So... besides reporting and derendering, what can be done about gross/graphic adult content blatantly on display in a moderate region?

LilithServil

Question

I know nobody can actually do anything about it here, I'm just wondering if there are any other avenues I can take. I feel like the reports my partner and I filed aren't really going to do much.

Right now there's a full bright naked greeter image right across from my mainland home close enough to the other parcel's ban line that it's both A) facing my house directly and B) spamming messages in chat if I get too close to that corner of my yard. That itself wouldn't be TOO bad but there's also images depicting graphic content-- it's not technically something banned on SL but it's definitely disturbing to plenty of people and has to do with animals. 😕 It certainly has no place on a Moderate rated land and there's 0 attempt to tuck it away in an enclosed skybox where it belongs or even in a building. Just straight up littered around on the ground.

Oh and there's adult rated furniture littered all over the place too themed around the same general thing. All in all a pretty uncomfortable sight especially considering I just invited someone brand new to SL and now he has to see that when he logs in next. It's super super offputting.

Sorry for the semi-vent lol I just wanted to know if there's anything additional I can do besides the reports that have already been filed. I'm probably going to put up a temporary ugly looking wall to block all of it so the new person on my land doesn't have to see it in the meantime...

16 answers to this question

If you use your wall idea, see if you can use a 1-sided wall, with a nice picture on the side that faces you, and invisible/transparent facing the perpetrator.  They may never know it is there, and therefore not attempt to circumvent it.   

7 hours ago, LilithServil said:

B) spamming messages in chat if I get too close to that corner of my yard.

Check the SL ad policy. Spamming messages in chat off-parcel is a TOS violation. So are ads which include adult content. If they're doing either of those things, just submit an abuse request from the viewer.

You can suggest to the landowner that they consider swapping their parcel for one in Zindra, the adult continent. Then their tacky adult parcel can compete with less-tacky adult parcels, which may induce them to up their game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LilithServil said:

I'd rather not get in touch with the land owner. Their profile and the material they have strewn about their lawn tells me all I need to know about them. If they don't have any qualms with calling people nazis flippantly and having graphic images and nsfw content revolving around animals slapped all over their parcel's floor then they really don't seem like the kind that'd listen to... well, anything. And I don't want to provoke them moreso. The spammy naked fullbright greeter close to the banline directly facing my parcel seems too convenient to just be a coincidence as it is.

I'll look into submitting an abuse request. 

From what I can tell it breaks the following rules listed there:

...Because the greeter is based around adult content, intruding on my parcel with chat, and behind ban lines.

All in all though will reporting the advertising content get LL to check the entire parcel out too? While the greeter is sexual in nature to begin with, it's not as much of an offense as the graphic artwork depicting what I mentioned above + all of the sex furniture all over the place.

Anything adult such as you described technically needs to be behind closed doors.  

This recent thread discusses something similar

1 hour ago, LilithServil said:

I know nobody can actually do anything about it here, I'm just wondering if there are any other avenues I can take. I feel like the reports my partner and I filed aren't really going to do much.

Right now there's a full bright naked greeter image right across from my mainland home close enough to the other parcel's ban line that it's both A) facing my house directly and B) spamming messages in chat if I get too close to that corner of my yard. That itself wouldn't be TOO bad but there's also images depicting graphic content-- it's not technically something banned on SL but it's definitely disturbing to plenty of people and has to do with animals. 😕 It certainly has no place on a Moderate rated land and there's 0 attempt to tuck it away in an enclosed skybox where it belongs or even in a building. Just straight up littered around on the ground.

Oh and there's adult rated furniture littered all over the place too themed around the same general thing. All in all a pretty uncomfortable sight especially considering I just invited someone brand new to SL and now he has to see that when he logs in next. It's super super offputting.

Sorry for the semi-vent lol I just wanted to know if there's anything additional I can do besides the reports that have already been filed. I'm probably going to put up a temporary ugly looking wall to block all of it so the new person on my land doesn't have to see it in the meantime...

Be sure to include screenshots with your report.  Other than that, I don't think there's much else you can do.  Possibly,  the owner of those items is doing it for shock value and to get a response.  Doing so might just escalate the issue.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Be sure to include screenshots with your report.  Other than that, I don't think there's much else you can do.  Possibly,  the owner of those items is doing it for shock value and to get a response.  Doing so might just escalate the issue.  

Yup, which is exactly why I haven't actually contacted the owner or anything and am asking here instead.

I'm not sure it's just a shock value thing though unfortunately considering just how many items there are; that'd be a LOT of L to sink in for a troll. Though their profile is also kind of yikes and basically calls a certain group of people nazis basically so that's also a thing...

Is there a way to see if the land is being rented and therefore maybe be able to contact a landlord? If LL doesn't do anything about it I wonder if I could get a land owner to-- provided they're not the land owner themselves...

1 hour ago, LilithServil said:

s there a way to see if the land is being rented and therefore maybe be able to contact a landlord? If LL doesn't do anything about it I wonder if I could get a land owner to-- provided they're not the land owner themselves...

Getting the info on other parcels is a bit finicky if you're not standing on that parcel. if you edit (yes you can "edit" things you don't own) a thing on their parcel and then open the about land tab, you have a 50/50 shout at getting their parcel info rather than the info on the parcel you're standing on. if you look at the land owner's profile (or the profile of the person who founded the land-group) it should be pretty obvious whether they're a land-rent organization or an individual.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quistessa said:

Getting the info on other parcels is a bit finicky if you're not standing on that parcel. if you edit (yes you can "edit" things you don't own) a thing on their parcel and then open the about land tab, you have a 50/50 shout at getting their parcel info rather than the info on the parcel you're standing on. if you look at the land owner's profile (or the profile of the person who founded the land-group) it should be pretty obvious whether they're a land-rent organization or an individual.

In that case it looks like it's an individually owned land. 😕 The only other person in the group is someone with a similar bio and there doesn't seem to be any rental service tied to it.

Which is frustrating, because I really don't think that kind of stuff should be allowed out in the open on Moderate land. It's really uncomfortable and I hope LL actually responds to the reports. There's also some uncomfy things in the profiles of both people who own the land.

• Sad 1

The general region where I have a shop ended up with a public adult area. I went from an open air shop to inside a building, because the reports were ignored. I'm not sure in the end if someone else reported it or the editor who came to check my shop for the destination guide saw it. My reports just didn't go anywhere.

All I can suggest is to put up something to block the view and try to get other people to report it. They might have more luck. (The destination guide option is perhaps a bit extreme.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, animats said:

Check the SL ad policy. Spamming messages in chat off-parcel is a TOS violation. So are ads which include adult content. If they're doing either of those things, just submit an abuse request from the viewer.

You can suggest to the landowner that they consider swapping their parcel for one in Zindra, the adult continent. Then their tacky adult parcel can compete with less-tacky adult parcels, which may induce them to up their game.

I'd rather not get in touch with the land owner. Their profile and the material they have strewn about their lawn tells me all I need to know about them. If they don't have any qualms with calling people nazis flippantly and having graphic images and nsfw content revolving around animals slapped all over their parcel's floor then they really don't seem like the kind that'd listen to... well, anything. And I don't want to provoke them moreso. The spammy naked fullbright greeter close to the banline directly facing my parcel seems too convenient to just be a coincidence as it is.

I'll look into submitting an abuse request. 

From what I can tell it breaks the following rules listed there:

• Ad content must be clearly Parcel lght G.png General in nature.
  • They must not dispense unsolicited IMs, note cards, landmarks or content.
  • Ban lines should be switched off.

...Because the greeter is based around adult content, intruding on my parcel with chat, and behind ban lines.

All in all though will reporting the advertising content get LL to check the entire parcel out too? While the greeter is sexual in nature to begin with, it's not as much of an offense as the graphic artwork depicting what I mentioned above + all of the sex furniture all over the place.

5 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Anything adult such as you described technically needs to be behind closed doors.  

This recent thread discusses something similar

Yup, which is why it'll be frustrating if nothing gets done about it. Like, I have a couple pieces of furniture with adult menus but they're: 1. Inside a  building/skybox, 2. never really used and just there as decor.

This stuff is very obviously not decor, it looks hideous, it's haphazardly strewn around the ground floor, it's right out in the open and it's accompanied by nsfw images too. It's super distasteful and I'm mostly frustrated my friend who's totally new to SL will possibly see that considering the reputation SL has to begin with + how YIKES the content is in the first place over there. It's also annoying having to use precious land impact just to put up privacy walls/hedges that don't look trashy and terrible too.

Three days so far this stuff has been allowed to sit there, and now there's even MORE gross nsfw content up. I've lost count of how many times things have been reported if you tally up me and my friends' reports.

Considering the nature of the content itself I'm disappointed its been taking so long to get anything done about it.

Just now, Alwin Alcott said:

with exceptions for life threathening cases :

friday - weekend
saturday - weekend
sunday- weekend

Is friday considered a weekend? I've always known it as normal work hours-- didn't know it was considered a weekend for LL.

Just in general it feels odd there's no moderation on weekends, but ah well. Guess I didn't really consider the possibility of there not being staff that handles fri/sat/sun days.

On 6/11/2021 at 4:10 PM, Quistess Alpha said:

Getting the info on other parcels is a bit finicky if you're not standing on that parcel.

It's easy, but not obvious. Build->Select Build Tool->Land Tool->Select Land. Point and click on the land of interest. This selects a square on the land. It will work across ban lines but not sim boundaries. Click "About Land". This will bring up the parcel info.

Edited by animats
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2021 at 10:22 PM, LilithServil said:

Usually on mainland its done by dickheads who are after your parcel they put upp obnoctious sht so you move or abbandon/sell it off for a low price .

Mainland i call it *****ehole i never ever in all my sl life have seen anything decent there that didnt got ruined .

Go look upp Serena estates they have some great maintaned sims homesteads and a great service when it comes to your habitats zero drama there .

Or get one of the new linden homes waterfronts they are great all sailable land and houses like the tortuga i really like it there :)

• Like 1