Climate Change

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We seriously need to tackle climate change. I'm relieved to discover brilliant governmental officials in The U.S. who will lead the way:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jun/09/texas-republican-louie-gohmert-climate-change

* But on a serious note, are you worried about climate change? And do you believe there is a solution?

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If we want to fix it based on per-capita pollution produced; we might need to look beyond the US 🙂 There are several opportunities…..

Also……..it will probably need to be a Non-Government Organization. Politicians look at poll numbers too much.

Edited by Amanda Crisp
  • Like 2

After watching a docu recently I wondered why we don't tap Yellowstone for a natural, ecofriendly energy source. There's so much heat trapped under there, it could probably power most of the western states alone. There's a country that does something similar since they're so close the Earth's mantle. I want to say it's Greenland but I'm not sure.

• Like 2

Earth warmth is easy to use everywhere without having to interfere with Yogi Bear's habitat. It is everywhere and it starts already pretty near the surface.

There are ground source heat pumps on the market already.

And a nearby town here has city heating projects in several buildings and blocks, based on the ground water temperature in abandoned coalmine tunnels underneath the surface of the city.
Here in my community they are making plans to reduce the use of gas and oil for heating by using earth warmth as well.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Amanda Crisp said:

If we want to fix it based on per-capita pollution produced; we might need to look beyond the US 🙂 There are several opportunities…..

Also……..it will probably need to be a Non-Government Organization. Politicians look at poll numbers too much.

First step has to be to ignore the human involvement in the climate change any longer, like tons of conservatives and conservative politicians all over the world still do.
And it will have to be backed up by laws and tons off governmental regulations and interference.  And because only suggesting this, is almost as bad as cursing in a church for large parts of the USA, I will not hold my breath until changes start on a scale that could make a difference in the US.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Earth warmth is easy to use everywhere without having to interfere with Yogi Bear's habitat. It is everywhere and it starts alreadt pretty near the surface.

There are ground source heat pumps on the market already.

And a nearby town here has city heating projects in several buildings and blocks, based on the ground water temperature in abandoned coalmine tunnels underneath the surface of the city.
Here in my community they are making plans to reduce the use of gas and oil for heating by using earth warmth as well.

Yellowstone is pretty vast. There's a lot of habitat there but there's also a lot of area there that is uninhabitable since there's acidic heat pools and um a massive volcano underground. Tapping the uninhabitable parts for essentially infinite steam power would barely affect the habitable parts if at all.

Edited by Finite
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Finite said:

Yellowstone is pretty vast. There's a lot of habitat there but there's also a lot of area there that is inhabitable since there's acidic heat pools and um a massive volcano underground. Tapping the inhabitable parts for essentially infinite steam power would barely affect the habitable parts if at all.

Inhabitable = habitable. I think you meant uninhabitable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Josephine Carissa said:

I think it was Iceland that I read about. I always get Iceland and Greenland confused.

https://nea.is/geothermal/

Iceland geothermal energy

Iceland is a pioneer in the use of geothermal energy for space heating. In 2014, roughly 85% of primary energy use in Iceland came from indigenous renewable resources. ... Geothermal sources accounts for 66% of Iceland's primary energy use.
  • Like 1

I don't know about the SL cloud, but I'm on 100% green (sustainable) electricity and the new server parks from Google and Microsoft in the NL too (thanks to our tax money)

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I vote we don't tap Yellowstone, at all .. even lightly.

I like my caldera's dormant.

If only it were dormant.

Between 1996 and 2004, an 18-mile-long area rose 4.7 inches, only to sink back 2.8 inches between 2005 to 2013. Then the region suddenly shot up again at a rate of 5.9 inches a year between late 2013 and early 2014, the highest pace of uplift ever observed within Yellowstone National Park.Mar 19, 2020

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/chunk-yellowstone-size-chicago-has-been-pulsing

Edited by Finite
  • Like 1

Yep, I am definitely concerned about it, but without laws being passed to force change, I can't see most people making changes. Consuming meat, dairy and eggs for example, is not only harmful to our health and causing horrific suffering to innocent beings, it's a leading cause of climate change, as are many more things I am less aware of.

I think we ALL need to make any changes we can reasonably be expected to make

• Like 1

Pfft. A little bit of climate change induced extinction never hurt anyone. I think we should all follow the example of Germany - hurriedly shut down the most environmentally friendly, consistent source of energy we have and start burning fossil fuels. Progress! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, ArgontheDevil Ormega said:

All this makes me enjoy driving my internal combustion engine car and eating meat more.

Enjoy your internal combustion engine car while you can -- it's very much sunset technology, in that the sale and registration of new petrol- and diesel-powered cars is been banned in an increasing number of countries (including the UK) from the early 2030s onwards, and the infrastructure is changing accordingly:  Why it's the end of the road for petrol stations.

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.