Stolen Linden from my account

YleniaBrowns

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 985 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

14 answers to this question

13 minutes ago, YleniaBrowns said:

Can someone tell me if I can have my linden back? I have the profile who stolen my linden can he/she be caught and return back my lindens?

Nobody can steal your L$ unless they got access to your account or you gave them permission via an object.

If someone hacked your account, follow these instructions:
  https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000135214-what-to-do-if-your-account-has-been-compromised

If you gave an object permission, you are very likely out of luck on getting any L$ back.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Nobody can steal your L$ unless they got access to your account or you gave them permission via an object.

If someone hacked your account, follow these instructions:
  https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000135214-what-to-do-if-your-account-has-been-compromised

If you gave an object permission, you are very likely out of luck on getting any L$ back.

Thank you for your help I reported I will wait and see. Thanks again 

19 hours ago, BookishMelinoe said:

Was it just not showing up for a while? Sometimes it seems like the viewer "forgets" my L$ and I have to click on my balance to refresh it.

I refresh it and all my Lindens were vanished but everything goes well, I had all my lindens back 😊

• Like 1

My password was hacked, changed...and with in 5 minutes, the hacker made 5 purchases from a Gotcha Store, all the same Seller, for 42K.  It took me 48 hrs to convince Linen Labs to reset my password, when I logged back on, all my linden was gone, and Linden Labs refused to restore it. Since it is unlikely a thief would Transfer Linden direct to their account, un authorized purchases by a hacker, where the Seller can transfer the linden to the hacker (or the Seller is the hacker) seams like the most reasonable scam. 

Why do these Gotcha accounts and are bulk invoices allowed? 

Can someone give me a reason why these types of "buyer beware" accounts are tolerated?

My advise, always report everything as "My account was compromised"....do not start with things like "I forgot my password"...

You may want to have a Banker alter, transfer only the Linden you need for shopping that day, keep you balance low - 0.

Finally, since I do not spend Linden most visits to SL,I am curious about how others would feel about a special Pin code for Shopping Day purchases inside SL, when purchasing or transferring money, just like at the grocery store.???? 

Also, would you mind having transaction item limits, daily limits, and total purchase tiers that delay the delivery and require additional authentication for bulk item purchases over 2,000 or 5,000, 10,000 Linden via correct Several Security questions, etc.

And lastly, of course, Multi form Authentication is needed too.

We need to make sure the Hackers do not ruin the SL experience. Make it hard to do their there dirty business.

Edited by sissybillieboi
Spelling, grammer and aditonal thoughts, clarification

28 minutes ago, sissybillieboi said:

My password was hacked, changed...and with in 5 minutes, the hacker made 5 purchases from a Gotcha Store, all the same Seller, for 42K.  It took me 48 hrs to convince Linen Labs to reset my password, when I logged back on, all my linden was gone, and Linden Labs refused to restore it. Since it is unlikely a thief would Transfer Linden direct to their account, un authorized purchases by a hacker, where the Seller can transfer the linden to the hacker (or the Seller is the hacker) seams like the most reasonable scam. 

Why do these Gotcha accounts and are bulk invoices allowed? 

Can someone give me a reason why these types of "buyer beware" accounts are tolerated?

My advise, always report everything as "My account was compromised"....do not start with things like "I forgot my password"...

You may want to have a Banker alter, transfer only the Linden you need for shopping that day, keep you balance low - 0.

Finally, since I do not spend Linden most visits to SL,I am curious about how others would feel about a special Pin code for Shopping Day purchases inside SL, when purchasing or transferring money, just like at the grocery store.???? 

Also, would you mind having transaction item limits, daily limits, and total purchase tiers that delay the delivery and require additional authentication for bulk item purchases over 2,000 or 5,000, 10,000 Linden via correct Several Security questions, etc.

And lastly, of course, Multi form Authentication is needed too.

We need to make sure the Hackers do not ruin the SL experience. Make it hard to do their there dirty business.

There is no hacking of SL accounts, you were socially engineered (phished) into giving the information out.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, sissybillieboi said:

My password was hacked

is a bummer when this happens for sure

the no so good news is Section 9.1 of the Terms of Service. https://www.lindenlab.com/tos#tos6

9.1 Linden Lab is NOT liable for its users' actions, and you release Linden Lab from any claims relating to other users.

basically we agree that we are responsible for protecting our password, and if some other user hacks us then we agree Linden is not liable to make it right for us

a bit better news is that Linden are working on bringing 2FA to Second Life. (How/when exactly I dunno, just that it is being looked into)

a report on this from last April, is on Inara Pey's blog here: https://modemworld.me/2021/04/16/linden-lab-l-buy-fee-change-2fa-tpv-and-map-tile-updates/

1 hour ago, sissybillieboi said:

wrong...I did not give my password to anyone...

You don't have to "give" it to someone, at least not knowingly.   

You may have clicked on a link that looked like an official SL site and then if you entered your SL credentials, they hacker gets them. 
You might have clicked on a link and ended up with a keylogger installed on your computer, thus giving a hacker much more info than just SL login stuff.
Or you might just be using a fairly simple password that any common password cracker could figure out.

Or answered those fun questions on Facebook like whats your favorite color, favorite car, favorite actor, etc... all questions that are usually used in password resets.

What SL needs really bad is 2FA. I don't even think you get blocked out if you type your password wrong 5 times. People can just use a brute force.

So if your password doesn't look something like this "3#j9A8F!pM^fs$QuU" its time to update. Use a password manager so you don't have to remember the crazy passwords like BitWarden.

and of course don't click one of the million fishing links that get posted in all these groups, use mouse over often and if you really wanna click links set up a Virtual Machine with VirtualBox, then you can open anything you want and it wont matter, copy paste to browser inside the virtual machine and it wont matter if its a virus, just don't enter user/pass details. Every fishing link I have opened in a virtual machine usually leads to a secondlife log in page thats set up to look like the real thing. I enter in some fake user name and password and it leads no where, they just collecting what you entered.

This is why it aggravates me so many group moderators and owners use tiny url or link shorteners, who knows whats really behind that link until you click it.

Gotta be careful in this day in age, lot of ######## :|

Edited by Malin Sabra
Typos Need Coffee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 985 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.