Kinda bummed out about SLB

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I didn't hear anything about begging people to fill stores in the 18 regions of shopping, not in the SL Birthday group at least where shop and hop chatter has been happening. Saw a lot of the same stores I see at every shop and hop event only saw one store unfilled on early access day. If they really had begged for people to fill stores after applications had closed I might've put my hat in to the ring 

23 minutes ago, rainbow Fairymeadow said:

I have to stores in SL and I put in Apps for both stores for SLB. As far as I know neither of my stores were accepted but yet I hear they were begging people to fill the last few stores before opening.

Kinda bummed about that 😔

From whom did you hear this, and what leads you to believe that it's true (or even at all likely)?

You never really know what will happen with the shop & hop. The birthday last year was my first shop & hop acceptance. I was rejected for the next one I applied for, then accepted again this birthday. Prior to that, I'd always been rejected. Other events are more reliable for knowing I'll be able to take part. Basically, it doesn't mean you're terrible.

• Like 1

It looks a lot like the Christmas event, but then without the Christmas decoration.
A lot of the same shop holders as well.
Nothing to really get excited about as a consumer IMHO.
I gave up after visiting 3 of the sims.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

It looks a lot like the Christmas event, but then without the Christmas decoration.
A lot of the same shop holders as well.
Nothing to really get excited about as a consumer IMHO.
I gave up after visiting 3 of the sims.

I went to your store and you had perfectly nice creations, I don't know why you weren't chosen, it could be an arbitrary or random cut-off. I hardly ever buy jewelry but I think a lot of people would. Could it be they are focused more on house wares to fill up their Linden Homes? I didn't see very many clothing stores but then I have only seen perhaps half of it. I personally am more interested in furniture and decor but obviously clothing and accessories are very big in SL.

No one ever thinks to create an alternative residents' birthday. The Linden in fact gave up on the birthday themselves after facing criticism for how they did it in past years, then a few years ago they decided to pick it up and make it very much their own. The birthday isn't just theirs, of course, so maybe the thing to do is create an alternative.  In fact there's an event I happen to be in that is parallel to the birthday. 

I guess they will want to pick the very top brands that help them get taxes from the LindEx, and who can blame them, they have to run a business and make business decisions that are not always to our liking or even harm us, that's the way of this world, that's for sure.

@Sid I think it's unfair to say that it is ordinary or so-so. I saw some creators really knocking themselves out and they all had to provide free gifts as well. To be sure, some were phoning it in and putting out their Fantasy Faire stuff again, but who can blame them? I did exactly the same thing in another event I was in, at my level, this stuff is hard and exhausting and I think even at the top levels they get burnt out.

This year, the Lindens put everything into one big alphabetical list finally. I don't know why it took them so long and they were separating them by sim. No one cares about the sims.

It seems less laggy then past events but then I don't see as many shoppers, well, what can you do, summer, people go outside.

• Like 1

There WAS a call out to have "friends" (you could actually have your own second brand and some folks did) at this shop and hop. There were three sims that never were filled.  While the event appears to be "more inclusive" than before not EVERYONE got in.  I believe it still tells you there are no guarantees on the application form. There were times that "I" didn't get in and times that I did.  Plenty of reasons.  

Trying to fill 380 spots was a very big endeavor and one that I personally didn't think was so wise. But it did keep the overflow areas of the past from being needed and there are still plenty of people over there (the Addams sim has been full for-e-ver) so hopefully creators will still do OK.   I will be very interested to hear how this round compared to past ones with less regions.   So far I haven't heard. 

Yes, anecdotal comments from a creator friend of over ten years.  So believe it or not :D. I do.

The shopping mall was a huge mistake. It's never ending. Exhausting. Full of regular shops with regular things that can be bought elsewhere without the stress. Bogged down under the weight of thousands of caspervend scripts.

They should have gone with the event model - Limited space & Li (display must be X li and fit in a xyz sized box), a theme and expectation that there would be at least one event exclusive item for sale. Applications should have been opened earlier and everyone who was able to apply and get a booth constructed by a cut off date should have been accepted. 

• Like 7

Well.. Its all good and thanks for the uplifting responses. :) Every once in a while its good to hear you aren't just doing a crap job lol.

I have been in SL about 15 yrs. Learning more everyday. I'm just really quiet.. I love what I do and will keep doing it. I also LOVE for all it brings us :)

Its all good! I just felt like venting. I dont much.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Are sl birthdays shopping events now? When i started in sl it was like a burning man thing, people got plots and made stuff. 

That's still a thing .. Built a huge rocket ship for Catznip this year. Although I will say the foot traffic is noticeably lower than previous years.

KF81P8r.png

• Like 6

Just a word of consolation.  I will never ever go to the SLB shopping mall again.  Well, not until I can have an exclusive preview visit anyway.  Shopping in lag (aka crowds) is no fun at all.  I'd rather spend my money at GreenFruit (not it's real name, but you get the idea) after a release.9_9

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The shopping mall was a huge mistake. It's never ending. Exhausting. Full of regular shops with regular things that can be bought elsewhere without the stress. Bogged down under the weight of thousands of caspervend scripts.

They should have gone with the event model - Limited space & Li (display must be X li and fit in a xyz sized box), a theme and expectation that there would be at least one event exclusive item for sale. Applications should have been opened earlier and everyone who was able to apply and get a booth constructed by a cut off date should have been accepted. 

Someone was telling me in Teamspeak that the never ending mall was ultra laggy and she was on a high end machine. Always thought that Caspervends were laggy especially if you have a zillions of them. I've seen a shop switch to Casper and the area got more laggy --- like when a mall or club has a Lindo camper thing.

Anything is laggy if you have zillions of them.

Now if only LL could make the SLM the product delivery backend for everything, set a slm product ID as a prim parameter and make buy just fetch it from there. no scripts. no nonsense. unified seamless shopping experience.

• Like 5

On 6/21/2021 at 8:11 AM, Anna Nova said:

Just a word of consolation.  I will never ever go to the SLB shopping mall again.  Well, not until I can have an exclusive preview visit anyway.  Shopping in lag (aka crowds) is no fun at all.  I'd rather spend my money at GreenFruit (not it's real name, but you get the idea) after a release.9_9

Every shop and hop opens some days prior, for people that are in the official Second Life birthday group ...no lag at all when you go there then. Just an advice for the next one ╰(*´︶`*)╯

And also I really do not know how they chose stores, your store would have been much nicer than some stores, one was completely filled with skill gaming machines for example. And quite some of the stores looked like it is 2007 all-over again (´⊙ω⊙`)!

But I love the SLBs, for other reasons tho, like the tapestry of time and the exhibition are always fun ( ◜‿◝ )♡

Tapestry of time is well put together and very beautiful. 

I only really have two criticisms - There are some huge transparent barriers around the central memorial that interfere with camming, which is essential when a build has abandoned all notions of relative vertical scale. And, heard more than one person expressing in local chat (!!!) frustration getting the media on a prim videos to work.

MOAP really needs more design iteration.

• Moles
9 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Tapestry of time is well put together and very beautiful. 

I only really have two criticisms - There are some huge transparent barriers around the central memorial that interfere with camming, which is essential when a build has abandoned all notions of relative vertical scale. And, heard more than one person expressing in local chat (!!!) frustration getting the media on a prim videos to work.

MOAP really needs more design iteration.

What problems were those?   I've been round using both the Official Viewer and, with my alt, both Firestorm and Catznip, and shared media/media on a prim seemed to be working as expected each time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quartz Mole said:

What problems were those?   I've been round using both the Official Viewer and, with my alt, both Firestorm and Catznip, and shared media/media on a prim seemed to be working as expected each time.

It worked ok for me too. I'm not suggesting a technical problem with the actual build, more of a general MOAP accessibility issue, disparities between how MOAP is presented in the various viewers and what hoops are required for people to jump though to make it work.

• Thanks 1

• Moles
44 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

It worked ok for me too. I'm not suggesting a technical problem with the actual build, more of a general MOAP accessibility issue, disparities between how MOAP is presented in the various viewers and what hoops are required for people to jump though to make it work.

It's on by default in the Official Viewer, so no hoops required there to make it work.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 11:40 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

That's still a thing .. Built a huge rocket ship for Catznip this year. Although I will say the foot traffic is noticeably lower than previous years.

KF81P8r.png

A lot of US COVID restrictions are being lifted and a lot of people are going outside for the first time in a while. Last Summer we were all pretty much locked down, but a lot of states are either almost completely unlocked or are very close. It's not just SL traffic that's been down, my RL internet stuff is way down too, but it's slowly recovering. I think all these cyber-attacks have been affecting things negatively too.

1 hour ago, Quartz Mole said:

It's on by default in the Official Viewer, so no hoops required there to make it work.

But no one is going to roll up in FS and fall back to the official client when something doesn't appear to function. It's hard enough to get people to do that when validating actual bugs ... to the point they will actually lie about having tried it in order to skip ahead when resolving problems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

But no one is going to roll up in FS and fall back to the official client when something doesn't appear to function. It's hard enough to get people to do that when validating actual bugs ... to the point they will actually lie about having tried it in order to skip ahead when resolving problems.

In that case, Firestorm might consider making it easier for new users  (and, it would seem, more experienced ones) to use shared media, to my mind.

It's forever since I've bothered to do a clean install of Firestorm (or use it for anything much, other than checking things I make work with it) but doesn't it default with shared media turned off and keeps on giving you big scary menus that few new users will bother to read whenever shared media tries to play,  dating back from when we needed protection from Red Zone?

I wish Firestorm would update their defaults on shared media -- as I said, it's on by default in the Official Viewer, and I've been wandering round the grid with it turned on for the last few years at least without many surprises.       Shared media really isn't that scary any more. 

• Like 2

My 2cents on Shared media: In my viewer of choice, it's as simple as toggling media on or off in the sound dropdown. I usually keep it off because even with the volume down a good deal, media prims are super loud (IIRC they ignore distance), and if they have sound it's usually nothing I want to hear. If I hear something I dislike and turn media off it usually takes over a minute for the media sound to actually stop, so I leave it off by default. Personally I would leave visual media on if it could be separated from the sound it may or may not produce. I would love to be able to have a default volume of zero and manually turn up the volume for specific media objects I actually notice and care to hear.

Edited by Quistessa
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.