Initializing VFS

ReddSylk

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1033 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

what version of Firestorm is that? Please grab the latest if it is not. There was a bug in the release from about 12 months ago that would cause such a hang in certain cases based on your inventory IIRC. @Whirly Fizzle any other thoughts?

• Like 1

Hi @ReddSylk,

The best way by far to answer Bigmoe's and Beq's requests for information is to copy/paste everything on the page you get from your viewer's top bar menu -

Help -> About [viewer name]

Paste that into a post here. It will provide a lot of useful information that might point us in the right direction to help.

On 6/19/2021 at 12:08 AM, ReddSylk said:

I’ve been away for a couple of years, returned and I can’t seem to get past initializing VFS. 

I do have a small question. You say that you've returned after a few years of inactivity - did you do this on the same machine that you've originally used Second Life with, or is it a new one you've never installed a Second Life viewer (third party or official one) on before? In case of the "the same computer" answer you may want to clear your viewer cache, because the program may try to do it in the background during the launch (prune old files) and hang / appear to be frozen.

Edited by panterapolnocy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Odaks said:

Hi @ReddSylk,

The best way by far to answer Bigmoe's and Beq's requests for information is to copy/paste everything on the page you get from your viewer's top bar menu -

Help -> About [viewer name]

Paste that into a post here. It will provide a lot of useful information that might point us in the right direction to help.

If they can't get past Initializing VFS, they can't even get to that info as that screen never comes up.

33 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

If they can't get past Initializing VFS, they can't even get to that info as that screen never comes up.

They'll be fine! The Help menu is available at the Log-in screen, and the About [viewer name] is accessable before any attempt is made to log in. The only downside to getting those stats before logging in is that packet loss won't be registered.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Odaks said:

They'll be fine! The Help menu is available at the Log-in screen, and the About [viewer name] is accessable before any attempt is made to log in. The only downside to getting those stats before logging in is that packet loss won't be registered.

Initializing VFS is part of Viewer start up, not Log-In.

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Initializing VFS is part of Viewer start up, not Log-In.

I stand corrected. The odd thing is that that message no longer show on my system, with Firestorm.  I see "detecting hardware", then "initialising texture cache", and the log-in screen screen opens straight after. I got an older laptop out and tried it on that, and lo! "Initialising VFS" did indeed appear.

Thanks for the correction.

Just now, Odaks said:

I stand corrected. The odd thing is that that message no longer show on my system, with Firestorm.  I see "detecting hardware", then "initialising texture cache", and the log-in screen screen opens straight after. I got an older laptop out and tried it on that, and lo! "Initialising VFS" did indeed appear.

Thanks for the correction.

Not a problem - it's something I remember from my time using Windows, years back.

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

That tends to mean the viewer wasn't able to start the main opengl window .. so graphics drivers. The viewer is pretty robust once it gets going.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1033 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.