Bad Neighbor - Does This Type of Thing Happen Often?

Hi SL friends, 

I've been playing SL for a little over a year, and I found this lovely space to build my sim. 

I've had this land for a few months now, and I've noticed my neighbor copies everything I do - which is fine. 

But lately, she's been doing stuff like this. Placing these giant screens that are invisible on her side but visible on mine. 

Does this type of thing often happen with SL neighbors? I'm curious to know. 

I want to have a peaceful and enjoyable time on my sim, but I feel she wants to create drama. Weird.  

Sasha 1_001.png

Sasha 1_002.png

Sasha 1_003.png

Nearly everyone on mainland does this.  If you use Firestorm you can derender them. You'll probably have to derender the cliffs as well; the screen is hiding the back side of them.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, theesasha said:

Does this type of thing often happen with SL neighbors?

Sadly, yes - welcome to SL Mainland.  

Maitimo gives the best advice for dealing with it - use any third party viewer that gives you the ability to permanently derender objects.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

Nearly everyone on mainland does this.  If you use Firestorm you can derender them. You'll probably have to derender the cliffs as well; the screen is hiding the back side of them.

I'll do that. Thank you so much! ^^ 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Sadly, yes - welcome to SL Mainland.  

Maitimo gives the best advice for dealing with it - use any third party viewer that gives you the ability to permanently derender objects.

I'll check him out, thank you! ^^

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Nearly everyone on mainland does this.

I'm sorry, but that's not my experience. Practically, though, the OP may as well assume it's the case because there's nothing else to be done short selling off this parcel and shopping for a (currently) more hospitable spot (with the clear risk of the next one getting just as bad as this one).

And yet I own a bunch of Mainland scattered over three continents with scores of neighbors, and I don't have a single current neighbor doing this. In my years of Mainland experience I've only faced it very infrequently and usually very temporarily. Point is, rather than selling-off the land, one may get lucky just derendering as you suggest, and waiting-out the neighbor.

Or… shopping for new land is fun too!

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:

I'm sorry, but that's not my experience. Practically, though, the OP may as well assume it's the case because there's nothing else to be done short selling off this parcel and shopping for a (currently) more hospitable spot (with the clear risk of the next one getting just as bad as this one).

And yet I own a bunch of Mainland scattered over three continents with scores of neighbors, and I don't have a single current neighbor doing this. In my years of Mainland experience I've only faced it very infrequently and usually very temporarily. Point is, rather than selling-off the land, one may get lucky just derendering as you suggest, and waiting-out the neighbor.

Or… shopping for new land is fun too!

I was thinking of saying something similar. Whilst I have seen them on mainland, I have see them much more on private estates separate from mainland.

I don't understand their appeal, to be hemmed in depriving your parcel of natural light from 270 degrees around you is not just unneighbourly but something I would find claustrophobic.

• Like 5

From my experience, that is sadly a characteristic behaviour of people who don't want to cooperate but just protect their parcels at all costs, and aren't willing to reach out to their neighbours for a little talk so everyone could enjoy the surroundings.

At one region, I have a neighbour who was excited right away when I suggested to work together to make the landscape of our parcels blending in. We have a really nice neighbourly friendship now which I appreciate a lot. If there is any issue, we just let each other know, figure it out and suggest each other a solution we all can benefit from.

I experienced the contrary, too: neighbours who aren't willing to communicate at all, or if they do, then through showing their disagreement by, well, putting up walls or similar. I would usually reach out and try to cooperate / have a talk but sometimes, you don't get any reaction at all, no matter how hard you try. Not much you can do then. I refuse to let them provoke me to a level where it could escalate into a bad fight though. I use the tools that are provided (e.g. derendering) or just try to cover up with a few nice trees so it isn't too much intruding my view, and at the same time, still blends in nicely in the overall landscape at the region. For me, it luckily turned out often that such kind of neighbours won't stay forever. I can be patient :D

• Like 5

I can be petty at times & I’d be either blocking her view from your side with a giant screen or putting up the most hideous landscape I could think of. I’ve used screens at times when the view needed blocking but they were always transparent to the neighbours.  I’d derender anything you don’t want to see & wait her out. If you can’t see it you can’t be annoyed by it & that takes away whatever power she mistakenly thinks she has. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, theesasha said:

I've had this land for a few months now, and I've noticed my neighbor copies everything I do - which is fine. 

But lately, she's been doing stuff like this. Placing these giant screens that are invisible on her side but visible on mine. 

I want to have a peaceful and enjoyable time on my sim, but I feel she wants to create drama. Weird. 

I'm assuming that you're the sandy beach house and not the grassy waterfall house. If I'm wrong, some of this still applies and some doesn't. I was expecting to see an identical house and a clear view from the neighbour's house from your description, but that's not what the images show. The house looks different to yours and the screen is solid rock on her side. It's ugly, but I wouldn't jump to thinking this is a purposeful attempt to create drama. She may even have thought the tree screen would stop you seeing a waterfall falling from nowhere.

I haven't had many giant-screen neighbours over the years, but even the ones with other issues have moved on pretty quickly. As long as it isn't encroaching or breaking any other rules, it doesn't hurt to remember that one person's dream house is another person's ugly mess.

44 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'd be more bothered by the snowy mountains behind my sandy beach.  This is mainland?

I don't know where this is, but yeah, people can plant palm trees on the Mainland snow sims. That in mind, it's surprising how the inland snow regions gained mostly snow-themed builds. The shorelines, though… consider them prematurely tropical, in anticipation of climate change.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I don't know where this is, but yeah, people can plant palm trees on the Mainland snow sims. That in mind, it's surprising how the inland snow regions gained mostly snow-themed builds. The shorelines, though… consider them prematurely tropical, in anticipation of climate change.

I only mentioned it because it looks like a SIM surround.  The plots also look like the way some places separate parcels on private estates.

3 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

I'm assuming that you're the sandy beach house and not the grassy waterfall house. If I'm wrong, some of this still applies and some doesn't. I was expecting to see an identical house and a clear view from the neighbour's house from your description, but that's not what the images show. The house looks different to yours and the screen is solid rock on her side. It's ugly, but I wouldn't jump to thinking this is a purposeful attempt to create drama. She may even have thought the tree screen would stop you seeing a waterfall falling from nowhere.

I haven't had many giant-screen neighbours over the years, but even the ones with other issues have moved on pretty quickly. As long as it isn't encroaching or breaking any other rules, it doesn't hurt to remember that one person's dream house is another person's ugly mess.

I've changed the theme of my sim three times now, and every time I change my house/landscape, she also changes her house/landscape to the same theme. And for the last house, I had renamed/relabeled my house items (more manageable for me to find in my inventory should I need to take it.), and she bought the same furniture and renamed her items with I labeled my stuff with ....even down to my dog's name lol. That doesn't necessarily bother me as much. Interior design relaxes me. It just feels like she's being nasty by blocking my view of the water. But, as the others above have suggested, I'll derender her objects. 

Thanks, everyone! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'd be more bothered by the snowy mountains behind my sandy beach.  This is mainland?

Yes, it's mainland haha. I almost didn't buy the spot for that reason, but the view of the water was just so beautiful to me. 😍

17 hours ago, theesasha said:

Hi SL friends, 

I've been playing SL for a little over a year, and I found this lovely space to build my sim. 

Sasha 1_001.png

Sasha 1_002.png

Sasha 1_003.png

Yes, those photo-real giant boards are the worst. I ban them from my rentals unless we have some horrific build in the view from neighbours. 

The common courtesy is to put the clear on the outside, and put the texture on the inward side facing you. If you are obsessed about privacy on the Mainland, you're in the wrong place. And you can turn off "show avatars" to make yourself invisible. So why inflict this complete eyesore on the view? I think it's totally morally wrong. The Lindens are not interested in devising a policy about this, although of course they could, they can make rules "for any reason or no reason". 

You can fight back against something like this by giving them some ugly board to look at -- sometimes that forces them to climb down. But other times it will make them escalate with even more insanity.

I would agree with Qie, however. I go to lots and lots of Mainland sims and have places scattered over 60 sims. Most people do NOT do this. Most people have the common courtesy to put the clear on the OUTSIDE because they are not fanatics and don't mind if you see through the clear wall to their property where they can make themselves invisible from the outside. In fact, most people don't put up boards like this at all. It's only a certain type oblivious to the view of themselves and inconsiderate of others' experience.

De-rendering is not a solution. Some people are obnoxious enough to keep changing the prim so that you will have to keep de-rendering. And it also means that every guest you have fly in has to sit and de-render, and that's annoying, too. 

I will say that putting sandy beaches on snow sims also seems objectionable to me, especially when you can find sandy beaches that are not that expensive if you look outside of Blake.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

The flat one with ugly texture is transparent on one side. Or else you would see it over the rock wall, on image #3. This is clearly done on purpose and no accident. No one does this out of kindness.

Edited by Marianne Little
changed a few words to clarify
  • Like 2

On 6/12/2021 at 2:10 PM, Marianne Little said:

The flat one with ugly texture is transparent on one side. Or else you would see it over the rock wall, on image #3. This is clearly done on purpose and no accident. No one does this out of kindness.

It could be transparent on one side or it could be the back face of the rock wall. Either way, the neighbour can't see through it because of the giant rock wall, so the neighbour doesn't have great water views in that direction (which is what a number of responses assumed, but clearly isn't the case).

You can't really say that nobody would think the tree screen looks good when this neighbour has chosen that rock wall for their own home. This neighbour does think giant ugly walls look good.

Back when I rented some parcels out on my region we would occasionally get a tenant who would try to put these up .. and then get aggressive when asked to take them down even though they were explicitly disallowed by our covenant.

The neighbors stuck in their shadow wouldn't ever say anything either, just silently move out.

• Like 1

A lot of private estates don't allow them in their covenant, but sadly a lot of the landlords do very little to nothing to enforce those parts of their covenant.

• Like 1

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness ~ Oscar Wilde :)

That said, I agree a transparent wall is always a lot nicer and friendlier. I am a huge fan of mainland, despite there being a divide among people with this opinion ... but I find that the one thing that holds true is: if you are kind to neighbors, they will be kind to you. If you haven't already asked them to compromise in a friendly way, I would start the dialogue. I also have found that some people don't even realize that they are being annoying to neighbors until someone says something... there *are* many kind people on SL, too :)

I wish you luck... seems like a beautiful little spot, I wouldn't want to move either :)

• Like 4