Jump to content

Random questions


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 91 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

One question is why so many call SL's parent Linden Labs instead of Linden Lab? I see that all the time. The Linden employee who told me about SL back in 1857 emphasised there was no "s" on the name --- but many still get that wrong decades later!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

One question is why so many call SL's parent Linden Labs instead of Linden Lab? I see that all the time. The Linden employee who told me about SL back in 1857 emphasised there was no "s" on the name --- but many still get that wrong decades later!

   I'm guilty of doing it on occasion, in spite of knowing better. I also occasionally call regions 'sims'. But then I always were a bit of a rebel ...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Something I've always wondered is-- do people act like their real life selves on SL or do people act completely different more times than not because they can? Personally, I mostly act like myself but sometimes I'll step outside the box.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Yosho Sirnah said:

Something I've always wondered is-- do people act like their real life selves on SL or do people act completely different more times than not because they can?

   That's unfortunately one of those things to which there is no one answer; some people do act like their real selves, others pretend to be something or someone they aren't, whether because they assume a character for role play purposes, or because they want sympathy or admiration from strangers on the Interwebs to validate themselves - or for more nefarious reasons. Some people set out to make their avatars as similar to their RL selves as they can, others want a younger representation of themselves, or an older one, or a hedgehog. 

   So in a way it's a bit like asking whether people enjoy liquorice. Some people do, some people don't, some are very passionate in their like or dislike, others are more 'meh?' as far as liquorice is concerned.

   In Second Life I get to be a vampire. In real life, biting on people is generally frowned upon. Other than that, I'm mostly the same as far as personality and interests are concerned.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the early years I had a few avatars and alts that required different characters. But I'm to lazy for that these days.
I'm almost all the time in world as Sid now. He definitely has the same character as me in RL.
But not my looks (good for him),

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Yosho Sirnah said:

Something I've always wondered is-- do people act like their real life selves on SL or do people act completely different more times than not because they can? Personally, I mostly act like myself but sometimes I'll step outside the box.

My personality is the same here as it is in real life. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Yosho Sirnah said:

Something I've always wondered is-- do people act like their real life selves on SL or do people act completely different more times than not because they can? Personally, I mostly act like myself but sometimes I'll step outside the box.

From my experience I've seen equal amounts of all three. I fall into the third category, but it depends on if someone I meet is roleplaying and I decide to play along.

Yaaaaay for confusing meta!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

Usually because popular girls are narcissists and like to surround themselves with minions… to make themselves feel and look good 😆

ArtisticFoolhardyBorderterrier-max-1mb.g

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chalumeau Clarion

Chalumeau is the lowest and most beautiful register of the modern clarinet (my instrument).    Clarion is the name for the high register for medieval trumpets (also the middle register of the modern clarinet from which the clarinet gets its name).

 

Unique 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Doris Johnsky said:

Chalumeau Clarion

Chalumeau is the lowest and most beautiful register of the modern clarinet (my instrument).    Clarion is the name for the high register for medieval trumpets (also the middle register of the modern clarinet from which the clarinet gets its name).

 

Unique 

 

 

Wow, what a DA. I totally put this in the wrong thread.  

 

Ye without sin........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/22/2021 at 7:02 PM, Finite said:

why is abbreviation such a long word?...

Try locomokipkachelfantje. It is a Dutch word, and yet not a real word.Translated it will mean something like Locomotivechickenheaterlastpartofalittleelephant. Wales would be proud of us. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, AidySL said:

Try locomokipkachelfantje. It is a Dutch word, and yet not a real word.Translated it will mean something like Locomotivechickenheaterlastpartofalittleelephant. Wales would be proud of us. 

I feel like Mary Poppins could make a song about this word. And it reminds me of this.

 

Edited by Finite
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Finite said:

I feel like Mary Poppins could make a song about this word. And it reminds me of this.

 

Haha, yes, that's why I mentioned Wales. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We Dutch love to pull words together.
Grammatically correct hottentottentinnensoldaatjestentoonstellingsterreintje could be written as one word.
But such exhibit (tentoonstelling) does not exist and never has. And it would be extreme hard to read.
I think Wales still wins with this village name:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Poor conductor who has to announce that train station several times a day.

But New Zealand beats them:

Tetaumatawhakatangihangakoauaotamateaurehaeaturipukapihimaunga-horonukupokaiwhenuaakitanarahu

There is an even longer city name in Thailand.
Surprisingly the official name of Bangkok but that is written in several words.

Q: So where did you go to this vacation?

A: Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

Q: Where?????

A: Bangkok


 

Edited by Sid Nagy
Provided by The Buro Of Useles Information.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why do we say the days get shorter in the winter when the shortest day of the year is the first day of winter?

 

Edited by Finite
Link to comment
Share on other sites

   Nordvästersjökustartilleriflygspaningssimulatoranläggningsmaterielunderhållsuppföljningssystemdiskussionsinläggsförberedelsearbete.

Edited by Orwar
Misspelled.
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Orwar said:

   Nordvästersjökustartilleriflygspaningssimulatoranläggningsmaterielunderhållsuppföljningssystemdiskussionsinläggsförberedelsearbete.

Norwegian? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, if you're looking for long place names, there are several bodies of water you can choose from.  My own favorite is in Massachusetts,  Lake Char­gogg­a­gogg­man­chaugg­a­gogg­chau­bun­a­gung­a­maugg.  The name comes from the Algonquian language where it means something like, "Fishing Place at the Boundaries—Neutral Meeting Grounds".  Except to impress tourists, locals call it Lake Char.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Oh, if you're looking for long place names, there are several bodies of water you can choose from.  My own favorite is in Massachusetts,  Lake Char­gogg­a­gogg­man­chaugg­a­gogg­chau­bun­a­gung­a­maugg.  The name comes from the Algonquian language where it means something like, "Fishing Place at the Boundaries—Neutral Meeting Grounds".  Except to impress tourists, locals call it Lake Char.

What's funny about that place is all the simply named islands within it. Cobble Island, Goat Island, Well Island and Little Island.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 91 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...