Why is Black Dragon so fuzzy

Alexis Kiyori

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1024 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

20 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

No idea if this applies to Black Dragon (let alone shadows) but the description sounds like "Depth of Field" which is an advanced graphics preference, wherever it can be found in that viewer. Try turning that off and see if it helps.

Yup, I already have that option unchecked >.<

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lyndka Cochrane said:

It might also be an "SL thing" that detailed shadows aren't rendered? It would be one way of keeping the render queues short by only rendering "real" objects fully but not so for shadows?

I just did a couple pics today with extremely sharp shadows.  Using Firestorm and not BD, though.  I changed the focus and intensity of the light source and I was pretty impressed with the results.

4 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

So I grabbed the lighting thingie from @Orwarthat was mentioned in another thread and was playing around with shadows

51255239761_3dffa0f2f9_b.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I just did a couple pics today with extremely sharp shadows.  Using Firestorm and not BD, though.  I changed the focus and intensity of the light source and I was pretty impressed with the results.

That's pretty great, really.

The OP isn't lookin' so good, though, and I don't know why. (Is it only shadows?}

2 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

That's pretty great, really.

The OP isn't lookin' so good, though, and I don't know why. (Is it only shadows?}

I always had that same issue with shadows until today.

Photo tools No Light WL setting and the light prim.

Edited by Rowan Amore

I may be completely off the target with this thought but is this issue not simply a measure of the shadow quality set in the graphics rendering options?  That's what it looks like to me, at least. Your GPU may also have an impact on how well or badly shadows are rendered.

On 6/18/2021 at 7:02 PM, Alexis Kiyori said:

Hi all.. I'm trying out Black dragon but for some reason the background is super fuzzy and pixelated... any idea how I can fix it? I've gone through all the settings and fiddled with everything.. not entirely sure what I'm doing truth be told.... TIA ❤️ 

image.thumb.png.3a987014f9fc8033cdafe091eb8f8724.png

These look a lot like projector shadows which are controlled by projector shadow resolution found in Preferences - Display - Deferred Rendering

Note that projector shadow resolution also depends on the projector light field of view, higher field of view means a larger area covered which cuts into precision.

image.png.62834e05757b2bac15e7837e497d0a26.png

The other thing you see here is shadow softening, i assume thats what you mean with fuzzy, the shadows are being softened (like all shadows and lighting), due to BD using a different softening kernel the softening is different (better for normal shadows but a lot stronger for projector shadows), softening is controlled by the light softening option also found in the Deferred Rendering group. Note that turning down light softening as implied will turn down ALL softening, this may include SSAO, light, shadows (both sun and projector) and possibly more.

image.png.e3dfc98bca92f91574fd5395bf743557.png

Edited by NiranV Dean
  • Like 2

On 6/22/2021 at 8:36 PM, Alexis Kiyori said:

I think I may have confused people (apologies, my wording is not the greatest..) I'm not fussed about the shadows being pixelated, my problem I'm having is the actual fuzzyness with the purple and green lines in the bakcground, they shouldn't be there image.png.3cc5d792c178eb887ac110907d926e5f.png

Oof that looks like horrible texture artifacting, make sure you do NOT have OpenGL 3.0 Texture Compression enabled in Preferences - Display.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1024 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.