The secret behind eyeshadows

Jazleen Raynier

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1038 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I love looking through  'how does your avatar look today' and am, quite honestly, as green as peas jealous at the makeups I often see, especially eyeshadows..  I have a Genus Classic Head and except for a very few eyeshadows I have that actually sit right, for the most part my eyes tend to look like my 2yr old grandson has done my makeup with a paintbrush... 

Is there something I'm not doing with my eye sliders that I should be to make the shadows sit right or at least a tad more like the pictures that made me buy them in the first place?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jazleen Raynier said:

I love looking through  'how does your avatar look today' and am, quite honestly, as green as peas jealous at the makeups I often see, especially eyeshadows..  I have a Genus Classic Head and except for a very few eyeshadows I have that actually sit right, for the most part my eyes tend to look like my 2yr old grandson has done my makeup with a paintbrush... 

Is there something I'm not doing with my eye sliders that I should be to make the shadows sit right or at least a tad more like the pictures that made me buy them in the first place?

Buying eyeshadow especially for your head is a start.   Although BOM makeup will work on most heads, results can vary.  If it's an applier and made for your head, you can usually turn down the intensity with the sliders on the head hud.

ETA.  I never buy without demoing first.  No demo, no sale

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 4

I've tried many an eyeshadow demo and had similar problems. Eyeshadows are tricky. If your avatar skin has specific eyelid details then an eyeshadow might not match up correctly and look painted on. There is the 'blend' function but it only changes the eyeshadow transparency which affects the original intensity of the eyeshadow. There isn't any way to adjust the positioning of an eyeshadow that I know of. My advice is to check the skin creator's store for specific makeup for your skin or to keep trying out eyeshadow demos until you find a store that aligns with your skin. I found a store that matched up and bought several eyeshadows. 

As for the photo gallery of avatars I'd guess most people have spent a lot of time looking for their exact makeup needed. Putting together good avatars is hard work!

• Like 1

Maybe try alaskametro for eyeshadows. As well as having very pretty makeup, her eyeshadows are available in several "fits" so you are far more likely to find one that works with the shape of your eyes. And as a bonus, her demos work as fully functional makeup, giving you a free shade of the product.

• Like 1

In the 'looks' thread I think you'll tend to only see the 'good' images. I know I don't post the flops.

Also, add a bit of salt. If I have a good image and the eyes are not quite right, I'll Photoshop it. So, what I am saying is there is a level of perfection in some images that is beyond what you'll see in SL.

But demos, as others have said, is the key to getting the look you want.

BOM and Applier makeup adjust the intensity (transparency) differently. BOM make up will have number versions of the makeup. Usually with numbers indicating the level of opacity. You wear the one that has the opacity you like.

An applier's makeup transparency is controlled by sliders in the head's HUD. I prefer this style as I have more control over the look.

3 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Also, add a bit of salt. If I have a good image and the eyes are not quite right, I'll Photoshop it. So, what I am saying is there is a level of perfection in some images that is beyond what you'll see in SL.

I am truly shocked.  You, of all people!   Who will be my hero now?  😭

P.S. I don't have a copy of Photoshop...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anna Nova said:

Who will be my hero now?  😭

GIMP.

Autographs are L$50.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I love playing with SL makeup! When I still wore a Genus head, the brands I typically I went to for looks were AlaskaMetro and Izzies. Not only are these makeups very pretty, they were among the first that I knew about that included BOM layers with their sets. BOM for eye makeup is pretty important for me due to the alpha glitch  that comes with your lashes/hair. Any applier including the brows (if you wear separate ones from the ones on your skin) can appear invisible if SL gets your layers confused, and there isn't a lot you can do to about it. While you may see your makeup just fine, other people might not see it at all. So if I ever do wear HD eye make up (appliers) I tend to save them for pictures.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laurel Aurelia said:

I love playing with SL makeup! When I still wore a Genus head, the brands I typically I went to for looks were AlaskaMetro and Izzies. Not only are these makeups very pretty, they were among the first that I knew about that included BOM layers with their sets. BOM for eye makeup is pretty important for me due to the alpha glitch  that comes with your lashes/hair. Any applier including the brows (if you wear separate ones from the ones on your skin) can appear invisible if SL gets your layers confused, and there isn't a lot you can do to about it. While you may see your makeup just fine, other people might not see it at all. So if I ever do wear HD eye make up (appliers) I tend to save them for pictures.

I have the Genus Strong head and I also use a lot of BOM makeup from those brands! I believe I have a few from Glamorize as well. All of them are on the MP for not a lot of money, which is also a plus.

4 hours ago, Aiyumei said:

My advice, stalk the weekend sales. There are usually plenty of very good make-up products on sale, specially for Genus and Catwa. In no time you'll have enough make-up diversity to experiment and mix. :P

Agree! This is a great place to start. I am obsessed with BOM makeup and for L$ 50 or L$ 75 it's really a small risk to take on something. I use Lelutka so I don't have any specific recommendations for Genus other than to echo Aiyumei's wise advice :)

Edited by Alexis Crisp

9 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

I am truly shocked.  You, of all people!   Who will be my hero now?  😭

Pop goes the bubble... Nearly all of my Firestorm snaps are passed through PS. With Black Dragon fewer pass through PS before appearing in the forum. Often the BD tweaking is enough.

GIMP is a good free choice of image editor, as mentioned. Also, Paint.Net is comprehensive and free.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1038 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.