Is there a way to prevent someone from sending me lindens?

MikeSTaco

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 979 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I know weird question but would like to know if there is a way to prevent a person from sending me lindens if i do not wish it?

I know how the block feature works and even while blocked lindens still pass from one account to another. I just want to know if there is a way to stop just the lindens?

16 answers to this question

The reason blocked users send their victims money, typically L$1 at a time, is the hope that you'll send it back.

Once you send the money back, they will then look at their transaction history and under the record where you gave the money back they will see the location you were at when you did it.

This is how they stalk people.

• Like 3

Not only can they get your location if you give the money back, but the very act of giving it back will unblock the person if you have blocked them.

Them paying you does not unblock them and doesn't even give them any indication that they are blocked.  

As Rowan said - just enjoy the free money...................... UNLESS it is a large amount of L$ - many thousands of L$.  The money might have been gotten via fraudulent means and the person might be wanting to pull you into the scam as an unwilling party and get your account locked.  If you ever receive a huge amount of L$, unexplained, submit a Support ticket requesting LL verify the legitimacy of it - and don't spend the money until LL responds.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

a way to help with not seeing the messages is:

menu: Advanced \ Debug Settings \ NotifyMoneyReceived = False  (is True by default)

if you do want to check on who else might have given you money (thru sales, tips, rentals, etc) then can look it up on your Dashboard \ Transactions

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeSTaco said:

I know weird question but would like to know if there is a way to prevent a person from sending me lindens if i do not wish it?

I know how the block feature works and even while blocked lindens still pass from one account to another. I just want to know if there is a way to stop just the lindens?

None that I'm aware of.  Keep them blocked and enjoy the Ls.

21 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

The reason blocked users send their victims money, typically L$1 at a time, is the hope that you'll send it back.

Once you send the money back, they will then look at their transaction history and under the record where you gave the money back they will see the location you were at when you did it.

This is how they stalk people.

Wow I never thought about that! Thank you for making people aware of this! 

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Spending your enemy's money is so sweet. I can't understand why anyone would want to keep from getting paid.

Especially if you continue to ignore them completely.  I bet that's doubly annoying to them.  Ignored AND losing money.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

are the messages that can be send with payments also hidden?

Yes, unless things have changed in the last few months.  You'll still get the standard viewer notification about receiving money if you've turned those on.  Any personal message the sender tries to send with the money will simply go into never-never land, just like IMs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

are the messages that can be send with payments also hidden?

43 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yes, unless things have changed in the last few months.  You'll still get the standard viewer notification about receiving money if you've turned those on.  Any personal message the sender tries to send with the money will simply go into never-never land, just like IMs.

Not true, messages are hidden in sl but if you go into transactions history on your dashboard you can see them, they are found in the description field

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Joyous Francois said:

Not true, messages are hidden in sl but if you go into transactions history on your dashboard you can see them, they are found in the description field

So they don't just show up in chat in your viewer.  You really have to go looking for them.   That means you can also decide not to go looking for them too.  If you don't want to be offended or upset by reading the messages, don't go digging in your Transaction History. As they say in the movies, "Don't ask questions.  Just take the money and run."  ;) 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 979 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.