I'm being targeted

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1033 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

I think the trouble here is not the little emoticons to react to posts with the problem is the attitude of a lot of people on this forum.

perhaps better : I think the trouble here is not the little emoticons to react to posts with the problem is the attitude of a lot of people on this World

and not only how you , most likely mean it, but in all members .. snowflakes, too lazy to search, betitling, lecturing, intollerance for other opinions, sjw, totally wrong suggestions, and don't forget to first put a warm blanket on the poor souls before answering their very special delicate unique posts , and not to forget the ones measuring others on their non SL blogs.

• Like 4

Hello, it’s me being confused again (lol).

Scornful laugh? How do you know if it’s scornful? Are we discussing the laugh reaction, that generally means you find something funny? These interpretations are vast (and unnecessary). In all likelihood, somebody has probably used the trophy (thank you) react with a sarcastic mindset, but without being in their head, you wouldn’t know. 

I’d just like to reaffirm the “ignore and move on” track of things. This sounds like a distinct issue of over analyzing the situation and I’m tired for you.

@JUSTUS Palianta - in this case, I’m just really not seeing any way at all that the OP can be helped, other than virtual hugs and affirmations that not everyone is out to get them, we’re all in this together, etc. BUT even then, that isn’t really helping, more just putting peanut butter on the whole situation. We can’t really help hurt feelings from interpretations. It isn’t meant to be ‘mean’ - it just is what it is. 

Edited by norajulian
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

I guess they wrongly assumed this is a place you could come for help.

On the contrary, you can get a lot of help from the forums, but some of the things that people usually do lash out against is when people make no effort whatsoever to find that information on their own, but start a new thread when that very same issue was brought up just days earlier by someone else - the 'regulars' on the forums can easily see the same questions repeat over and over in absurdum, rather than people using the search functions or browsing existing threads, or in some cases using the in-world channels (people asking questions about various HUD games or pregnancy systems, or specific brands of products, which can be very niche).

But many times it's not the answers, but rather that people get upset because the answers don't suit them. People who bring up their private relationship dramas because they 'need help deciding XYZ' but really just expect sympathy, who get hurt in the feels because someone gives them a pragmatic suggestion. People who have absolutely terrible business ideas going onto a forum to look for random people who might be interested in funding it - when met with advise, or harsh but constructive criticism, they feel 'personally attacked'. 

This isn't a kindergarten, we don't have to treat everyone as if they are fragile and impressionable. You shouldn't be in Second Life at all if you aren't 18 years of age (or is it 16 for G-restricted participation?), you're well old enough to be addressed as an adult by the time you should be here. If you're prone to being offended by strangers not sharing your opinions or supporting your bad ideas and decisions, you probably shouldn't be 'on the Internet' at all, if even society.

One needs to learn to separate oneself as a person from one's ideas and opinions - people not agreeing with what you say does not necessarily mean that they are hateful or mean-spirited towards your person; it means that they just disagree with what you say. I don't think there's anyone on these forums with whom I agree with 100% of the time, that doesn't mean we can't be civil, or even friends. Heck, I don't even agree with myself 100% of the time, but myself and I are on fairly good terms all the same!

When things do reach actual harassment or a personal conflict, the moderators tend to be quite expedient with slapping people on their fingers and cleaning up posts or even locking threads. If you feel as if you are genuinely targeted by genuine harassment, report the people in question and let the moderators deal with it; though LL's usual response to any such conflicts are always that you should block/ignore/mute those people, punishments tend to be considered only if the behaviour is in gross violation of the guidelines.

• Like 12

22 minutes ago, norajulian said:

Scornful laugh? How do you know if it’s scornful?

That's an easy one.  When there is absolutely nothing in a post that could be considered remotely funny, even for an idiot, and the poster is targeting someone and does this to every one of her posts, then it is scornful, and not funny.

22 minutes ago, norajulian said:

I’d just like to reaffirm the “ignore and move on” track of things

Yep Ignore, like ignore the emoticon that you still see is the only solution.  But Ignore in itself does not ignore the emoticon reaction from an Ignored User.  This is not a personal complaint, I am thinking about some other long-term posters that get laughed at every time they post, despite the post being not funny, and usually intelligent.  There is usually only one person laughing, while everyone else gives Thanks, Likes, or Confusion.  If you can't figure this out without names, you are not a regular here.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

That's an easy one.  When there is absolutely nothing in a post that could be considered remotely funny, even for an idiot

But how would you know what somebody finds funny? How is this an “easy one”? There are some people who process information and react differently than the norm, so while we’re being overly sensitive, those “idiots” may very well just have a different thought process than you. 😉 

If you go into a situation expecting to be offended, chances are high that you’re going to feel offended. Most of the time, our emotional reactions are a response to the conditioning we’ve provided for ourselves in situations that could be even remotely related at best. 

To clarify: are you upset that others have more “points” than you, or are you upset on behalf of those who haven’t spoken for themselves about the hypothetical points? 

We are so active this morning! 🙏

• Like 2

I haven't been on this forums for a long time and I just returned a few months ago. And I can only say that the general atmosphere  has improved a lot since when I left. It is much more relaxed now than back then.

Moderation has improved al lot over the years I was not here as well.

And I'm very happy this forum is still very much about SL.  The other big one that started as an SL forum I frequent (VVO) is now a days more about everything else and just a tiny bit about SL.

And those reaction scores?
Yeah right..... high school stuff.

I would have chosen a different set of reaction buttons if I had a say during the development of a forum (agree-disagree-like-hug-laugh) but we have to work with the ones LL gave us.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

Does it hurt when someone gives out an confused emoticon?

I can't say I noticed it. I can't say I let anonymous strangers on a forum upset me. I can not control what people read into my posts. But if someone react with confused, well why is that so bad? They are puzzled? They think I was unclear? Silly? They were in a bad mood just because?

I read one post from the threadstarter listing up how TMP has changed name to Meshbody, and how all the different names of their different bodies should be named. I also reacted with "confused" and that was partly because I find the Meshbody name practice confusing and annoying. The other part was more "Yawn, what does this long list of names have to do with anything..."

Then I saw how badly that poster took it, and then she started a new thread about the "confused" reaction. Then I thought, maybe I should go back and remove my reaction? Then I decided not to. I do not know how much distress I could have caused her, if she saw I had reacted, and then removed the reaction.

It is not even mean words, it is a small yellow face. I have never put anyone on an ignore list for emoticons. Or anyone that has disagreed with me.

Please reply with lots of confused faces, because I want to find out how many emoticons it takes before it hurts.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Desiree Moonwinder said:

The problem with the reaction counts is that you have to wade through extra posts due to people having a like-fest with their alts.  

But how does reactions add more posts?

When several new posters, one-day old without any previous posts jump into threads to defend another. They create more posts, not a simple "like".

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

perhaps better : I think the trouble here is not the little emoticons to react to posts with the problem is the attitude of a lot of people on this World

and not only how you , most likely mean it, but in all members .. snowflakes, too lazy to search, betitling, lecturing, intollerance for other opinions, sjw, totally wrong suggestions, and don't forget to first put a warm blanket on the poor souls before answering their very special delicate unique posts , and not to forget the ones measuring others on their non SL blogs.

Scorpina.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

That's an easy one.  When there is absolutely nothing in a post that could be considered remotely funny,

Agreed and it's bullying.  I woke in the middle of the night remembering a movie I had watched years ago called "The Elephant Man".  Perhaps some could watch that movie before they hand out their idiotic laughs at things that are not funny period nor confusing.  The ones leaving those scornful laughs and confused reactions are the ones who need to learn how to scroll past instead of upsetting others.  Watch The Elephant Man and watch the horrible scornful laughs he gets.  He was thought not appropriate for any "society" either.  One should be able to bar reactions from a forum user when they are on ignore but then they start going after others and disrupting the discussion again.

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Agreed and it's bullying.  I woke in the middle of the night remembering a movie I had watched years ago called "The Elephant Man".  Perhaps some could watch that movie before they hand out their idiotic laughs at things that are not funny period nor confusing.  The ones leaving those scornful laughs and confused reactions are the ones who need to learn how to scroll past instead of upsetting others.  Watch The Elephant Man and watch the horrible scornful laughs he gets.  He was thought not appropriate for any "society" either.

Totally. By the end of the 22nd century, filmmakers are going to make movies about how cruelly people clicked on reaction buttons on random Internet forums.

And leaving a laughing emoticon at someone because you think what they are saying is silly or absurd is totally comparable to kids physically and psychologically torturing each other until they're psychologically scarred for the rest of their lives, or choose to hurt themselves or even end their own lives because they can't cope.

In years to come, there will be charities out there to care for adults who were emotionally destabilised by receiving a reaction which they interpreted as negative, I'm sure!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1033 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.