"LG" short for ?store name? Help....

Marianne Little

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1037 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

I can never tell if it's foolishness, ego, or indifference that makes creators not make their ads include store names or locations or something to make them easy to find.

You and me both... and the creators always shorten the store name so it is just guesswork. If it had said LaGyo instead of LG, it would be possible to find.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

I can never tell if it's foolishness, ego, or indifference that makes creators not make their ads include store names or locations or something to make them easy to find.

That will drive me crazy  just about every time I go shopping..

I've said more times than I can count.. Well, if you really wanted me to buy it, youd'a put your name on it loud and clear.

hehehe

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

Or even include your landmark so we can visit your mainstore. My recent purchases from several stores refuse to add a landmark. I have to go into edit while wearing the product and click their name, and hope they have the store slurl in the 2nd life tab or in picks.

And way too many of them don't bother having the info there either.

I'm amazed at how hard some creators make it to actually buy their stuff.

1 hour ago, CandyJewels said:

I find stores that have a specific style either to what they sell, or how their ads look, can get away with abbreviating their name and you'll still know who they are.

The Little Bat for example. TLB.

I never heard about The Little Bat. After looking at the MP, it appears to have mostly old stuff. Shoppers today know what TLB stands for?

But searching with 3 letters is better than two. It actually works to search the Marketplace for TLB. I found the store easy.

Searching for LG, gave me hundreds of other hits, I was looking through three pages of 96 items and not one correct.

Lagyo on the other hand, returns the right store.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I never heard about The Little Bat. After looking at the MP, it appears to have mostly old stuff. Shoppers today know what TLB stands for?

But searching with 3 letters is better than two. It actually works to search the Marketplace for TLB. I found the store easy.

Searching for LG, gave me hundreds of other hits, I was looking through three pages of 96 items and not one correct.

Lagyo on the other hand, returns the right store.

The Little Bat was pretty big when I started SL some 6 or so years ago? I still see them pop up from time to time in side events, but not nearly as often(kind of rare actually). TLB was just one that has always stood out to me more than anything else.

I think these days people associate TLB with "The Little Branch". Rightfully so, they are still active.

3 hours ago, CandyJewels said:

I find stores that have a specific style either to what they sell, or how their ads look, can get away with abbreviating their name and you'll still know who they are.

The Little Bat for example. TLB.

Except they can't really, unless i am familiar with the store abbreviating something to TLB, FD, LG, CHS etc. a distinct style or even just putting a logo that doesn't give any indication of the store name is not helpful

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

Except they can't really, unless i am familiar with the store abbreviating something to TLB, FD, LG, CHS etc. a distinct style or even just putting a logo that doesn't give any indication of the store name is not helpful

Fair. We're all different. I suppose it works that way for me, but not for everyone. I've had some years of being able to recognize artists by their art styles so maybe it just clicks that way for me.

Very few of the people marketing products in SL are professionals. They are certainly not marketing knowledgeable. Most have enough of a challenge just making their stuff.

So don't be shy about sending them a link to this thread. Hopefully they will learn something.

Including a link to the in-world store, the marketplace store, and an image of the product in the package they sell would seem to be a basic and obvious step. But from this thread it is obvious that isn't so for a number of merchants. They need help. Help.

If you think that 'LG' and 'TLB' are bad, try the menswear store that's a single letter with two bits of punctuation each side of it. They sell really nice stuff and are at some of the big menswear events, but if I ever blog anything by them I have to ensure that my credits feature the creator's name as well, as in [name] for [store], just so they can be found in search.

2 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Bless that certain male weekend shopping event where tons of stores can't even be bothered with some kind of logo.

They want you to join their group to get the LM notecard. I did that with an alt, but then I forget to log in each week on the alt to look at the notecard. And - given that most weeks when I've checked the gallery there isn't much in there to entice me - I stopped checking it. I should also leave the group on the alt, so thanks for the reminder!

Edited by Skell Dagger

25 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

LM notecard? Slow-*** teleport HUD, last time I checked, where you can't even select specific stores. 🙄

I don't bother with the HUD anymore. Most of those shopping HUDs are too small for my aging eyes.

8 hours ago, xBaeBeex said:

Good topic. Theres also another one on the kawaii sale that is literally curved brackets and * symbols.. with two O.. its impossible for me to do a search 

Oh, I know which one you mean. I wanted their eyes the past week and had to jump through so many hoops just to find them. It's ridiculous.

• Like 1

I believe the Happy Weekend event has no information under the Flickr image, because they will force people over to Facebook and look at the gallery there. And that is fine for me. The Facebook gallery work well, but it is only for that one weekend.

When I have been off SL a couple weekends, I can not access older information on the Facebook page for the event. Maybe it is a way to do it if you are on FB, but I do not join Facebook for that!

BUT nothing stops the creator from including the store name in the image they submit to the event, and write it in full, searchable words. I would not need to ask for help then, if the creator did not think it was cool to just use 2 letters. I understand you like the minimal aesthetic, but you could use the same font and write LaGyo instead of LG.

Edited by Marianne Little

6 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

The Facebook gallery work well, but it is only for that one weekend.

When I have been off SL a couple weekends, I can not access older information on the Facebook page for the event. Maybe it is a way to do it if you are on FB, but I do not join Facebook for that!

To see the previous weekend albums in Facebook, do the following:

Go to the primary 'photos' page:  https://www.facebook.com/Access.SecondLife/photos/ --- this is the page that I keep bookmarked for the weekend event.  

In the Albums section, click "See All" on the far right:
image.png.244b31e3d3769122e8db513e0e3a661f.png

That will then show all of the Albums. Just scroll through until you find the one for the weekend that you want.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1037 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.