Chat logs posted to external site without permission. I feel my copyrights have been violated. Help

Vladimir Gourdou

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4710 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Chat logs posted to external web site without permission. I feel my copyrights have been violated. I did not give this person permission to post my chat logs. Is there anything that can be done legally? When we click "agree" to the LL TOS and agree to not post chat logs, isn't that legally binding like in a contract?

2 answers to this question

For starters, your "copyrights" have not been violated by someone who has posted what is a conversation with you. Not everything that comes out of anyone's mouth [ETA: or keyboard!] is "copyrighted."

Second, the portion of the Community Standards that deals with posting and sharing conversation logs (Section 4, Disclosure) is generally understood to mean posting or sharing WITHIN Second Life (If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me, preferably a Linden).

ETA: LL may not approve of the practice, but there is probably little that they can do about it, certainly not if they do not clarify and/or amend the CS.

• Like 1

It's as Griffin says,once it goes outside Linden Lab controlled web space, it's outside the bounds of the TOS. This is the critical sentence at the top of the Community Standards, "All Second Life Community Standards apply to all areas of Second Life, the Second Life Forums, and the Second Life Website."

However, you can of course take legal action, but you would have to approach this through the administrator of the web site concerned and not through Linden Lab. Why not email the administrator and request that the offending chat logs be removed. He or she may aquiesce.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4710 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.