Animation Forum Category!

Medhue Simoni

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Excuse me, but Animation and Machinima are not the same thing or even mildly related. They are as similar as clothing and machinima.

Both animation and machinima are very complexed things that require their own categories. Why does something as popular and as important as animation keep getting pushed aside and out of view? In the Destination Guide, animation is relegated to the Fashion category, when it should have it's very own category. This is all pretty dang ridiculous for a product category that brings in thousands of dollars a day.

Hello, it is 1 of the 3 items that can be uploaded, and it does not even get it's own category. I guess I should be happy we get our own Marketplace category. Can some1 at LL please give us male and female sub categories for AOs too.

Put it this way... you go create dance animations and what not... some lovebirds with Frapps will capture themselves dancing away and post it here for everyone to see. People will go "awwwwwwwww... you are the perfect couple, nice place nice dance...etc" and you will go in and say.."Yeah, I made those animations thank you very much".

Yes, they may not related but at least they compliment each other.

Yeah! That seems like a strange combination.

I always thought machinima belonged more together with art and photography in a way, although the photo forum is as much about showing the pictures as it is the technical aspects, while the machinima forum is almost exclusively about the technical side.

- Luc -

The whole world has problems with catagories! I mean, no SL but RL to. Langauge is so messed up as we try so hard to communicate things that there are texts people do not understand due to jargon. There sort of is no other way but to keep learning and not get to stressed. So much overlap and decisions.

For instance. By purpose there would only be ONE forum in this set. Creation.

If you decide to look at it by tools then you have. Texturing. Building. Sculpts, mesh and animated textures.....oops, already messed up. Maybe they use a hand painted set of tools for thier frame based animated textures? Maybe they use video and then use a program simlar to texturing.....So....then we get to Animation and we see a large mess.

Animation of avatars, animations of prims, animation of camera (this sort of is animated, if you script it to do so), Texture animation creation (different than just using the final texture in world) and then you have the fact that LSL is used in 90% of animated projects! So should there be an "Animation Focused LSL" catagory or simply only one for prim animations that covers any LSL considerations? Should that one be under LSL or Prim Animation section? Crazy stuff.

Mechinima artists might be more likely to use animation due to the avatar being a large focus and moving being the big point of what they do.

At least I see some evolution in the tools for machinima - 3rd party viewers in particular are adding features that make it easier and more efficient.

For avatar animation, by contrast, I have not seen a development or increase in support since the last open source update of qavimator in - when was it - 2008?

Medhue if i recall correctly you still favor slat. So one of SL's most prolific animators uses an open source invention that has never been updated or supported by LL

I know there are 3rd party anim softwares with SL export, such as dazs 3d etc, but it still surprises me that such an essential function has no support or development from LL. Whatever tool you use, the animator must know workarounds for SL defaults and such.

Or am I overlooking some new initiative *crosses fingers and hopes so*?

I am listening reggae here, so no stress at all :matte-motes-wink:

I tend to be a bit technical tough. However I prefer to avoid hard stuff in this forum, as it is already messed up.

Anyway, it is obvious that Animation and Machinima are related in so many ways. Here they are grouped into a sub-category: Creation Forum, which is a sub-category of Forums.

The point is that both Animation and Machinima are [or should be] a sub-category themselves. 

If you are talking about Machinima, then it is correct to say that Animation is a a sub-category of Machinima. The same does not apply to Animation, as Machinima is not a property of Animation. While Machinimakers need Animations to make Machinima, Animators do not need Machinimakers in order to make their Animations, eh?

Well, If there is 1 category of things imported into SL that needs alot of explaining, it would be animation. Mesh needs alot because it is new, and there are alot of different programs you can use. Texturing tho, there are millions of people who know the basics of Photoshop. There are few people that know that much about animation, and even fewer that know anything about animating in SL.

Plus, it really annoys me, that LL does not promote animation at all. Yet, if there is 1 area of games that SL completely dominates, it is animation. It is really that 1 thing that sets SL far beyond any game or other virtual world. In SL, we have more animation than all other games ever made, all put together. Heck, I alone have more animation than any other platform.

Now, of course, I'm biased, but LL should really promote the animation aspect of SL more. LL did add animation to the character that a newbie chooses when they sign up. I was shocked by that, and it really makes the sign up much more appealing. Kudos on that LL, but you really need to give the animation aspect of SL more exposure. Clothes, people can buy in any, and almost every game, made since the 90's. Currently, there are only a few games that you can buy animation in, and SL is miles ahead of the others.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

hi all

yes dear this is an good idea but as you know all the BVH fil used by LL is not the same as all gams or programs

but if LL will promot our creations animatins, all games and programs will make an adapt for LBVH

and it will be great buseniss and the bigest earning for LL with % commussion

mmm how you will do it !!

maybe by creating webstore like marketplace only for anim with gif texture or ppls can add thier video for animation presantation

and recive money by usd$ for who have pypal, or an sl exchange account to convert $ to L$

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.