What are you doing for the Fourth of July?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1006 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I started to pass this thread by, because the 4th is always conflicted for people like me 🙂 

I’m happy to celebrate the occasion, but the run-up to it and the day itself can makE me a little bonkers….

It’s all the noise and random fireworks for weeks, leading up to the day……

I am not Little Miss Killjoy, I just have issues with random bangs and explosions. I have a very good reason to be “alarmed” when I hear them. I also have a lot of company in this situation and we generally suffer in silence.

THIS year a bunch of us have rented a group of cabins out in the woods (we have a lot of woods) and the plan is to have an all night get together. This will be about forty men and women (all veterans) and their significant others. A chance to see old friends, meet new ones and enjoy a zero-trigger Fourth 🙂

This is not a rant; if you like a loud and bangy 4th - have a blast 🙂 (Pun intended)

For those of you who choose to celebrate; best wishes. I will be celebrating too….just quieter 🙂

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148868d45be5589c03fdbd5

Edited by Amanda Crisp
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

What are you doing for the Fourth of July?

Whatever 96% of all the people on this planet do on any Sunday early in July. Sleep in. Feed the cat. Get outraged by the ongoing global CPU and GPU shortage. Fly a plane at never enough FPS. Listen to the birds and the low rumble of cargo trucks on the A2 motorway miles away at night while reading this forum.

• Like 3

Watching the Tour de France.
9th Stage from Cluses to Tignes. Finish up hill at an altitude of 2107 mtrs after a 20 km climb.
With halfway the stage the famous Col du Pré (HC).
What else?

It's good to be European during a sports summer.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

My 2nd COVID shot isn’t until July 6 & my family is a week behind me on theirs, so we will be at home.

Which let’s be real, I’d be staying home anyways cause I live in the state of okla-sauna.  It’ll likely be a heat index of 100+ and 95% humidity.  I usually wind up watching the NYC or Washington DC fireworks on tv.  But I’ll also be consoling my 2 Boston Terriers who get freaked out every time the neighbors blow things up in celebration of something.  💥 🧨 💣 

• Like 3

On 6/20/2021 at 6:24 PM, Gopi Passiflora said:

Me? I'll probably just go downtown, maybe catch the fireworks or something....

Same thing I do every year. Stay inside out of the heat and away from all ID 10 T's.

Or, if I am lucky, find a nice shady spot on a clearwater cold creek with a sandy bank where no one else goes for a night or two and count the stars.

• Like 2

I'll be playing American/US songs and artists that celebrate our country and cultures in an SL club 4th of July evening.  I would rather sit on my balcony, have another beer and bratwurst, and watch the illegal fireworks from the neighbors across the valley.  I may find some really long songs, so I can run outside and watch the fireworks for a few minutes.  The fact that we are in a drought with a high fire hazard won't deter the illegal displays.  

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1

The US didn't get it's independence on 4th July 1776, it only "declared" independence by writing and signing a petition of it's intentions on that date.   The Treaty of Paris, which ended the conflict, was signed (in Paris) on 3rd September 1783 and this treaty which granted independence only came into effect on 12th May 1784.

So you really should be doing it annually on 12th May.... 😛

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Independence Day (colloquially the Fourth of July or July 4) is a federal holiday in the United States commemorating the Declaration of Independence of the United States, on July 4, 1776. The Continental Congress declared that the thirteen American colonies were no longer subject (and subordinate) to the monarch of Britain, King George III, and were now united, free, and independent states.[1] The Congress had voted to declare independence two days earlier, on July 2, but it was not declared until July 4.[1]

We declared our independence from King George III on July 4th, 1776. The end of the Revolutionary War and Peace Treaty is not relevant to our Declaration of Independence Day.

July 4th (or July 2nd) was the precursor, the Declaration of Independence, to the Revolutionary War, which lasted from Apr 19, 1775 – Sep 3, 1783.

England lost btw.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 2

Same as I do on every other ordinary Sunday. Maybe go out for lunch with my partner if the weather is nice. The only "4th of July" stuff we get in the UK is that a few pubs will do promotions on American beers (looking at you, Wetherspoons).  I'm not a great fan of beer, but I might go for a Californian Chardonnay instead.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

Assuming of course it doesn't get cancelled by the "woke brigade"....

.. .. Or put to sleep .. ..

tumblr_lyu0quThMd1rn95k2o1_500.gif

Since this thread is about Independence Day for the United States, here is a website that gives you more information then you needed to know:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190622164753/http://technotes.whw1.com/all/78-differences-days-of-memorial-veterans-independence-and-labor#What-is-Independence-Day-in-USA

*What is Independence Day in USA?

Independence Day is celebrated on 4th of July of each year in the USA and it is the celebration of the day the United States Of America's declared it's independence from the control, ownership, and abuse of Great Britain (United Kingdom/Britain/England).  In essence, it is when USA was born and declared it's freedom from the rule and ownership of Great Britain.  From the Deceleration of Independence document, "these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved".5  Independence Day is a federal holiday in the USA.  Independence Day is often referred to as "July 4th", or "4th Of July", but those phrases are not substitute names, and reference the date the holiday is celebrated.  In current times, Independence Day is commonly celebrated with lighting of fireworks or electronic light shows, music, and outdoor activities (picnics and games), the display of the "American" flag (USA flag), and the display of the USA flag colors red, white, and blue.  Although, early celebration of Independence day was done with display of the color green.

*Independence Day is correct, and not 4th Of July

And much more on that site - including Britain as being the only country that ever invaded the United States twice and burned down our Capitol building.

Most people would be surprised to find out that after USA declared independence from Britain in 1776 CE, the British attacked the USA capitol on two separate occasions in the early 1800s, and burned down the USA capitol, and after each occasion the capitol was rebuilt. The United Kingdom (Britain) has been the only country that has successfully invaded USA and taken over it's capitol. 

Edited by Jaylinbridges

Watching the second Austrian Grand Prix and picking through the leftovers from Canada Day, which will match the Sunday before when I will be watching the first Austrian Grand Prox and picking through the leftovers from La Fête nationale du Québec

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1006 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.