Happy Juneteenth!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1033 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Eh....?

They just made it a federal holiday in the U.S.

Juneteenth[b] (officially Juneteenth National Independence Day and historically known as Jubilee Day,[2]Black Independence Day,[3] and Emancipation Day[4][5]) is a federal holiday in the United States commemorating emancipation of enslaved African Americans. It is also often observed for celebrating African American culture.[6] Originating in Galveston, Texas, it has been celebrated annually on June 19 in various parts of the United States since 1866. The day was recognized as a federal holiday on June 17, 2021, when President Joe Biden signed the Juneteenth National Independence Day Act into law.[7][8][9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneteenth

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

There are people advocating that we need something similar.
There is a yearly remembrance day about the ending of slavery called Keti Koti om July 1st, but that is nothing official. 
Now some want a national holiday. There are suggestions coming from parliament as well.

I'm all for it, to never forget these dark pages of Dutch history.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

There are people advocating that we need something similar.
There is a yearly remembrance day about the ending of slavery called Keti Koti om July 1st, but that is nothing official. 
Now some want a national holiday. There are suggestions coming from parliament as well.

I'm all for it, to never forget these dark pages of Dutch history.

It is as far i know a official day, just not a holiday. The monument is also titled "National".
I don't think a holiday needs to be attached, we don't do that with may 4th and 5th either.

15 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

It is as far i know a official day, just not a holiday. The monument is also titled "National".
I don't think a holiday needs to be attached, we don't do that with may 4th and 5th either.

Keti Koti (Chains Broken) is something from the Surinamese community in the Netherlands.
I think that outside the 4 big cities, Keti Koti is nothing more than the 30 seconds items in the news.
And yes we have a national monument about the ending of slavery in the NL, but no official national holiday.
And national holiday does not automatically mean a day off from work. Just that the government created an official day to remember. 
I'm all for that.

The times that everybody got days off on national holidays are long gone since people got more days to take off whenever it suits themselves every year.
And in now a days economies there isn't a day in the year at all that practically nobody works. We wanted a 24/7 society, we got it.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

And national holiday does not automatically mean a day free from work.

i think you confuse National days of Observance and National Holiday, the last are the "a day off  :) 
Examples of the first are as the subject Keti Koti, and several WW2 days as Auschwitz, August 15th(end of WW2  by Japan), and National Holocaust Observance day on the last sunday in Januari, Veteransday and may 4th
may 5th hangs a bit in between.. only national holiday for Government employees, and once every 5th year for the other national civil employees IF their branche CAO has a paragraph for it.

I'm not going to split hairs over this.
I'm still all for an official by government installed national day to remember and celebrate the ending of a horrible part of our history.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

This is going to sound terrible but here goes.   I have no problem with Juneteenth and in fact marched in parades when I was in HS Band playing "We shall Overcome".

BUT:  I refuse to have some woke liberal tell me what holidays are acceptable and which are not. 

https://www.dailysignal.com/2021/06/18/new-jersey-school-district-eliminates-holidays-names-to-be-inclusive/

INCLUDING MLK day.  The whole thing is stupid. 

14 minutes ago, Doris Johnsky said:

This is going to sound terrible but here goes.   I have no problem with Juneteenth and in fact marched in parades when I was in HS Band playing "We shall Overcome".

BUT:  I refuse to have some woke liberal tell me what holidays are acceptable and which are not. 

https://www.dailysignal.com/2021/06/18/new-jersey-school-district-eliminates-holidays-names-to-be-inclusive/

You're right.  It does sound terrible.  But as this is a free country, you're free not to celebrate or acknowledge it.  If it should be a paid holiday and you get paid for it, be sure and give back the money.  Including MLK Day pay.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Doris Johnsky said:

but but but.... as far i understood nearly all States had this day already and only two were left. Now they also joined and it's the whole USA, can't imagine this now changes everything.

Yes, I read the article.  What's your point?  It had nothing whatsoever to do with your statements

1 hour ago, Doris Johnsky said:

I refuse to have some woke liberal tell me what holidays are acceptable and which are not.

3 hours ago, Doris Johnsky said:

I refuse to have some woke liberal tell me what holidays are acceptable and which are not. 

defiant.gif

Edited by Luna Bliss

1 hour ago, Janet Voxel said:

This forum never fails to do exactly what you think it’s going to do.

Ahh...but only one person among many many many decent people on the forum...

junteenth kamala.gif

Edited by Luna Bliss

6 hours ago, Doris Johnsky said:

IBTL & my 2cents-

“Woke liberal & MLK day is stupid”.  
You can refuse to participate or honor those days based on your own world view in your own personal space bubble.

That doesn’t mean these days of observation are not worthy of mention.

I refuse to carry the mindset that if something doesn’t benefit me, or I fail to have empathy for the strife, struggles & success of others, then their moment in history is “stupid.”  

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
I backspaced my own rude opinion

10 minutes ago, Finite said:

Makes me chuckle thinking of what the opposite of a woke liberal is....

"Technically, going by the Merriam-Webster dictionary’s definition, woke means “aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)”, but today we are more likely to see it being used as a stick with which to beat people who aspire to such values, often wielded by those who don’t recognise how un-woke they are, or are proud of the fact."

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

IBTL & my 2cents-

“Woke liberal & MLK day is stupid”.  
You can refuse to participate or honor those days based on your own world view in your own personal space bubble.

That doesn’t mean these days of observation are not worthy of mention.

I refuse to carry the mindset that if something doesn’t benefit me, or I fail to have empathy for the strife, struggles & success of others, then their moment in history is “stupid.”  

I never said MLK day was stupid.    I said school board trying to be woke are.  SMH

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Doris Johnsky said:

I never said MLK day was stupid.    I said school board trying to be woke are.  SMH

Nope.  You closed out your specific holidays by mentioning “including mlk” & signing off with “stupid”.  
School board article is completely incidental to being offended by “woke liberals”.  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1033 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.