Unpopular Opinion. Redo the mainland from scratch?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 83 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Again, the thread isn't about content, it's about making the empty featureless land more appealing so that huge areas aren't sitting empty. 

But folks have been talking about HOW to do that.  But you're right, that discussion is getting off-topic.

So, getting back to making changes to the empty featureless land, there are spots where that emptiness is actually appealing.  Like in this picture:

Archon_001.thumb.png.62840d4d59279c0c695dad9d691c6f2d.png

That's such a beautiful view.  Sure, it could change at any moment via someone else's Purchase Abandoned Land Request, but isn't that the nature of Second Life?  It's a land of constant change.

Note that across the street from the above place are numerous eyesores.  I didn't bother derendering them, as they don't affect my view.  I've got all my sunrise-viewing spots facing the beautiful mountain in the distance, not the neighbors' eyesores.

• Like 6

Its similar to so many other places on the grid with occupied parcels along the road and nothing else. Nice sunset though. And pond.

Early on, Eric Linden designed Sansara ( the original mainland continent) and the attoll continent with lots of interesting ground textures, plants, terraforming, nooks and crannies, water, roads. His continents are still popular. When he left, LL started rolling out land that looked like big, boring blobs. With featureless land in the centers that no one wants. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Probably not, the land behind you doesnt have what anyone wants.

Unfortunately, it happened to me. I had a beautiful location in a rocky, hilly area of Sansara, and my immediate neighbours all had sizeable parcels but preferred to live up in the sky. I placed some lovely old houses with a church and considered that I had contributed something to the area that would be pleasing for anyone to see that might come across this pretty much isolated location. One parcel adjoining one side of my own went up for sale and the new owner placed a huge skybox on the ground. It loomed over the cottage that was my home and completely ruined my outlook. Why do people do that? They couldn’t see out of the box, had no access in or out of it, was several regions from a road or river, and it would have been just the same if it were placed at some altitude. I abandoned my parcel and the area looked neglected (other than the skybox) once again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

49 minutes ago, Sister Nova said:

Unfortunately, it happened to me. I had a beautiful location in a rocky, hilly area of Sansara, and my immediate neighbours all had sizeable parcels but preferred to live up in the sky. I placed some lovely old houses with a church and considered that I had contributed something to the area that would be pleasing for anyone to see that might come across this pretty much isolated location. One parcel adjoining one side of my own went up for sale and the new owner placed a huge skybox on the ground. It loomed over the cottage that was my home and completely ruined my outlook. Why do people do that? They couldn’t see out of the box, had no access in or out of it, was several regions from a road or river, and it would have been just the same if it were placed at some altitude. I abandoned my parcel and the area looked neglected (other than the skybox) once again.

Skyboxes placed like that, and 64 m high privacy walls kills mainland around them. It is why those 2 things should be banned. They drive people away. Yes, I know it is just to derender walls, but I have to ask all who visit me to derender 1, 2 and 3 walls.

Skyboxes is hopeless to derender because of the things inside.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Its similar to so many other places on the grid with occupied parcels along the road and nothing else. Nice sunset though. And pond.

Early on, Eric Linden designed Sansara ( the original mainland continent) and the attoll continent with lots of interesting ground textures, plants, terraforming, nooks and crannies, water, roads. His continents are still popular. When he left, LL started rolling out land that looked like big, boring blobs. With featureless land in the centers that no one wants. 

I do not like to compare Old Bellisseria with newer Bellisseria, but it is just what I think when I look at the Bellisseria lands on the map. The new land is big, boring blobs.

What saves Bellisseria is that the land looks varied on the ground, and it is rules that prevents the worst crimes like low skyboxes and 64 m walls with bamboo texture.

Edited by Marianne Little
added a few words to clarify
  • Like 4

I live in the old original mainland regions.  Terraforming limit is +/- 40 meters from pre-defined terrain.  One neighbor that had 4096 and a lifetime account felt put-out by some thing or some one and decided to be an ass about it.  He raised the edges of his parcel to make an ugly jagged rectangular precipice, lowered the center, and stuffed it with "megaprim" textured with two of the SL terrain mask UUIDs so that they and everything seen beyond them flickered madly.  It stayed like this for SEVEN YEARS despite numerous ARs from the others in the region.  No idea what prompted the change but now that trash is gone and someone else owns the land.

• Sad 4

35 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

I live in the old original mainland regions.  Terraforming limit is +/- 40 meters from pre-defined terrain.  One neighbor that had 4096 and a lifetime account felt put-out by some thing or some one and decided to be an ass about it.  He raised the edges of his parcel to make an ugly jagged rectangular precipice, lowered the center, and stuffed it with "megaprim" textured with two of the SL terrain mask UUIDs so that they and everything seen beyond them flickered madly.  It stayed like this for SEVEN YEARS despite numerous ARs from the others in the region.  No idea what prompted the change but now that trash is gone and someone else owns the land.

Thats griefing in its purest form.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sister Nova said:

I had a parcel in Isabel with a seaview and lovely neighbours. I had a small red cottage and a big garden with no banlines or orb. After some months my neighbour (big parcel) sold and an HUGE ugly building appeared. I tried to cope for a while but gave up and left SL. It was when Belli started but it was impossible to get the new houses as all was taken so i had no choise then to log off and be off for about 2 years. I think this happens a lot and SL has lost a lot of ppl due to this issue, sadly. Bellisseria can be the rescue if its not too late.

I think they could just remove the empty sims and concentrate old mainland to a fewer sims with a bit harder covenant. No banlines, orbs, huge screens or rubbish in the sky floating around. Okay the map will be different if they remove empty sims but nothing lives forever…  Mainland should be possible to drive around without getting TP home all the time by some orb. The other day in Belli i got TP home when i was in a ballon and only 5 sec warning. I found the orb later and it was located 3997 m up in a skybox. The house on the ground was empty. This person has no clue whatsoever how to manage an orb. Its very tiresome…

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 4

4 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

I live in one of the 'color sims' too - some of my neighbors use the +/-40 feature to make 'natural' privacy shields. Areas with a lot of small parcels look like war zones.  I like being able to do terraforming - I just don't think other people should be allowed to do it....

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Always Incognito said:

I had a parcel in Isabel with a seaview and lovely neighbours. I had a small red cottage and a big garden with no banlines or orb. After some months my neighbour (big parcel) sold and an HUGE ugly building appeared. I tried to cope for a while but gave up and left SL. It was when Belli started but it was impossible to get the new houses as all was taken so i had no choise then to log off and be off for about 2 years. I think this happens a lot and SL has lost a lot of ppl due to this issue, sadly. Bellisseria can be the rescue if its not too late.

I think they could just remove the empty sims and concentrate old mainland to a fewer sims with a bit harder covenant. No banlines, orbs, huge screens or rubbish in the sky floating around. Okay the map will be different if they remove empty sims but nothing lives forever…  Mainland should be possible to drive around without getting TP home all the time by some orb. The other day in Belli i got TP home when i was in a ballon and only 5 sec warning. I found the orb later and it was located 3997 m up in a skybox. The house on the ground was empty. This person has no clue whatsoever how to manage an orb. Its very tiresome…

But I believe the Moles remove such orbs if they get a ticket with the exact location. They have more control over Belisseria because it is rules, so it is nothing to discuss. It is a hard line.

• Like 2

On 6/17/2021 at 5:02 PM, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I'm happy with my little plots, and there are certainly great spots on the mainland but generally its a mess. Sooo much abandoned land without road access or water views that no one wants.

What would you guys think of a complete redo if you were offered some nice space in exchange for what you currently own on the mainland?

Ten bucks says Linden employees would never have time for this but I'm throwing it out there anyway.

I'll pass. I like it the way it is. I try to make my areas nice.

Perhaps there's that unfinished continent with a lot of its interior abandoned, where the Lindens could hack at it even more and leave it even more of a puzzle piece. But all those people who paid a fortune for waterfront would be mad if the whole thing was rolled up.

The Lindens did what you wanted. They made Bellisseria. Oh, you don't care for it so much? Well, there are private islands. 

Re: I would really like to see an end to commercial sub letting on mainland, that will clear out a ton of ugly 'prospecting' junk, and reworking of parcel / linden land balance to covert all parcels over to double prim ones.

I always wonder what bad real life experience, what real life ideology engenders this position, because SL alone cannot account for it, it is so ingrained, and no amount of pointing to good Mainland rentals can overcome this prejudice.

The ugly prospecting junk often comes from people who imagine they are edgy artists. Or various griefing groups. Or GTFO. Or people with atrocious taste on their personal lots. Not from rentals.

The main reason why the land business of renting and selling must exist is that it creates an entry into the economy for those who aren't skilled graphic artists or programmers. And that's important to make the society more diverse and free and not like a Medieval artisans' society with oppressed peasants. It also enables many people to have an affordable SL as the premium plus a land purchase and tier is beyond their budget. So those two reasons are really powerful ones to keep the land business despite the ideological allergy against it from some.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Always Incognito said:

It would be great if the Lindens had even made a rule against orbs, builds over two stories, domes below 500 m in the sky, and flat boards on the parcel borders -- even if they had done it just for Brown, Nautilus, Bay City. But they didn't. And to do it for the entire Mainland would be too much work. So they made Bellisseria and try to drive people there where it's manageable for them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

The Lindens did what you wanted. They made Bellisseria. Oh, you don't care for it so much? Well, there are private islands

I think the linden homes are nice, but I own mainland BECAUSE OF GREATER CREATIVE FREEDOM. hahaa I don't want anyone to get on a creative freedom soapbox again. Come on guys. I don't own a private island because $$$$

So let's review. 

• Creative freedom good
  • Mainland could be better
  • Mainland could have features to attract more people that does not restrict creativity but still appeals to those who want a "house" on it. 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

You won't get consensus on any of this.  For example, banning ban lines.  As a parcel owner, my lands have always been open.  I've never used ban lines.  I've never used orbs.  But as an explorer, I'd much prefer ban lines, which I can turn off showing up in pictures or whatever, to security devices that instantly tp you halfway across the grid to your home three continents away from where you were exploring.  Too many times have I seen something cool, like a carousel, checked the About Land - Access tab to see if it's set to allow access to everyone, only to be told I have one whole second to go to hell or else just because my avi crossed a parcel boundary by *gasp!* a whole millimeter.  Ergo, I will never support a ban on ban lines.  Sure, they're ugly as can be, but viewing them can be toggled off.  Ban security orbs, ban those darn objects that put up visible "PARCEL BOUNDARY" markers, or change the TOS to force folks to have open lands.  But if you're gonna allow folks to close off their parcels (and you damn well should offer such an option for those who want privacy), keep it done by the user interface/About Land - Access tab and get rid off the other garbage.

So.  That's just one person's opinion on just one thing.  And my point is not to start a side discussion about "blah I hate ban lines" versus "blah I hate orbs".  That's been done ad infinitum ad nauseum.  My point is that you're never going to get everyone to agree on everything.  @Polenth Yue is right:  "You're never going to stop people building things you find ugly unless the rules get very restrictive." [emphasis added]  Excessive rules are hardly in the spirit of a community celebrating 18 years of unrestricted creativity.

I just wish it was easier to move around properties, fly and use cars or . For ppl who want privacy to this degree maybee it better with a skybox or living on a standalone sim?

• Like 4

In the past I suggested that LL plant trees and shrubs on any unoccupied land and terraform it to merge with the height of neighbouring parcels, so that if one is lucky enough to buy a more remote parcel then the surroundings can be used for things like horse riding while unoccupied, and the view is always nice. For me this would make it worth buying land and possibly paying tier for a larger more usable plot.

So, on my ever growing wish-list I have...

More trees please and smoothed abandoned/unoccupied land. I know that tree planting and terraforming can be automated, and it can be stopped, for example, 512 sq m from any owned parcel to give the occupier a bit of automatic clearance around their property.

Compulsory purchase, at cost, of any land that is not sold and remains unoccupied for more than a year, or perhaps a year and a half- can't be fairer than that. If it isn't sold by then it shows it is overpriced or rotten land or the owner doesn't bother to manage it. This includes those little parcels with advertisements on which eat into otherwise desirable land and make it unsaleable. That should never have been allowed to happen.

There is so much land around the coasts that is priced in 1000s of $ real money, and that's absolutely ridiculous. It just spoils the coasts for people who love to be by the sea, and there's just no chance of selling land at those silly prices! Those parcels are often filled with horrible signs and objects that make coastal living and/or navigation impossible, and they spoil the coast for everyone. And that brings me to another point...

Sea around every coast should be navigable, and definitely never for sale, so that it remains completely clear for sailing and for the Mer community to swim in. As a Mer I explore far and wide and I often encounter complete blockages that I have no choice but to TP past. Like being able to fly across any land above a certain height one should be able to swim/sail around any land and through any river. There is a large sailing community and quite an appreciable Mer community. I swam and sailed around the coasts when I first arrived in SL, and rode a horse inland for hundreds of miles, but after sea parcels were put up for sale horrible prims littered everywhere. It is completely yuk now! I have enough of real pollution without suffering it in SL too.

High script usage should either be liable for additional costs or, more fairly, restricted to certain sims designated for that purpose. If you've ever had the misfortune to suddenly find oneself living next door to a parcel full of breedable cats or breedable horses you'll know why I suggest this. I know this idea won't make me popular but those breeding parcels are also far from popular when I see my frame rate reduced from 100+ to 10 fps or less, and my own meagre scripts fail to run without stuttering.

I use a friend's Linden house to get away from nearly all of the horrors. If only those Linden Homes had a smattering of "no-mans land" around them to space them out a bit I'd get my own! Surely empty mainland could be used couldn't it? And if the boundary areas had trees planted in them then that would really make every plot feel like a special place to be. Since there's so much free/abandoned land everywhere, surely reusing it to create nice communities with the stricter rules of Linden Homes and tree'd area between homes would encourage users to stay inworld and entice more in. Such communities could be created on some of those extremely large plots that are abandoned and merged instead of selling to speculators. Everyone I know, without exception, loves nicely created homes and gardens and peaceful retreats and gentle music, so I can say with certainty that such places would be popular to at least a fair few, and that would be worth premium membership!

How about a Linden Home with twice the land allocation and a bigger house, that we can pay the tier for (reduced because of the land constraints)? I'd happily pay for an additional 1024, or even 2048, to have a nicer sized plot but still be part of the Linden Home community with its stricter rules on creating junk contamination.

I'd also like to see home build homes on Linden Land that are built from modular constructions that merge perfectly into Linden homes, of which certain walls would be able to be removed so that premade extension modules can be added.

Make the ceilings just a bit higher in the Linden homes so that one's camera doesn't do a merry dance.

It feels good to have a mumble and get it all out of my system. I have no idea if it'll ever be read but one never knows... I don't see any reason to not have a mix of Linden Home type land and free to buy land so long as the borders are sufficiently big to avoid visual contamination. Having Linden Home plots filling each sim would reduce the system requirements too so mainland could be more economical for LL to run. Just a thought. That's it for now...

Instead of shooting me down for daring to think about what would make SL better for me, be creative and come up with your own better solutions for improvements. I know my wants are imperfect and flawed, but they are still what I would love to see happen, and getting even a tenth of my wish-list would make a difference to me :)

Lusa Em!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Always Incognito said:

I just wish it was easier to move around properties, fly and use cars or . For ppl who want privacy to this degree maybee it better with a skybox or living on a standalone sim?

Roadside parcels should be subject to the same rules as Bellisseria; no banlines and approved orbs only. If you need privacy and don't want to rent, you can move into one of the empty inland regions (it'll be cheaper) or up in the sky, or both. I don't even know why you'd be living on a road if you didn't want randoms dropping in.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AnimusKa said:

In the past I suggested that LL plant trees and shrubs on any unoccupied land and terraform it to merge with the height of neighbouring parcels

You make a lot of good suggestions, this one stood out for me. I wish land would revert back to its initial terraform as soon as its sold. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, AnimusKa said:

In the past I suggested that LL plant trees and shrubs on any unoccupied land and terraform it to merge with the height of neighbouring parcels, so that if one is lucky enough to buy a more remote parcel then the surroundings can be used for things like horse riding while unoccupied, and the view is always nice. For me this would make it worth buying land and possibly paying tier for a larger more usable plot.

So, on my ever growing wish-list I have...

More trees please and smoothed abandoned/unoccupied land. I know that tree planting and terraforming can be automated, and it can be stopped, for example, 512 sq m from any owned parcel to give the occupier a bit of automatic clearance around their property.

Compulsory purchase, at cost, of any land that is not sold and remains unoccupied for more than a year, or perhaps a year and a half- can't be fairer than that. If it isn't sold by then it shows it is overpriced or rotten land or the owner doesn't bother to manage it. This includes those little parcels with advertisements on which eat into otherwise desirable land and make it unsaleable. That should never have been allowed to happen.

There is so much land around the coasts that is priced in 1000s of $ real money, and that's absolutely ridiculous. It just spoils the coasts for people who love to be by the sea, and there's just no chance of selling land at those silly prices! Those parcels are often filled with horrible signs and objects that make coastal living and/or navigation impossible, and they spoil the coast for everyone. And that brings me to another point...

Sea around every coast should be navigable, and definitely never for sale, so that it remains completely clear for sailing and for the Mer community to swim in. As a Mer I explore far and wide and I often encounter complete blockages that I have no choice but to TP past. Like being able to fly across any land above a certain height one should be able to swim/sail around any land and through any river. There is a large sailing community and quite an appreciable Mer community. I swam and sailed around the coasts when I first arrived in SL, and rode a horse inland for hundreds of miles, but after sea parcels were put up for sale horrible prims littered everywhere. It is completely yuk now! I have enough of real pollution without suffering it in SL too.

High script usage should either be liable for additional costs or, more fairly, restricted to certain sims designated for that purpose. If you've ever had the misfortune to suddenly find oneself living next door to a parcel full of breedable cats or breedable horses you'll know why I suggest this. I know this idea won't make me popular but those breeding parcels are also far from popular when I see my frame rate reduced from 100+ to 10 fps or less, and my own meagre scripts fail to run without stuttering.

I use a friend's Linden house to get away from nearly all of the horrors. If only those Linden Homes had a smattering of "no-mans land" around them to space them out a bit I'd get my own! Surely empty mainland could be used couldn't it? And if the boundary areas had trees planted in them then that would really make every plot feel like a special place to be. Since there's so much free/abandoned land everywhere, surely reusing it to create nice communities with the stricter rules of Linden Homes and tree'd area between homes would encourage users to stay inworld and entice more in. Such communities could be created on some of those extremely large plots that are abandoned and merged instead of selling to speculators. Everyone I know, without exception, loves nicely created homes and gardens and peaceful retreats and gentle music, so I can say with certainty that such places would be popular to at least a fair few, and that would be worth premium membership!

How about a Linden Home with twice the land allocation and a bigger house, that we can pay the tier for (reduced because of the land constraints)? I'd happily pay for an additional 1024, or even 2048, to have a nicer sized plot but still be part of the Linden Home community with its stricter rules on creating junk contamination.

I'd also like to see home build homes on Linden Land that are built from modular constructions that merge perfectly into Linden homes, of which certain walls would be able to be removed so that premade extension modules can be added.

Make the ceilings just a bit higher in the Linden homes so that one's camera doesn't do a merry dance.

It feels good to have a mumble and get it all out of my system. I have no idea if it'll ever be read but one never knows... I don't see any reason to not have a mix of Linden Home type land and free to buy land so long as the borders are sufficiently big to avoid visual contamination. Having Linden Home plots filling each sim would reduce the system requirements too so mainland could be more economical for LL to run. Just a thought. That's it for now...

Instead of shooting me down for daring to think about what would make SL better for me, be creative and come up with your own better solutions for improvements. I know my wants are imperfect and flawed, but they are still what I would love to see happen, and getting even a tenth of my wish-list would make a difference to me :)

Lusa Em!

I agree on most of what you are suggesting (i dont want the ceiling to be higher though! X)), good ideas. Mainland road, air and water should definitely be more accessible, thats sort of the whole point of it as i see it. Maybee LL is going in this direction already just a bit slow? I think everyone could have what they want if they just ”chop up” the map a  bit and make harder coventants on some places and no covenant on others. They want to make money so they cant have loads of servers running empty land and they will make their customers more happy if they solve this problem.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

You make a lot of good suggestions, this one stood out for me. I wish land would revert back to its initial terraform as soon as its sold. 

I’ve noticed that this has happened whenever I’ve requested to purchase a piece of abandoned land. When the parcel is prepared for sale the landscape is reverted by the Linden setting it up. In the last region I bought some, the original landscape differed quite a bit to the rest of the parcels resulting in a pit. It was no effort to blend it in again once I purchased it, but it was encouraging to realise that the evolution of the region over the years was actually a good one.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Skyboxes placed like that, and 64 m high privacy walls kills mainland around them. It is why those 2 things should be banned. They drive people away. Yes, I know it is just to derender walls, but I have to ask all who visit me to derender 1, 2 and 3 walls.

Skyboxes is hopeless to derender because of the things inside.

You can do it with Firestorm.  I did it on my last mainland parcel because my next door neighbour had an ugly box house in fullbright hot pink. Full of Barbie-themed stuff (she must have really liked pink).

The trick is to uncheck "select only my objects" then select by surrounding the entire offending parcel. Then with everything selected, you can derender the whole lot at once, including everything inside the box.

• Thanks 6

6 hours ago, Maitimo said:

You can do it with Firestorm.  I did it on my last mainland parcel because my next door neighbour had an ugly box house in fullbright hot pink. Full of Barbie-themed stuff (she must have really liked pink).

The trick is to uncheck "select only my objects" then select by surrounding the entire offending parcel. Then with everything selected, you can derender the whole lot at once, including everything inside the box.

I have tried to do just this. Uncheck "Select only my objects", selected all I want gone in the parcel. But how can I get to the "derender" button? As soon as I let the objects "go" they revert to not selected when I push edit - derender.

I do not know other ways to find "derender". Is it a video of this?

• Like 2

Derendering everything item by item can be a lot of fun, if you turn it into a game and make "ppppttttttchoooo!  pppppptttttchoooo!" noises when you blast each object.  Though I do recommend doing this when your roommate is out or asleep.

198788780_pewpew.thumb.jpg.aca6ddc9bfd261ba4a563a6b4a5b9c10.jpg

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Derendering everything item by item can be a lot of fun, if you turn it into a game and make "ppppttttttchoooo!  pppppptttttchoooo!" noises when you blast each object.  Though I do recommend doing this when your roommate is out or asleep.

198788780_pewpew.thumb.jpg.aca6ddc9bfd261ba4a563a6b4a5b9c10.jpg

You are so positive! I honestly love your outlook. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 83 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.