Basic avatar movement - turn speed

Aristotle Smit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1033 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I wonder if anyone can help me with this. It's a question I've had for years.
When you walk forward, your avatar stroll along nicely, but when you touch the left or right arrow, it turns sharply.
I've always wanted a more fluid and slower turn.

For example, if you are walking along a forest path, the landscape moves towards you very realistically, but as you adjust your direction left ad right to follow the path, it swings left and right dizzyingly. Sometime, I even end up feeling quite queasy !!! (Don't laugh!)

There's either a really simple fix or I'm the only one who's ever been bothered by this.
If you have any thoughts or suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate them.

I may have been in SL for 14 years, but I only pop in and still very much a newbie.
I do love it though, hence subscribing for fourteen years despite using it only as a visitor.

Many thanks,

Brian

51 minutes ago, Aristotle Smit said:

I wonder if anyone can help me with this. It's a question I've had for years.
When you walk forward, your avatar stroll along nicely, but when you touch the left or right arrow, it turns sharply.
I've always wanted a more fluid and slower turn.

For example, if you are walking along a forest path, the landscape moves towards you very realistically, but as you adjust your direction left ad right to follow the path, it swings left and right dizzyingly. Sometime, I even end up feeling quite queasy !!! (Don't laugh!)

There's either a really simple fix or I'm the only one who's ever been bothered by this.
If you have any thoughts or suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate them.

I may have been in SL for 14 years, but I only pop in and still very much a newbie.
I do love it though, hence subscribing for fourteen years despite using it only as a visitor.

Many thanks,

Brian

I don't know about the official viewer but Firestorm has this in Move and View

• Avatar Rotation Turn Speed: Alters the rate at which your avatar responds to turning. High values may result in snappy or jerky movement.
  • Thanks 1

Sometime, I even end up feeling quite queasy !!! (Don't laugh!)

A little off topic, but I know how you feel...I go to one event every month, and it has neon lights, see-thru roads with cars moving, and I actually get queasy every time :P

I use the mouse for steering. Precise and smooth. I can easily follow any curve and a spiral stairway is an easy task.

Click on your avatar with mouse1 and hold it. Then move and steer with the mouse.

If you tend to wear stuff that reacts on a click - stop wearing that garbage or edit the clickable zones. No Mod? Don't wear that garbage. 😎

If you are used to that movement (like me for many years) you can't even imagine to use keys like all the other clumsy moving avatars. 😁 If you are not used to it you maybe feel not comfortable. Give it a try and see it thats something for you.

Edited by Nova Convair

Using the keys to steer is jerky.

Mouse steering is way smoother. Others have mentioned it above, they just didn't name it.

@Aristotle Smit I left-click and hold/drag to steer. I use the W-key to move forward. When shopping and walking through a store I use W, A, and D. Looking into a stall I left-click and hold while pressing D or A. They makes me walk perpendicular to the direction I was looking or parallel to the row of stalls/booths. I can press S or W along with the A or D key to turn 45 degrees. With some practice you can use the AWSD keys to steer. Or I can drag the mouse left~right to steer.

You can use the right mouse button in place of the W-key.

In crowded events I'll get to an out of the way place sort of park my avatar then start caming through the event. I'm not lagged by walking.

When I started doing machinima I got a Space-navigator (SN). I can switch to it to cam through an event, which is like flying. Or I can use the SN to steer by twisting it as I push it whatever direction I want to go.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nova Convair said:

I use the mouse for steering. Precise and smooth. I can easily follow any curve and a spiral stairway is an easy task.

8 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Mouse steering is way smoother. Others have mentioned it above, they just didn't name it.

+3 for mouse steering.

People that play other games have known this for years. WASD for moving forward, backward, and strafing left and right. Never turn with the keyboard. Always steer with the mouse.

On 6/18/2021 at 5:02 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

@Aristotle Smit I left-click and hold/drag to steer. I use the W-key to move forward. When shopping and walking through a store I use W, A, and D. Looking into a stall I left-click and hold while pressing D or A. They makes me walk perpendicular to the direction I was looking or parallel to the row of stalls/booths. I can press S or W along with the A or D key to turn 45 degrees. With some practice you can use the AWSD keys to steer. Or I can drag the mouse left~right to steer.

You can use the right mouse button in place of the W-key.

In crowded events I'll get to an out of the way place sort of park my avatar then start caming through the event. I'm not lagged by walking.

When I started doing machinima I got a Space-navigator (SN). I can switch to it to cam through an event, which is like flying. Or I can use the SN to steer by twisting it as I push it whatever direction I want to go.

Nalates pretty much nailed it.

Mouse steering is very much going to be the best option, but if you would rather the keyboard keys instead, then I highly recommend you use the Firestorm viewer, and even if you end up mouse steering, I'd still use it... So many more quality of life additions in it. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1033 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.