no more oversized buidings) it's easier to build a new town on the same theme from scratch.

There's no hidden lake in the Hidden Lake District anymore though. For those who never saw it, here it is:

bilde.thumb.png.13873db50f230c1bc37934b31bdb6cda.png

I never got around to add the trees to the hills around it.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

I was homeless for most of my life in SL. While I have a skybox now it's through the charity of a long-time friend. It's definitely nice to have a place to call your own. It's also sad to see places you used to call home disappear. Back when I was still married my ex and I had our own little quarter sim. It only lasted a few years but I have many fond memories of it. I hope you're able to find a new home soon. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 999 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.