You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 135 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, 

I'm interested in paganism and wicca among other things; more broadly I just have a curious interest in witchcraft without knowing all that much about it and I'm looking for an active community of witches to explore and be a part of - does anybody have any groups or sims that they would recommend? I'm looking for something focusing mostly or solely on witchcraft, witch culture and rituals, rather than being a vague hodgepodge of supernatural themes. I thought there would be communities, groups or active sims out there promoting witchcraft and the witch lifestyle as there are places like Transylvania, which focuses on vampirism and gothic subculture where you can experience and learn more about the lifestyle. 

I've seen just a few that might be promising, were it not for the lack of active members and mostly empty sims. My time zone is also an issue as I live in the Southern Hemisphere, and a lot of folks are up north. I'm not sure which one I should join and see how it goes, so I'm asking for suggestions.

I'm also a casual roleplayer who is looking for new themes and settings to roleplay in; a witch roleplay does appeal to me and I would also like to find good, active roleplay groups, communities and sims that focus on witches almost exclusively, however I want to learn more about witchcraft itself and experience the culture and lifestyle before I do so. I'll probably also post in the roleplay section sometime else. 

I'm not looking for a group and a place that just hosts live music events endlessly. 

If anybody can kindly help me out, I would be most appreciative.

- Charlotte Sinclair 

Edited by LottaSinclair

I'm not Wiccan by any means, I'm an antitheistic Satanist, but have a keen interest in paganism due to my heritage, and have actively participated in (and moderated) various online communities mainly focused on historical Norse, Germanic, Celtic, and Slavic pre-Christian culture and mythology. I'm also 'Gothic', and enjoy roleplay - so whilst I can't suggest any specific venues or communities in SL (as I never came across any I cared for), I'd be happy to chat about such subjects; I'm no expert on Wicca, but I'd be curious to learn more about it.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I'm not Wiccan by any means, I'm an antitheistic Satanist, but have a keen interest in paganism due to my heritage, and have actively participated in (and moderated) various online communities mainly focused on historical Norse, Germanic, Celtic, and Slavic pre-Christian culture and mythology. I'm also 'Gothic', and enjoy roleplay - so whilst I can't suggest any specific venues or communities in SL (as I never came across any I cared for), I'd be happy to chat about such subjects; I'm no expert on Wicca, but I'd be curious to learn more about it.

Hello Orwar, 

Nice to see you again! Thank you so much for your continued responses!

Wow, that is very interesting to hear about your interest and heritage in pre-Christian pagan cultures. The ones you mentioned do certainly interest me, although beyond at least partially identifying with those cultures, I've never really looked into any in too great of a level of detail as to almost live it as a personal way of life. I technically do share some of that heritage, but it's easy to be so far removed from all of those things nowadays. 

I hardly know anything about Satanism, much less antitheistic Satanism... 

I'm slowly exploring gothic and vampiric culture where I can find it.

As far as "witchcraft" goes, I would say I have a general curiosity for it that compels me to want to explore it.

I would definitely love to meet and chat with you in-world sometime (it's about time, isn't it :)

Edited by LottaSinclair

22 minutes ago, LottaSinclair said:

I hardly know anything about Satanism, much less antitheistic Satanism...

Satanism comes in a few different forms. Antitheistic satanism is a philosophical rejection of, primarily, the Abrahamic religious influences, as opposed to 'devil worship' which acknowledges the existence of a God and an antagonistic counterpart thereof which becomes the subject of worship (i.e. Satan). It promotes individualism in contrast of the hierarchic collectivism of the church, and places one's own needs and desires above any notion of taboo or 'sin'.

Many Satanists, predominantly women, refer to themselves as witches - but Satanic magic isn't explained as anything 'supernatural', but the conscious employment of psychology to influence others in their actions towards oneself; persuasion, seduction, etc. Rituals are more akin to meditation, where you set aside time to focus on solving problems, or give room to vent emotional pressure in peace.

33 minutes ago, LottaSinclair said:

I'm slowly exploring gothic and vampiric culture where I can find it.

The Gothic subculture is extremely varied these days, with plenty of branches accommodating all sorts of people. Personally I'm of the opinion that the various prefixes are good as a tool to describe a certain theme, but I'm not a fan of when people take it as far as to describe themselves as a specific type of Goth and then try to establish 'rules' for what is and isn't part of their clique; a large part of any subculture is to break away from the mainstream, so to then create one's own mainstream-esque attitude within such a subculture strikes me as peculiar. 

In Second Life I haven't seen a whole lot of communities specifically for any given type, but some music venues catering to certain musical styles tend to have a lot more Gothic folks than the regular rock clubs do - particularly European venues catering to industrial and EDM (I figure it's largely due to how those 'younger' types of Goths who enjoy those kinds of music are more likely to find their way into Second Life than Romantic or Trad-Goths are). But on the flipside, both Rivetheads and Synths have historically vehemently rejected any notion of being 'Goths', although in both fashion and, to more or less extent, music, they are practically indistinguishable to an outsider (much like Emos). 

Vampirism is trickier still. Most people agree that vampires are mythological creatures, but with social media accommodating congregation of individuals with sometimes peculiar ideas, there are now people and communities who identify themselves as vampires, sometimes in pretty extreme ways (and usually those extremes come off as blatantly unhealthy). It's one thing to try to achieve a vampiric aesthetic (Romantic Goths have done it for a long time), and a whole different one to try living on meat juice.

In Second Life though, there are a lot of vampires of various descriptions, from roleplayers and Bloodlines/Progeny players who may or may not strive for a classically vampiric aesthetic, to HUD-game junkies who just get hooked on the 'gaming' part of it and like seeing their names on the leaderboards.

Posted (edited)

Wow, that is certainly very interesting. Thank you, Orwar. 

I was thinking "antitheistic" doesn't necessarily mean atheistic. From my perspective, Satanism sounds like it's closer to Humanism from what I can understand, than any theistic, mainstream religion, in that it places importance on human needs and values above any religious beliefs and focuses on a free mind, the human potential and self-actualization, albeit in a symbolic manner. 

I've never really noticed much strict self-distinction to the exclusion of others between subcultures, only that there is variety and diversity within them. I think it's possible there can be a subculture within a larger subculture that rejects certain elements of the original culture. It's the distinction between them and their defining characteristics that make the difference. 

Although this discussion is very interesting and I would like to continue it, we risk straying from the original topic of my post, which was witches, the practice and culture of witchcraft, in presumably its many forms, although I'm loosely focusing on the term in a more broad, mainstream way, without excluding any particular subcultures. There is obviously a difference between someone who tries out some "witchy stuff" on YouTube and a devoted practitioner of Wicca of many years. Of course there's a spectrum between the two. I would hardly call myself familiar with any of it.

I'm asking in particular if anybody knows any active communities or groups in Second Life that focus around this that I should look into and consider, if they are worthwhile or not. If all I can find is just roleplay, then I'm fine with that too.

Edited by LottaSinclair

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 135 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.