Open message to LL: Time to remove Teir levels!

Zoren Manray

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well couldn't find a specific discussion related to this, and again it's affecting my decisions in SL land ownership. So might as well talk about it directly:

Now that SL is in the cloud, tier levels are the silliest thing to keep. The lower steps aren't too bad. However, when you get to over 1/4 of a region price it get's expensive fast. Such is the conundrum I am facing now, and many others have faced before.. There's 2048m of land in my region for a good price, but to get it I'll have to increase my tier to US$112 which gives me half a region tier, that I will never be able to obtain enough land to fill. WHY???? The only other option that might stupidly be cheaper is I could pay for another premium account get tier on that pay for both separately and actually end up paying less per month. But WHY should I jump through that hoop?!

Let's get Serious LL, with all the abandoned mainland out there it is clear; land tier is not your main income. It's clearly the marketplace, premium accounts, and Linden Exchange. If you just removed the arbitrary limits hampering land usage: Land tier and extra surcharge to cash out L$ to pay said tier to YOU. You would get more land usage. That means more content > more sales of content to fill land on marketplace > more buying L$ to spend on renting > MORE MONEY for LL!! This among a few other things you cling to from the past is actually COSTING the platform money! So come on do the sensible thing! Just make Tier prorated with discounted levels!!! Or maybe you are, and that might be a big announcement at this years SL Birthday?  One can only hope...

So, who else has similar stories / is of the same opinion on this?? Pretty sure there are quite a few of you out there..

Edited by Zoren Manray
Improved formatting
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Zoren Manray said:

Well couldn't find a specific discussion related to this, and again it's affecting my decisions in SL land ownership. So might as well talk about it directly:

Now that SL is in the cloud, tier levels are the silliest thing to keep. The lower steps aren't too bad. However, when you get to over 1/4 of a region price it get's expensive fast. Such is the conundrum I am facing now, and many others have faced before.. There's 2048m of land in my region for a good price, but to get it I'll have to increase my tier to US$112 which gives me half a region tier, that I will never be able to obtain enough land to fill. WHY???? The only other option that might stupidly be cheaper is I could pay for another premium account get tier on that pay for both separately and actually end up paying less per month. But WHY should I jump through that hoop?!

Let's get Serious LL, with all the abandoned mainland out there it is clear; land tier is not your main income. It's clearly the marketplace, premium accounts, and Linden Exchange. If you just removed the arbitrary limits hampering land usage: Land tier and extra surcharge to cash out L$ to pay said tier to YOU. You would get more land usage. That means more content > more sales of content to fill land on marketplace > more buying L$ to spend on renting > MORE MONEY for LL!! This among a few other things you cling to from the past is actually COSTING the platform money! So come on do the sensible thing! Just make Tier prorated with discounted levels!!! Or maybe you are, and that might be a big announcement at this years SL Birthday?  One can only hope...

So, who else has similar stories / is of the same opinion on this?? Pretty sure there are quite a few of you out there..

I would like to have a graduated tier system but keeping the 'more you own the less you pay per sq meter - the fact that sometimes adding a 512 to your parcel means your tier is increased disproportionately can keep you from buying more land. Also, I believe that the way tier is now calculated may be responsible for all the little odd parcels created when someone figures out "OK, if I dump a 512, my tier will go down to the next level."

I also wish it was easier to figure out the 'alt donates tier to the group' discount thing, but that's just me.

Edited by Rufferta
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Rufferta said:

I would like to have a graduated tier system but keeping the 'more you own the less you pay per sq meter - the fact that sometimes adding a 512 to your parcel means your tier is increased disproportionately can keep you from buying more land. Also, I believe that the way tier is now calculated may be responsible for all the little odd parcels created when someone figures out "OK, if I dump a 512, my tier will go down to the next level."

I also wish it was easier to figure out the 'alt donates tier to the group' discount thing, but that's just me.

yeah agreed. a [Graduated Tier system / more you own the less you pay per sq. meter] was what I was what I was also trying to say with [Tier prorated with discounted levels] it would be a much fairer way to charge. 

And yep the current Tier system is indeed what leads to all the weird sized abandoned land parcels.. I've done it myself, as I've had to abandon land to avoid having to jump in tier level pricing. sucked to abandon the value of the land, but just made sense at the time rather then paying much more per month. And the alt donating tier to the group option is more of a logical workaround, rather then a solution that should be promoted as yeah it's silly to have to do that..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rufferta said:

for group i tend to use the multiplier 0.909091

1024 * 0.0909091 = 930.9091 group tier for a 1024m

check: (930.9091 * 1.1) = (930.9091 + 10%) = 1024

5 hours ago, Zoren Manray said:

Now that SL is in the cloud, tier levels are the silliest thing to keep

According to several Linden posts, the cloud did not bring lower costs .. so that reason for cheaper land isn't valid anymore ( in spite of what was said before we were uplifted.. in that time is sounded as a cost reduction to go to the cloud)

• Like 4

If tier was changed to a simple "x amount per 512m" then it would have another effect.

As well as making it easier to purchase an additional small amount of land, it would also make it far less profitable for land barons to gobble up large areas of mainland and rent them out.  The current system allows a land baron to own a lot of land (a whole region or more) and rent smaller parcels at an amount which would be cheaper than the cost to own just that one parcel. This enables people to access land by renting at a lower price than they could by buying. It also allows land owners to set aside some of their owned land for landscaping and community-shared parcels to improve the area. Campbell Coast is a good example.

Changing the tier system would mean;

• Impossible to rent for less than the cost of buying, so no more cheap rents on mainland
  • Land owners would need to rent every single square metre at all times - no empty plots and no land set aside for landscaping, so no more themed regions or nice regions. Rentals would revert to mainland anarchy. They would still continue to offload un-rented 512m parcels no matter what their current tier level is (whereas now they can hang on to them, most of the time, without costing more)

I think this change would basically end mainland rentals altogether.

The other question is, how do you price your 512m?  The same as it is now?

A region contains 128 parcels of 512m. That's currently $4 per month. Your tier would look like this:

sq m part of region current cost new cost
512 1/128 $4 $4
1024 1/64 $7 $8
2048 1/32 $13 $16
4096 1/16 $22 $32
8192 1/8 $35 $64
16384 1/4 $67 $128
32768 1/2 $112 $256
49152 3/4 $150 $384
65536 Full region $175 $512

Yeah... no. That would kill the mainland economy stone dead. You think there's too much abandoned land now, wait till you see the results of THAT.

So... what if you priced a full region the same and then divided that amount per parcel...

512 1/128 $4 $1.37
1024 1/64 $7 $2.74
2048 1/32 $13 $5.47
4096 1/16 $22 $10.94
8192 1/8 $35 $21.88
16384 1/4 $67 $43.75
32768 1/2 $112 $87.50
49152 3/4 $150 $137.25
65536 Full region $175 $175

That looks like a fast way to Linden Lab's bankruptcy to me. Even if the base 1024m of "free" tier was no longer a thing, this favours the customer too much. Personally I would love it but from a business perspective it would not work in this format.  Maybe... if the minimum amount of ownership was 2048m, or a minimum spend of $5.47 per month even if you own less than 2048m... But I still think this would hurt Linden Labs too much, unless they can gain more income from elsewhere (like higher fees for buying & selling L$).

No matter how you price a single 512m parcel, you're going to either make it too cheap to own a small amount, or too expensive to own more. The only fair way to price land is to keep the system the way it is now.

• Like 5

So I analysed the cost per 16 sq.m at each tier level and immediately noticed a couple of anomalies:

tier $ per 16 sqm
512 0.125
1024 0.09375
2048 0.09375
4096 0.0703125
8192 0.05078125
16384 0.0625
32768 0.043945313
65536 0.030761719

First, the cost at the 1024 and 2048 tiers is actually the same. Second, that the cost at a quarter region is actually more expensive, per sq m, than the cost at an eighth-region. And I couldn't work out the 3/4 tier at all so I left it out 😕.

So in theory you could have 4096m for which you're paying $22 per month, then add a 512m parcel which would be a further $4 per month on top of that, so you'd then be paying $26 per month. Want to buy something that's a weird shape on roadside? A parcel of 2160m would cost you $13.88 per month ($13 for the 2048, the remaining 112 charged at $0.125 per 16m)

It could even still work if you made the smallest unit of tier be 512m.  In that case the 2160m parcel would then cost $17 per month (a 2048 tier plus a 512 tier). That's more than the unit cost per sq.m (so it benefits LL) and less than the $22 it would cost in the current system.

Edited by Maitimo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

This comes up regularly. There's a business of renting tier at rates cheaper than adding another Premium or tiering-up by a half-region. Or at least I think there's still such a business; there was never all that much demand. Not enough demand, then, to justify LL spending much development to change how it all works now.

It's always a popular thing to complain about, but apparently those who complain don't actually much care, else they'd rent tier.

3 hours ago, Maitimo said:

So I analysed the cost per 16 sq.m at each tier level

i always find it pretty interesting when tier level discussions come up, and how might it be done if more levels were available.  A way it could be done is to add in another 6 levels. Something like:

512   4$
 1024   7$
 2048  13$
 3072  18$ * new level
 4096  22$
 6144  29$ * new level
 8192  35$
12288  47$ * new level
16384  67$
24576  91$ * new level
32768 112$
40960 132$ * new level
49152 150$
57344 164$ * new level
65536 175$

• Like 5

To be clear: I was not talking about making it overall cheaper for land. just making the billing for it more proportional and fair. And the current system works barely for lower tier levels, It really only get's annoying when you start pushing over the 1/8 of a region tier. The current system is not affordable for existing community projects that just want to expand where they are as land becomes available.  The higher tier levels are only affordable if you can acquire ALL the land to fill it. Unless you completely uproot and move to a region that has that spare land you almost NEVER can fill it as the rest of the land in a region is either owned by others or part of linden roads. So with the tier not all utilized, the cost per meter to rent to others get's more expensive, not less. And NO to compensate I don't want to be forced to acquire random cheep plots of land across the grid and rent them out for what I can get. there are plenty of people already doing that.

Also, I'm not saying all this without some experience in the matter. I am part of a community project myself: Check out the Bedstraw Regional Railway, Route 45 Expressway, Hiraya Town and surrounding metro area if traveling through East Heterocera. It keeps slowly expanding in fact, despite the hurdles of Tier costs..

Edited by Zoren Manray
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Maitimo said:

If tier was changed to a simple "x amount per 512m" then it would have another effect.

As well as making it easier to purchase an additional small amount of land, it would also make it far less profitable for land barons to gobble up large areas of mainland and rent them out.  The current system allows a land baron to own a lot of land (a whole region or more) and rent smaller parcels at an amount which would be cheaper than the cost to own just that one parcel. This enables people to access land by renting at a lower price than they could by buying. It also allows land owners to set aside some of their owned land for landscaping and community-shared parcels to improve the area. Campbell Coast is a good example.

Changing the tier system would mean;

• Impossible to rent for less than the cost of buying, so no more cheap rents on mainland
  • Land owners would need to rent every single square metre at all times - no empty plots and no land set aside for landscaping, so no more themed regions or nice regions. Rentals would revert to mainland anarchy. They would still continue to offload un-rented 512m parcels no matter what their current tier level is (whereas now they can hang on to them, most of the time, without costing more)

I think this change would basically end mainland rentals altogether.

The other question is, how do you price your 512m?  The same as it is now?

A region contains 128 parcels of 512m. That's currently $4 per month. Your tier would look like this:

512 1/128 $4 $4
1024 1/64 $7 $8
2048 1/32 $13 $16
4096 1/16 $22 $32
8192 1/8 $35 $64
16384 1/4 $67 $128
32768 1/2 $112 $256
49152 3/4 $150 $384
65536 Full region $175 $512

Yeah... no. That would kill the mainland economy stone dead. You think there's too much abandoned land now, wait till you see the results of THAT.

So... what if you priced a full region the same and then divided that amount per parcel...

512 1/128 $4 $1.37
1024 1/64 $7 $2.74
2048 1/32 $13 $5.47
4096 1/16 $22 $10.94
8192 1/8 $35 $21.88
16384 1/4 $67 $43.75
32768 1/2 $112 $87.50
49152 3/4 $150 $137.25
65536 Full region $175 $175

That looks like a fast way to Linden Lab's bankruptcy to me. Even if the base 1024m of "free" tier was no longer a thing, this favours the customer too much. Personally I would love it but from a business perspective it would not work in this format.  Maybe... if the minimum amount of ownership was 2048m, or a minimum spend of $5.47 per month even if you own less than 2048m... But I still think this would hurt Linden Labs too much, unless they can gain more income from elsewhere (like higher fees for buying & selling L$).

No matter how you price a single 512m parcel, you're going to either make it too cheap to own a small amount, or too expensive to own more. The only fair way to price land is to keep the system the way it is now.

I have no problem with "the more you own, the less you pay per unit." Landlords need to make a living, and communities that build in landscaping and other amenities are good things. 

I am concerned that Bellisseria is sucking residents away from the Mainland, where it is sometimes very difficult to find an affordable 1024 next to a road, in a nice community, etc....I would like to see what would happen if the Lindens took one of those big abandoned pieces of land and split it into 1024 plots with "Protected Land" roads and easements. If I win the lottery, I might try doing something like that myself, just for an experiment - only I'd have to pay tier for the roads and easements....

(Just dreaming).

• Like 4

Us short-legged creatures would LOVE smaller steps.  Normalizing the volume discount curve would be nice too.  Where I am currently at on the tiers, I would have to go from paying for one whole region to paying for two whole regions to claim that sliver of abandoned land next to one of my existing parcels, since my current holdings add up to one whole region plus the 10% group bonus.

1 hour ago, Ardy Lay said:

Where I am currently at on the tiers, I would have to go from paying for one whole region to paying for two whole regions to claim that sliver of abandoned land next to one of my existing parcels, since my current holdings add up to one whole region plus the 10% group bonus.

If I read the Knowledge Base article correctly, I think the next step after one full region is a quarter region at US$44 per month—about the same rate per m² as US$175 per full region.

(Until I looked it up, I thought the next step would be a half region at the regular half-region tier. I think maybe they changed it when they adjusted rates a while back, which would be a step in the right direction.)

16 hours ago, Zoren Manray said:

People have asked for graduated tier since the dawn of time.

Since so many other services in life actually become less expensive the more you buy of them, i.e. with a bulk discount, it's especially annoying.

That is, to be sure, once you get over a full sim, there is a small discount, but you are still stuck with the graduated tier problem.

Example: like me, you leave a buffer of tier in case any donors pull out, and then all of a sudden, land goes to sale for a low price in a sim where you own at least half or more of the land, it's a parcel where 5 tenants look straight on to it, so you now have the prospect of an ugly store or transportation hub or God-knows-what coming in. It is an off-amount -- 2572. So you can't tier up to 2048 on one account, you have to tier up to 4096. That leaves you with extra tier you aren't using, so what do you do? You're stuck. You have to pay for it because any tier-up, no matter how small, even if reversed, will add to your bill that month. So you scamper around trying to see what else could be sold or abandoned to bring yourself out of this expense. Annoying as heck. Lather, rinse, repeat, we have all paid this penalty many, many times on the Mainland.

Why? Because land remains the chief product LL is selling, responsible for their profit-making company, and this is how they can sell more of it. The end.

It's not true at all that abandoned land means they aren't selling as much. There are 5000 or so Mainland sims; 6000+ if you count Belli. Of this, something like 30% is abandoned; so of it is Linden roads, parks etc. But mainly, even with all the blight and abandonment, LL mainly makes a profit off Mainland.

But that's only 5000 sims. There are 20000+ more -- in the form of islands. So that's the heart of their profit center -- islands with set-up fees and tier higher than mainland, and ultimately with less customer service in many respects. The island owner can reset his region at will or fix encroachment problems; a mainland owner even of a whole sim has to request the Lindens for a re-set and some encroachments.

It would be great if you could click a button and buy an add-on packet of exactly the amount of tier you need. Then there'd be much less abandonment. I was wondering why a parcel didn't sell when the one next to it did -- I fly out and see the neighbour who bought that land abandoned 64 m out of it. So there that abandoned bit sits, vulnerable to ad-farming. 

This is not going to change. There's only one solution. Just keep selling off your land. Only tier what you can afford. Stop buying the view and if you lose customers, abandon that land, too. Oh, that's what's happening already.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

If I read the Knowledge Base article correctly, I think the next step after one full region is a quarter region at US$44 per month—about the same rate per m² as US$175 per full region.

(Until I looked it up, I thought the next step would be a half region at the regular half-region tier. I think maybe they changed it when they adjusted rates a while back, which would be a step in the right direction.)

Yes, they did change it, it's something anyway. Not much. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rufferta said:

I have no problem with "the more you own, the less you pay per unit." Landlords need to make a living, and communities that build in landscaping and other amenities are good things. 

I am concerned that Bellisseria is sucking residents away from the Mainland, where it is sometimes very difficult to find an affordable 1024 next to a road, in a nice community, etc....I would like to see what would happen if the Lindens took one of those big abandoned pieces of land and split it into 1024 plots with "Protected Land" roads and easements. If I win the lottery, I might try doing something like that myself, just for an experiment - only I'd have to pay tier for the roads and easements....

(Just dreaming).

To me, the jury's still out on whether Bellisseria cuts into mainland sales and rentals. I believe it does if you have a themed community that also didn't have choice of houses. If you have more choices, then not, but perhaps it will soon enough, I can't say.

I find that my customers often have both my rental AND Bellisseria. Or they leave and go to Belli for a turn, then come back when they run out of prims or are bored. But this is the cycle on a lot of things. People move in with partners, or they can't pay any rent due to unemployment, they bail, they come back later sometimes or not at all, to be replaced by other people.

My own sense is that this summer will be crippling: the usual summer slump, the Lindens with a very big well-advertised shiny at Bellisseria ("Hidden Worlds," which means fairies or something); COVID vaccines meaning people go outside and ditch SL OR they are still inside without vaccines but also without jobs and their unemployment is running out.  That's my hunch. I hope I am wrong. In theory, if Bellisseria creates more NEW premiums of NEW people (not old alts), that's a stabilizing and generating force for the entire world, for content sellers, and even land dealers as people won't stay in Belli forever or will seek both.

What you're describing with the 1024 plots and easements is something I have done, and I would not recommend it unless you have the stamina of St. Simeon Stylites. It takes a lot of time to set up, get rented, keep rented, etc. etc. Still, if you start with an entire sim and a plan like Campbell and have money for content, you could. Or especially if you don't insist on waterfront, you could do it easily enough. You could get a flat sim in the middle of nowhere probably for $65,000 abandoned or on the auction even less, they open at 0.5/m and nobody wants one, that's how I got a pink mountain in the middle of nowhere for $32,000. Every one of these pink mountain sims should be an art sim with starving artists and collectives but from what I see only one of them is. Because that's still US $175 per month tier.

If you want the fun of building a sim and experimenting and such, go to Open Sim where it will cost a lot less. In SL, you will have more people and customers but more competition. And there are all these problems -- the view gets destroyed on the other 4 sims around you that may have started out abandoned. It only takes one bad build to destroy the view for miles. People put up ban lines etc. All these unforeseen things happen...it's endless. 

You could compete with Belli by grouping land and offering more prims on a 1024, the option for people to choose their own house, and more varied landscaping. Still, the Moles will be many jumps ahead of you. Your tier date is looming for $175 in 30 days and you cannot offload 100% or even 80% in that time span in my experience. Well, maybe you can if you have a really fantastic offering like the beautiful forest in Campanula or Campbell or a marina or something. What's exasperating is that you spend hours furnishing homes -- people want you to take it out. If you don't have furnishing, they say, can you furnish it, you spend an hour, they leave after a day. You have to know what you want to do yourself, regardless, and have rules.

Let me say that at heart, I think this is a fool's errand and I don't think I will find much dissent on this from those who have done it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Pretty sure Linden put out a press release when there were some pricing changes that they were changing their business model to less of a focus on tier fees and more of a focus on encouraging memberships.

Doesn't matter. The techinistas have always hated land, hated user equity, hated servers they have to upkeep, and have this dream -- this illusion -- that they can make bank on content sales, on currency sales, on taxation, and move away from the land model. But they can't.

Look at what their balance sheet is, visible in world. Ebbe had described in one of his last interviews the profit for LL, and it is nearly the same figure as taking all the islands and all the mainland and multiplying by their annual tier. The end.

The marketplace taxation and currency fees just doesn't equal this by any stretch at all, nor will it do this at any time in the future. If it could, you would have seen them dump land sales as a model. They would have either created a company that only did that and sold that, or they would have drastically cut the price to then have more currency and content sales. But they didn't.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

Some more good points brought up.

I will comment that: land sales and land support tier are two separate but linked aspects. Not the same thing.

Sure people need to have enough tier to buy that land but the sales are separate from that and as I already said it continues to complicate the tier issue as sometimes you cannot afford to buy enough land to fully fill the ever larger tier level. Also aside from auctions though LL again has shown they don't care that much about land sales revenue or they would price the sale of abandoned land more on a "current market price" model..

Heck if I could just on my one account buy 2 different tier sized blocks that would also somewhat solve this issue.. sure I'd be paying more per meter for the smaller block (although as stated above I'm already paying more per meter having a 1/4 region rather then 1/8) but in the end could pay just a little bit less in tier fees which then would likely be spent on other purchases in SL anyway..

A tier structure geared towards those who wish to occupy and use land rather than landbarrons in combination with shuttering subletting / renting would go a long way toward reinvigorating mainland.

Playing landlord should be limited to private estates.

I'm sure a ZIndra like land exchange program trading mainland holdings for private estates could be worked out for landlords.

• Like 4

i had another play with the tier schedule.  If we work off the current pricing and use 1024sqm as the base unit then the schedule would look something like this:

Sqm

Unit

Multiplier

Price

> 65556: $2.7344 per unit (1024m)

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Rufferta said:

I would like to see what would happen if the Lindens took one of those big abandoned pieces of land and split it into 1024 plots with "Protected Land" roads and easements. If I win the lottery, I might try doing something like that myself, just for an experiment - only I'd have to pay tier for the roads and easements....

(Just dreaming).

You should take a look at Campbell Coast. @rasterscan and @BJoyful have already done exactly that, over about 5 regions of mainland, and it's lovely.

When Linden Labs do it - not so much (see Horizons, Nautilus Island).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.