Horror Roleplay.

LottaSinclair

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 114 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone;

I'm exploring new themes and settings for roleplay and I'm trying to get into some that I haven't experienced yet.

I'm looking to get into some horror roleplay, however I'm faced with a lack of people to roleplay with, even for such a broad theme.

Does anybody know any good, active communities, welcoming of new and casual roleplayers?

Any groups that are particularly active, whose members regularly participate in group chat or host roleplay sessions regularly? 

I live in an awkward time zone that makes it difficult to catch groups of people at particular times. I've joined the Horror Roleplayers group, but there are hardly any group notices about roleplays, particular sims and groups. Nor is there much group chat going on; I've reached out to some of the members and asked them about roleplay and some of them have told me it's a mostly inactive group. There are hardly any other groups for horror roleplaying as a whole, except for particular places which seem hardly active.

I've been to a few different sims with mixed results; there aren't many that I would say are very active, enough so that at most times of the day, there are people around to interact with, such as in a place like Clifton Forge. I'm looking for a place with a relatively modern setting, but with a particular emphasis on horror, not just dark fantasy or supernatural themes. 

Does anybody have any suggestions? Any help would be very much appreciated;

- Charlotte Sinclair

• Like 2

It depends on what you are looking for is it lore based? I mean I just started one not even two weeks ago I haven't been on due to RL like most people are depending on RL stuff as for mine its new with not that many people but its lore based with horror and supernatural with paranormal mixed. if you are interested feel free to let me know.

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, xxVi3perxx said:

It depends on what you are looking for is it lore based? I mean I just started one not even two weeks ago I haven't been on due to RL like most people are depending on RL stuff as for mine its new with not that many people but its lore based with horror and supernatural with paranormal mixed. if you are interested feel free to let me know.

Thank you, xxVi3perxx;

I'm looking for horror roleplay in general; not necessarily anything specific other than a modern setting. This can mean lore-based roleplay or otherwise; I'm not too fussy.

It can be supernatural or paranormal, or otherwise; I'm just looking to get into pretty much any horror roleplay - it doesn't really matter what, as long as it's relatively casual, has plenty of opportunity with enough people involved (not just inactive groups or sims that are almost empty all the time) and has a modern setting. 

7 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Would be interested in lovecraftian & Peter Clines themes (14, The fold, etc), cults, vague existential dread ... 

That sounds very interesting, Coffee Pancake! I would totally love to try and get into all of that... I think Innsmouth is the first thing that comes to mind when I see "Lovecraftian"; perhaps that's a good place to start. Perhaps Bitterwick Harbor might also be good to try. Although I would like to focus on the horror aspect, not just another dark fantasy or supernatural setting without hardly any horror elements.

I'm not really fussed about anything in particular, so long as it's any kind of horror roleplay in a relatively modern setting with perhaps a good sense of community. 

Edited by LottaSinclair

I would love find some sim that do something like Horror films Like Hallowen, Friday 13, Scream, Hostel, etc etc...... , where in a town characters meeting and it run in something like characters similar to Mike Myers, Jason etc, and we try to survive etc, not see nothing like that

2 hours ago, atiyecArsi said:

I would love find some sim that do something like Horror films Like Hallowen, Friday 13, Scream, Hostel, etc

As much as I enjoy those films and others like them, playing out the kind of scenes you find in Hostel is probably nothing for everyone. It also would require a fair amount of character death (and we all know the trope of how shallow slasher film characters are - which is quite understandable considering how expendable they tend to be) - in RP, I've found that more often than not people are extremely protective of their characters, sometimes to the extreme, refusing to accept any negative actions or consequences.

But, at the same time, there have been a fair few video games of some acclaim in recent years with exactly that theme (can't remember the name of it), and I think that with some clever roleplay system for quick character creation (like, rolling some dice to pull a few character background/traits, and maybe appearance), or by implementing some lore to explain why someone who just got murdered dead is a potential victim once more (rather than doing the vampire/werewolf trope of people who get killed joining the baddies - then soon enough you'll have a venue crowded with baddies and no victims). 

I did sketch on a concept for something a bit like that a little while back, spinning off some inspiration from The Devil's Carnival, where people found themselves in a pocket realm of sorts where demons (in the guise of carnies - lots of clowns) would torment their 'visitors' in various ways. Alas that never turned into anything, as I had neither land, time, or money to build anything for it. 

But I do think that it is a possible solution for the whole running out of victims problem .. The next issue would be to find enough people who actually enjoy the prospect of being the victims. The closest thing I've found in SL are people who got off of it sexually. 

I have been pondering about this before since I'm a big fan of horror movies , having a horror roleplay would be interesting but like Orwar I have just seen people who do it as a sexual thing, but I would also imagine it being tiring having to make a new character each time they die per se. But it would of been a cool concept none the less.

Yeah,  I understand that is difficult. Sometimes I was thinking that maybe if some comunitie of people that love Horror and these kind of films do these kind of RP like in seasons. I mean, this season  from  June to Augoust, is  this historie and the killer is.... "whatever". You make the character for these season, and you asume that maybe your character die,  the  historie of these RP  finish in Ausgust. Then new season, new character for a new historie etc .

I like the RP with great histories and for me do RP is like be Actress, I never have problem with the limit or what happen with my character because the thing of the rp for me is build a great atmospher all toghether. 

Normally I do Urban RP and  Cyberpunk and always look if some Horror RP sim born in SL for these reason of love Horror films

Posted (edited)

Hello, everyone.

Thank you so much for all of your replies; 

So far I've been doing some very basic roleplay in various horror settings; usually with just a friend or a small group of friends where I take on the roles such a paranormal investigator, police officer or detective, with the others in turn taking on the roles of assistant, scientist, witness, groundskeeper and adventure tourist. There's usually somebody with a corporate, military, medical or survivalist background.

As the roleplay progresses, we make new discoveries and there's sometimes a twist in the story; usually something basic like somebody revealing a secret or setting up the other characters somehow.

Like I've mentioned above, I'm just looking for horror roleplay in general, nothing specific. It doesn't have to be a slasher-type of horror story, or necessarily have a survival aspect. The main characters don't necessarily have to die, only find themselves in gruesomely uncomfortable situations, where they may get lost, trapped, betrayed, challenged, hurt or go insane. Sometimes it can just be a whole lot of atmosphere and tension of just being in a scary place with no certainty of what will happen next. 

I'm still new to horror roleplay and horror as a genre in general, in fact - I certainly enjoy it, but I'm no expert on it. I'm sure there are all kinds of different types of horror roleplay, just with settings and scenarios alone, and I'm keen to experience as much as possible.

I'm only asking if there are active and populated groups, sims or communities that are generally present around the clock, because so far, I've just been roleplaying with friends, many of them also new to roleplaying in a horror setting. It would make it a lot easier than just asking some of my friends to join in when they're around or at a predetermined time. And of course, I would like to meet people who are familiar and experienced with horror and make friends with people who enjoy roleplaying these settings particularly. 

Edited by LottaSinclair
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 5:05 PM, atiyecArsi said:

I like the RP with great histories and for me do RP is like be Actress, I never have problem with the limit or what happen with my character because the thing of the rp for me is build a great atmospher all toghether. 

For me rp is like acting a role and I really hear this rarely. Most people I rp with cannot understand that and play themselves with different clothes. 

On 6/27/2021 at 6:41 AM, LottaSinclair said:

I'm only asking if there are active and populated groups, sims or communities that are generally present around the clock, because so far, I've just been roleplaying with friends, many of them also new to roleplaying in a horror setting. It would make it a lot easier than just asking some of my friends to join in when they're around or at a predetermined time. And of course, I would like to meet people who are familiar and experienced with horror and make friends with people who enjoy roleplaying these settings particularly. 

If they are not populated group or comminities like that, maybe it is a good idea for you to start a new one. Me and a friend would love rp something like that. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/29/2021 at 6:33 AM, jlynx47 said:

For me rp is like acting a role and I really hear this rarely. Most people I rp with cannot understand that and play themselves with different clothes. 

A role is not necessarily a completely different and made-up character with a fully considered backstory, personality, motivations and beliefs. It's just that - a role; much like being a parent or a baker, a criminal or a castaway on a raft is a role. Sure, a role could be that of a particular person, such as taking on the role of a woman named "Lucy Alistair" who has two children, a dog and is a recent migrant with a secret mission. But I never understood why people force others into such a specific expectation and definition of what a "role" is, especially that of a particular character and not just a job title or personal status.

I never understand why everybody expects me to become a completely different person, stepping into the shoes of someone completely unknown to me, relying on almost only my imagination (which I have little anyway) especially when we already take on personas in SL that are usually different to who we really are in real life. For me it just seems far more natural to step into a particular role, to adapt to a particular role as myself (in SL) and see what I can bring to that role and the wider situations I find myself in. Sure, I have aliases and differences between roles in every role, but I'm not always necessarily an entirely different person as many places and people strangely necessitate.

That's why it's called roleplay, not characterplay.

On 6/29/2021 at 6:33 AM, jlynx47 said:

If they are not populated group or comminities like that, maybe it is a good idea for you to start a new one. Me and a friend would love rp something like that. 

That's actually a very good idea that's been suggested to me before. 

I'm not experienced with this kind of roleplay; it would be best to leave it to somebody who is far more experienced and passionate about it. 

But again, there are hardly any other groups; that is, groups that broadly focus on horror roleplay in general, rather than anything specific.

That's why I'm asking if there are any groups like that, or any communities that cater for a certain horror roleplay scenario.

Edited by LottaSinclair

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 114 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.