Can I make something similar to someone and sell it?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I'm back after a long break from second life.Before I left  I did some building but not in a big way and not on a commercial basis. I have a question about building something inspired in second life.

I am interested in building prefabs I find that I am inspired by a few prefabs in secondlife and I would like to do my own version of them something similar but not the same. Someday I would like to consider selling them. Of course there would be differences in the design and materials ie textures used. My question is, is it alright to do this or would it be considered a knock off  and if its a knock off is that really bad?  

thank you

Hi Katlya,

I think you will find the general rule is as long as it's 30% different then it's ok. 

As you will appreciate if someone is making and selling items to make a living the last thing you want is copycats taking your ideas and business. Using other people for ideas and inspiration is ok, but put those ideas together with your own and come up with something unique.

Hope this helps :)

Regards Zander 

It's not bad, but in SL I think most people would probably rather have the original IF the original is better.  If you can come up with a better version, tho, then go for it. That's just capitalism. :-)

Successful ppl in SL are usually those who put their energies into coming up with (more or less) original, exceptional quality content, not those who copy what other successful ppl have done, only not as well.

Copybotting (or content theft) is a RL crime.  Being inspired by someone else's content is not.  I've never heard of any "rule of thumb" concerning "30% different".  If someone is inspired by someone else's content and creates their own content using that someone else's content as a model it's perfectly okay.  Yeah, there's a gray area and making your "inspired" content in such a way that it's obviously not a copy is probably a good idea.........but it's not rule ("of thumb" or otherwise).

To the OP.  Make sure you do not directly copy any prim, texture or script in your creation.  Make your own prims using your own textures and create (or purchase full rights) scripts, if you use them in your build.  As long as you do that, there will be differences.  If you are so close to being exactly the same as your inspiration, you might be in danger of being accused of copybotting..........but that's unlikely since not even the original creator can duplicate the build from scratch without copious notes.............and you won't have those notes.

kk thank you for the replies. I had a shabby chic cottage in mind and I see that has become very popular in SL now.  So when I started to look around I was blown away by how many designs were like what I had in mind and some great stuff out there. I would certainly be making it my own and not copy prim by prim but I was a bit bothered about IP rights and the like.

So thank you for help everyone

Can't patent an idea. A method, but not an idea.

As long as you are making your own creations from the ground up, using materials you created or bought and use within their 'note card contract' that came with them, you are not doing anything wrong.

Shabby chic cottage is a huge category, and you would not be stealing anything if the above is the case. No more so than an architect who builds a ranch house would be stealing from Frank Lloyd Wright.

If getting inspired by someones creation is equal to stealing, then all creators are thieves, as well in 1st life as in the 2nd!

When you make something totally new never seen before, then i should call it something divine :matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

I think depends on how similiar. a "Log-Style Couch" or a "Mediaval Cottage", just has some points that will be similiar, cause is is a "Log-Style Couch" or a "Mediaval Cottage", so its hard to determine if it is "the same".

You can always use anothers creations as idea-fuel, but you should not use it as in copying it so it is a recognizable copy.

Yeah, I sorta don't see the point of making anything explicitly "inspired by" anything else already in world, unless you know you can make it dramatically better in some way.  Otherwise there are such limitless possibilities that it's awfully lame to be unable to come up with something unique.  Even so, that unique creation will be influenced by everything else you've seen, no matter how hard you try to be original.  Those unintentional influences seem plenty enough "inspiration" to me.

Katlyna wrote:

Hello, I'm back after a long break from second life.Before I left  I did some building but not in a big way and not on a commercial basis. I have a question about building something inspired in second life.

I am interested in building prefabs I find that I am inspired by a few prefabs in secondlife and I would like to do my own version of them something similar but not the same. Someday I would like to consider selling them. Of course there would be differences in the design and materials ie textures used. My question is, is it alright to do this or would it be considered a knock off  and if its a knock off is that really bad?  

thank you

As much as possible, I avoid ever going into jewellery stores, as being a jeweller I want my inspiration to come from outside of SL. I'd hate to even subconsciously be "inspired" by another SL artists work, despite admiring what a lot of my contemporaries create. If someone shows me some nice jewellery, I scrunch my eyes closed and say "lalalalala" in case I accidentally copy, even if the work is drop dead gorgeous. I don't think any of us can help being affected by rl visual influences, as hopefully as artists, we are involved in life and soak everything in..it's just that..here in the tiny SL microcosm, I'd hate to see everyone being "inspired" by other SL products. Because if that happened, the pool of genius would be rapidly self-feeding, and things would very soon turn exceedingly dull. We'd all be breathing each other's farts, so to speak.

In all honesty, I highly recommend you find yourself, and your own original style. You might legally get away with changing someone else's ideas by any percentage, but hell that's no way to do it..instead, bring fresh air, and your own good self into the arena..and I bet it'll be more profitable for you in the longer term.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.