The New Chalet Railway

The Moles are building the new Chalet railway currently which is really exciting. From what I can tell the railway line starts from the west side of the Hydrant region through the central part of the Chalet regions eastwards then it turns up north towards the Wild Thing region. Most of the line is under construction but the extension up north will continue in the days/weeks ahead. 

There are new underground tunnels (which floods at the moment), new rez zones dotted around, a new bridge and tons of Chalet homes being added. 

1798622568_NewCR.thumb.PNG.cebebc7c6ae418f60ced3c4f27eb72b4.PNG

View from SSPE2214 above of the new underground tunnel. This is really cool to see underground tunnels at last. 

SSPE1791_005.thumb.jpg.cff475ad02108d4802d3752e6ecc391f.jpg

It's best to bring some swim wear for underground swimming 😂

SSPE1791_003.thumb.jpg.ae1bbad31743e7eb24d795ddf440d23d.jpg

View of the new railway track line soon to be placed in Brady Stream. 

23904677_BradyStream_001.thumb.jpg.a93d1d4645bede61e06e04ff9ce94e38.jpg

View of SSPE2213

1112573533_BradyStream_006.thumb.jpg.c7e428bce3e989506f1e96f42be3be88.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 8

On 6/8/2021 at 3:55 AM, Daniel Voyager said:

The Moles are building the new Chalet railway currently which is really exciting. From what I can tell the railway line starts from the west side of the Hydrant region through the central part of the Chalet regions eastwards then it turns up north towards the Wild Thing region. Most of the line is under construction but the extension up north will continue in the days/weeks ahead. 

There are new underground tunnels (which floods at the moment), new rez zones dotted around, a new bridge and tons of Chalet homes being added. 

1798622568_NewCR.thumb.PNG.cebebc7c6ae418f60ced3c4f27eb72b4.PNG

View from SSPE2214 above of the new underground tunnel. This is really cool to see underground tunnels at last. 

SSPE1791_005.thumb.jpg.cff475ad02108d4802d3752e6ecc391f.jpg

It's best to bring some swim wear for underground swimming 😂

SSPE1791_003.thumb.jpg.ae1bbad31743e7eb24d795ddf440d23d.jpg

View of the new railway track line soon to be placed in Brady Stream. 

23904677_BradyStream_001.thumb.jpg.a93d1d4645bede61e06e04ff9ce94e38.jpg

View of SSPE2213

1112573533_BradyStream_006.thumb.jpg.c7e428bce3e989506f1e96f42be3be88.jpg

Those are cool tunnels! Look forward to trying this out.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been keeping track of the route, which follows the "Big River" through the Chalet regions. We now have station buildings, non-operational track (no guide prims yet) and two tunnels. Hydrant is at the SW end, and the line follow the "Big River" through to Lavon.

1240069173_LavonStation_001.jpg.75093bb4f192acf7930f1b4ddbea67ab.jpg

Lavon and Hydrant end in very similar style, and it seems very likely there will be new land for both.

After the tunnel south across the river, the next station comes at Artesian Spring.

770300476_ArtesianSpringStation_001.jpg.e02ce116a6f70c8683b977e4474ec101.jpg

There is a rez zone on the road which may be close enough to the rail to be useful.

Porcupine Creek has a road/water rezone similarly close to the rail.

1786957116_PorcupineCreekrezzonez_001.jpg.6cbd80dab00cf44b84173aea9d410f96.jpg

The last of the new stations is at Poplar Springs.

15887271_PoplarSpringsStation_001.jpg.f0f08bc62bd7a9744e9f9fae9a6fee70.jpg

The tunnels are similar to the original road tunnel in Seeoraksan, part of the Jeogeot continent, with the same awkwardness about the water level.

• Like 5

I've been pondering about tunnels in SL in general. We all know that if you build a tunnel that goes under the water layer, then inside the tunnel looks flooded. Sl has always been like this.

Now, i know nothing about Experiences in SL, but I was wondering if it was possible to use an Experience maybe to try and work round this issue.

Ctrl-Alt-Shift-7 is the shortcut that toggles water on and off (in FS anyway) so I was thinking would it possible to somehow link that command so that if you crossed a phantom barrier entering a tunnel, the water would be turned off so the tunnel would look normal, then when you come out the other side, cross another phantom barrier, and it turns back on again.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

I've been pondering about tunnels in SL in general. We all know that if you build a tunnel that goes under the water layer, then inside the tunnel looks flooded. Sl has always been like this.

Now, i know nothing about Experiences in SL, but I was wondering if it was possible to use an Experience maybe to try and work round this issue.

Ctrl-Alt-Shift-7 is the shortcut that toggles water on and off (in FS anyway) so I was thinking would it possible to somehow link that command so that if you crossed a phantom barrier entering a tunnel, the water would be turned off so the tunnel would look normal, then when you come out the other side, cross another phantom barrier, and it turns back on again.

And if you TP out of the tunnel instead of crossing the phantom barrier?

No idea, perhaps the Experience turns off when you tp out of sim (which is possibly how many of them work anyway?).

Anyway, as I said, it was just something I was wondering about - hoping someone with more knowledge about this sort of thing can tell me if it's possible or not.

ETA: Actually now that I think about it more, as switching water off can be done by a simple keyboard shortcut, as long as you a keyboard that has some programmable keys on it , then you can easily assign that shortcut combo to it, and just activate it whenever you want.. so probably no need to complicate things further with stuff like Experiences.

Edited by Eowyn Southmoor
added stuff

On 7/17/2021 at 4:39 AM, Eowyn Southmoor said:

Really interesting question, Eowyn.  And I think you have something there.  If you made an experience triggered when you enter the tunnel, then it could use llSetAgentEnvironment to  set water fog and blur while underwater, which I bet are what give you the underwater look.  I don't know if you'd have to use EEP to see the change, or maybe you'd have to have your viewer set to use region/parcel environment settings by default. The experience could be limited to that region (or maybe parcel?), which would probably mitigate the effect of TPing out that Matthew mentioned.  Presumably sailors and aeronauts going over the tunnel would not encounter the experience at all.

@Quartz Mole, @Dyna Mole, would this work?

• Like 3

888755200_Chaletrailwayv1.thumb.PNG.95ea77e79b3205f3af456fd8b83537c6.PNG

Chalet Railway Train Stations as of 21st July 2021

More train stations will be added in the weeks and months ahead. The blue dots are the new airstrips on the Chalet continent. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5