Does anyone have any tips on making friends in this game?

Andithasgone

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 992 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Groups, clubs, interest or destination search. It takes time but you can find a kindred spirit for most anything in SL. This means putting yourself out there a little but here is a suggestion: 1. Find a club that plays your flavor of music

2. Dance! This consists of clicking on a dance ball and letting go. your pixel person will wiggle like its 1999 freeing you to surf profiles.

3 find somebody who is close to your SL age and commiserate. Ask questions. share experiences.

4. Clubs generally have DJs and hostesses. Their job is to engage you. so in-between profile surfing and introducing yourself, make some public comments. Riff on the song being played, what you were doing when you first heard it, and that time you went backstage and snogged with a roadie from Aerosmith who you thought was Steven Tyler.

5. Comment on a riff that somebody else volunteered to share.

6. Rinse and repeat! after a while you will be a regular and you will recognize regulars and can invite them to your after party get together. Play some Mad Pea games.

Variations of this theme can also be leveraged at other get togethers, events and groups in SL

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Alma Palmira said:

Groups, clubs, interest or destination search. It takes time but you can find a kindred spirit for most anything in SL. This means putting yourself out there a little but here is a suggestion: 1. Find a club that plays your flavor of music

2. Dance! This consists of clicking on a dance ball and letting go. your pixel person will wiggle like its 1999 freeing you to surf profiles.

3 find somebody who is close to your SL age and commiserate. Ask questions. share experiences.

4. Clubs generally have DJs and hostesses. Their job is to engage you. so in-between profile surfing and introducing yourself, make some public comments. Riff on the song being played, what you were doing when you first heard it, and that time you went backstage and snogged with a roadie from Aerosmith who you thought was Steven Tyler.

5. Comment on a riff that somebody else volunteered to share.

6. Rinse and repeat! after a while you will be a regular and you will recognize regulars and can invite them to your after party get together. Play some Mad Pea games.

Variations of this theme can also be leveraged at other get togethers, events and groups in SL

I would strongly support this especially points 4,5 and 6.

The key points are;

• Go back to the same club(s) regularly, ideally at the same day/time each week, so you become a "regular" with the same set of people.
  • Be active in local chat before you start IMing people
  • Don't start too soon with offering friendship requests - leave that until you're already established as a regular.

Almost all my SL friends are on my friendslist from clubs I am or was a regular at.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2021 at 1:46 PM, Andithasgone said:

hi everyone

while i am friendly to people in this game -

I've made lots of acquaintances but I find it difficult to make any friends, with whom I'd love to throw a party sometime

I'm pretty shy though

any tips?

I was in same situ - and recently joined.  And have chatted with loads and loads and loads of people in loads and loads of random places.  But I don't yet really have any 'friends' as such.  But I have actually come to realise that just like in the real world, it takes time to develop actual friends.

But what I have done is go along to some classes/workshops.  Including even a naked yoga class(!), which was enjoyable, if not slightly awkward.  But as I'd never (probably?) do that in real life, I thought what the heck - and it was a lot of fun!  And the workshop leader was great.  (PS - Always tip the people doing this stuff, as it is their time and effort that make SL such a great place).

I have also joined loads of groups, and get notifications about things happening.  EG the other day I got notification of a 'Boat Parade'.  I went along just to see it.  (after all I don't have a useable boat).  But after just few minutes loads of people were chatting to me, and as they rezzed(?) their boats and sped off, a few of them noticed I hadn't got a boat, and invited me aboard one of theirs - and instantly I was part of this long boat parade of about 20 boats, which lasted a whole hour, and loads of chatting going on between everyone  - and I saw a lot of the ‘place’ I now live in SL, which I hadn't before.

Anyway from those kinds of sessions, I have certainly struck up a few ongoing regular conversations with one or two people now, multiple times.  Who knows, some of those may become friends over time.

Hope sharing my experience helps?

JB

• Like 4

I'm pretty shy too, and the only friends or something like friends I made here are or were through roleplay, a few but good ones I even got to know "for real".

I mean actual roleplay in a setting, with lore and rules, and everything, on dedicated regions.

IF that's something that could interest you, maybe try it, at the least it should be fun, and as the same people tend to go there often, you get to meet the same people and can spend the time that it takes to develop friendships with some if you get into a story.

In my experience, you somehow usually end up chatting in personal messages with several people when you find a place you enjoy, there may be some people who are there strictly for roleplay but many for the social aspects too.

There are many different genres, just type "roleplay fantasy" or "roleplay science fictions" or whatever in search and check out places.

Enjoy your time, in any case :)

• Like 2

On 6/8/2021 at 8:32 AM, Maitimo said:

I would strongly support this especially points 4,5 and 6.

The key points are;

• Go back to the same club(s) regularly, ideally at the same day/time each week, so you become a "regular" with the same set of people.
  • Be active in local chat before you start IMing people
  • Don't start too soon with offering friendship requests - leave that until you're already established as a regular.

Almost all my SL friends are on my friendslist from clubs I am or was a regular at.

YES!!

All of this... You have to find somewhere you feel comfortable, become a "regular" and then people will begin to chat with you and you'll make friends. Don't be "Johnny No Mates" and IM everyone in view asking for friendship, be patient, take your time...

Do NOT be that person who lands in the venue, stands in the doorway without talking then poofs 3 minutes later because no one spoke to you. Although I hesitate to use the word "game" - the part of Second Life that is "making friends" needs perserverance & some effort like levelling in any other game does.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lyndka Cochrane said:

YES!!

All of this... You have to find somewhere you feel comfortable, become a "regular" and then people will begin to chat with you and you'll make friends. Don't be "Johnny No Mates" and IM everyone in view asking for friendship, be patient, take your time...

Do NOT be that person who lands in the venue, stands in the doorway without talking then poofs 3 minutes later because no one spoke to you. Although I hesitate to use the word "game" - the part of Second Life that is "making friends" needs perserverance & some effort like levelling in any other game does.

Maybe that's it!

When someone says "How do I play this game?" you reply - "Well, to complete level 2 you need to attend the same club and participate in local chat on 5 separate occasions... "

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

There are lots of things people love to do in SL, and Sims dedicated to these interests. Find something you like, go to the places where people do that, and do it too. That way you will have a common interest with the people you meet there, rather than just meeting random people at a club.

16 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

And level one being: How do I get that box of my head?

Isn't that the end task for Level 1? The primary task of Level 1 is how to get rid of that blasted torch..... At least it was when I joined - carried that darned thing round for two weeks until someone explained "detach" 😁

• Haha 3

On 6/10/2021 at 4:08 PM, Lyndka Cochrane said:

Isn't that the end task for Level 1? The primary task of Level 1 is how to get rid of that blasted torch..... At least it was when I joined - carried that darned thing round for two weeks until someone explained "detach" 😁

That torch is long gone. Nowadays, it's a dog in a bag, and a knock-off i-pad.

• Haha 1

Well, as someone who has been active in Second Life since Oct.2017, I can say this - do some exploring.

Hunt through the destinations guide, get in some groups. As others mentioned, if you find places and venues which you like, become a regular there. Be active in local chat is always a good start. 

Just as in RL, being friendly with people is easy, but acquiring "friends" still takes time. 

Drop by our home and explore the half sim we have. Terminal City Social Club and Hangout. 

Terminal City Social Club.jpg

I think a lot of people have given great ideas here... but I echo the thoughts of a roleplay SIM, you meet people with similar interests as you... it makes making friends very easy. Another idea: if you are the creative type, start a business... any sort of business... you'd be surprised how quickly patrons become pals :) 

Groups I'm in several of them inworld that have active people but it all depends on the time of day or now its like most people are active on the evenings USA time or on the weekends. Anymore it just all depends on who I click with and see where it goes finding the right groups helps as well forums it just all depends on who you run into with similar interests and what not.

I don't really have advice other than be yourself, be kind and treat others like you would want to be treated.

I can be your friend if you would like! I've been looking for friends ever since I came back to SL aswell. :) If you're interested feel free to send me a friend request or message on SL to Yosho Sirnah.

Edited by Yosho Sirnah
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Yosho Sirnah said:

I don't really have advice other than be yourself, be kind and treat others like you would want to be treated.

I can be your friend if you would like! I've been looking for friends ever since I came back to SL aswell. :) If you're interested feel free to send me a friend request or message on SL to Yosho Sirnah.

best advice here be yourself

• Thanks 1

Yes being yourself is the best advice,

And I think don't expect SL friendships to be like RL ones, I have SL friends ...really good ones that I do not speak daily to, sometimes it's weeks because timezones and real life.

You can also look for a community that surrounds around certain things you love. Or maybe you speak another language than English in RL there are some nice community areas\groups for this too.

And go exploring, go out there and search for things that sound fun like "star trek" or just "beach" and then visit those sims, and often I meet many nice people while exploring, and have many nice chats! And some people even stick as regular people I talk to often or explore together with

( ◜‿◝ )♡

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2021 at 6:00 PM, Yosho Sirnah said:

Better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you aren't. 

On 6/7/2021 at 7:46 AM, Andithasgone said:

hi everyone

while i am friendly to people in this game -

I've made lots of acquaintances but I find it difficult to make any friends, with whom I'd love to throw a party sometime

I'm pretty shy though

any tips?

Shy is self centered fear that you aren't good enough. You are good enough, you deserve friends. They might be the ones you expect.

• Like 1

I own a community in SL, and we have quite a nice group of people who likes hanging out with eachother or do activities and events together.

If this is something that interests you or anyone , can always hit me up inworld :) 

This is pretty much what my family is about :) and yes, i do call them family.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 992 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.