Why do I always hear water bubbling or fire crackling?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1014 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It could be this is same for eveyone - or evrywhere I go has these sound FX turned on?  But I always (ALWAYS) have these ambient sounds seemingly going on in background - I can't tell if it's fire crackling or water trickling, but I can hear it even though I can neither see or think I am any where near water or fire?  And it doesnt go away if I move (wheras other sounds/sound fx fade as I move around SL)   Anyone know if its a setting I have on in error?  I could do without hearing water/fire crackling all the time.  Thanks

• Sad 1

Try one of those absolutely empty regions, and also disabling sounds momentarily, to see if for some reason it’s actually coming from something you’re wearing. Also, some viewers have a Sound Explorer function that shows all kinds of sounds, with type, object owner, etc. Even if yours doesn’t, there’s always the Beacons function (Ctrl + Alt + Shift + N), which is standard.

I use all these constantly, as I’m not at all fond of the sometimes excessive sound decoration of some places, and often end up muting most if not all of it.

Funny story, 

I had a parcel where I kept hearing Robin Thicke’s “blurred lines”. It was only in one area of the parcel, so I’m thinking my neighbor had something on her parcel and I’d just deal with it. 

One day, I had some friends over and one of them goes, “Wow, you must really love Robin Thicke.” So I’m telling him, it’s my neighbor. He’s like, no it’s coming from the car in your driveway. I cam into the car in the driveway and sure enough. There was a tiny media player with a YouTube video on loop. 

So, I deleted the car, the music stopped and my framerate went up slightly.

The moral of the story? You’d be surprised what is making sounds sometimes.

Edited by Janet Voxel
  • Like 4
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Janet Voxel said:

He’s like, no it’s coming from the car in your driveway. I cam into the car in the driveway and sure enough. There was a tiny media player with a YouTube video on loop. 

I had read your post as being your RL car in your RL-driveway and experienced a brief spell of cognitive dissonance.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

I had read your post as being your RL car in your RL-driveway and experienced a brief spell of cognitive dissonance.

I’m pretty sure we’ve all had a moment where we wanted to delete our car from the driveway because it was making too much noise.

So there’s that!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, JordonBanks said:

Anyone know if its a setting I have on in error?  I could do without hearing water/fire crackling all the time.  Thanks

You probably have your sound card set for "Loudness Equalization" , or whatever this feature is called in your sound chip.  My motherboard sound chip is a Realtek HD Audio ALC892, an older version.  Turning on Loudness, or what is really fast attack/release Compression, brings all the faint background noises up by around 25 dB.  Then you will hear fireplaces crackling, streams trickling, clocks ticking, birds chirping, wind blowing, surf noise, etc. nearly as loud as full volume streaming music.  In clubs it also amplifies Gesture and avatar sounds so they can cover up the streaming music, and is very annoying.  When someone complains about avatar or gesture sounds in clubs, it's because they are trying to equalize sounds with a digital compression circuit.

It seems that many have this Loudness box checked as a default setting.  Turn off this extra nasty audio processing.  It also removes the dynamic range for music.

It makes no difference what the source is, since this is a setting in your sound chip, not your SL viewer.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Janet Voxel said:

Funny story, 

I had a parcel where I kept hearing Robin Thicke’s “blurred lines”. It was only in one area of the parcel, so I’m thinking my neighbor had something on her parcel and I’d just deal with it. 

One day, I had some friends over and one of them goes, “Wow, you must really love Robin Thicke.” So I’m telling him, it’s my neighbor. He’s like, no it’s coming from the car in your driveway. I cam into the car in the driveway and sure enough. There was a tiny media player with a YouTube video on loop. 

I'd destroy my RL car if it meant getting rid of that POS "song" and its gurning, flappy-tongued, flea-brained performer as well. Never has anyone had such an apt surname since Ed Balls.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JordonBanks said:

And it doesnt go away if I move (wheras other sounds/sound fx fade as I move around SL)

You didn't say if it goes away when you Mute the Master sound slider in your SL Viewer.  Or if you hear this when your Viewer is off.   If you have a defective or too old motherboard, you can get cracks and pops and sizzling noises because the same bus that runs your video data also handles your audio data.  That would be a rather old system where your video card was using up all of your bus bandwidth, and your Interupt lines could not keep up. I've had that happen with old 33Mhz VESA buses with a fast sound card and the 3D video card all using the same bus.  It was also because I was using a single core CPU and 32 bit WinXP.  The Video card was sucking up all the bus bandwidth. The bus noises would only occur when the 3D features of the card were running, as in SL.

This can't happen in a modern gaming system where bus speeds are faster and the CPU is multi-core.  It also did not happen if I used the cheap onboard sound chip, which was slower, lower bandwidth, and noisy - not usable for any serious music work.  I doubt your computer is from 2005 though. 

Edited by Jaylinbridges

All jokes aside it’s probably just ambient sounds coming from some objects. I noticed when I started turning the sounds off, that a lot of objects give off ambient noise particularly torches, fireplaces, water, etc and they’re LOUD(basically the things you’re always hearing because they’re everywhere) We tend not to notice them when there’s a stream playing top 40 hits, someone’s playing all of the annoying gestures and someone’s dog is barking on mic. Eventually, I started turning ambient sounds off too.

One thing people don’t give secondlife credit for is that the sound quality is amazing. Try turning ambient sounds off. I usually turn the music on when I’m in a club or voice on when I want to talk. But I don’t keep them on all at once. Whichever one allows you to hear gestures stays off.

2 hours ago, Janet Voxel said:

Whichever one allows you to hear gestures stays off.

Gestures from an avatar you cannot just turn off.    But you can mute Sounds in the viewer by sliding the slider to zero, from objects on the parcel. That will kill all the water and fire etc sounds.  I edited my post here, because I have to check if moving the Sounds slider to zero does mute sounds from an avatar.  It would mute sounds from all avatars in range then.

For some reason unchecking the box for sounds does not mute the sound,  only the slider works.

In Music, unchecking the box does mute streaming music.  I expect this inconsistent behavior is called a feature by LL.

Edit: see later posts.  The checkbox in Sounds shuts off gestures, but does not mute object sounds.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

1 hour ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Gestures from an avatar you cannot just turn off.    But you can mute Sounds in the viewer by sliding the slider to zero, from objects on the parcel. That will kill all the water and fire etc sounds.  I edited my post here, because I have to check if moving the Sounds slider to zero does mute sounds from an avatar.  It would mute sounds from all avatars in range then.

For some reason unchecking the box for sounds does not mute the sound,  only the slider works.

In Music, unchecking the box does mute streaming music.  I expect this inconsistent behavior is called a feature by LL.

I have the boxes unchecked and never hear sounds from gestures.   In Firestorm.  Check them to hear.  Not sure what is default on those.

• Play sounds from gestures: (to the right of the Sound Effects slider) Enable this to hear sounds from gestures.  
Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Janet Voxel said:

Funny story, 

Could have been worse - it could have been Barbie Girl, Who Let The Dogs Out or The Bird Dance Tune on loop !!

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1014 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.