Relationships & Emoting

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 75 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all,

I have noticed a terrible pattern with all my SL relationships and it deals with emoting . . . I can't do it well or why I try its never as artistic or descriptive as the other person.  Then after a while they just push me to the side and find I guess a person who can do it better.  I end up alone constantly.  I have noticed there are no classes at all for this and RP is the only thing I see.  Im so bad I am afraid to RP . . . Maybe I am missing something in regards to this.  Im just tired of ending up alone.  Any advice on how to improve at all?  Any beginner spaces?  I am at a loss.

• Like 1

for many people the things you mention are two different things;  RP and relationship

There is no class for relationships and express your feelings, canned senteces will get you put aside even faster, because it's not genuine or so fake that it's obvious not you.
My personal "like" is often... don't talk to much.. let the phantasy do it's job. Imagine you talk constantly during rl "praticing" :) ... your partner will turn around fast and fall asleep, or move to the couch (alone) :)

If partners can't set aside your way of emoting it's perhaps not the one that feels the same about your relationship as you do.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

RP and relationships are two complete different things !

If you try to mix them you must fail.

RP is showtime ... you can act like you want to be. If it fit´s in the RP you are in, depends on the RP theme and the paticipating people.

Relationships should be you. Your real you. It may need some time, but if you constant talk to new people at different occasions, you´ll find someday someone who is in your league.

The bond will tie on it´s own then. There is no need to act in a special way for this. This is the good news.

The bad news is ... sometimes it takes time. So don´t give up ... take your time and go on. You´ll suceed. It´s only a matter of time.

Do you have a club or a venue you like ? Go there and become a regular. This way it´s almost impossible, not to make new friends.

Edited by Sandrine Vanbeeck
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Sugah Pancake said:

Hello all,

I have noticed a terrible pattern with all my SL relationships and it deals with emoting . . . I can't do it well or why I try its never as artistic or descriptive as the other person.  Then after a while they just push me to the side and find I guess a person who can do it better.  I end up alone constantly.  I have noticed there are no classes at all for this and RP is the only thing I see.  Im so bad I am afraid to RP . . . Maybe I am missing something in regards to this.  Im just tired of ending up alone.  Any advice on how to improve at all?  Any beginner spaces?  I am at a loss.

Sugah, I want to help but I need a little clarity 🙂

I used to teach a mini-class on “roleplay posting” (general dialogue for literary, free form Roleplay). I also had a lot of demand ((more than for “fight” posting))  for “how do I communicate intimate (erotic) stuff and make it sound good?” ((Surprising no one, a lot of eroticism takes place in roleplay sims)).

Feel free to DM me here on the forums or IM me in SL ((Amanda Crisp)) and I will help however I can.

I am on vacation next week, but I will be able to see the forums and maybe Sl via Speedlight.

I am not *the* expert on the topic, but I do feel your pain!

image.gif

• Like 3

/me takes Sugah softly by the hand walking over to the couch and gently sits on the edge. Tapping the seat next to her for Sugah to sit down next to me while gazing tenderly into her eyes. I smile as you sit down. “It’s ok hun it takes a little practice and a few descriptive words and you’ll be fine.” Leaning forward wrapping my arms around you in a soft embrace and smiles :)

Edited by Danielle Atheria
  • Like 3

you have a memory of how it feels to do the things you do in vr. describe how it feels, ***** if need or desired to get the feeling, the trick is to use words to make them feel what you feel. if you feel nothing then your words will convey that. let your imagination flow and describe your fantasies as if to a blind man/woman.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

You need to communicate this with anyone you get involved with.  I used to emote all the time in roleplay for a few years.  I don’t emote at all now.  

Edited by ballparkdogg
Add word
  • Like 1

I had a relationship with a guy once, we hardly ever emoted. We would park our avis on the poseball, then talk about all sorts of thing, plus we would get involved in group chats dropping subtle hints about what our avis were doing. It was great fun, and fely way more intimate than any emoting experience.

There miiiiiiiight be a guy for this gal (if he keeps playing his cards right) and we do a large mix of emoting (semi-rp-ish?) and just chattering and enjoying each other's weirdness. That all being said.... 

Like Amanda stated, there are those of us who would be more than happy to help you "learn" your style of emoting/ RP.... If you would like, I'd also be happy to help.... We could just go to dance club or something, so you can see things in real time.... Or anywhere, really. Point is, people can and will help if that's what you want ♥️

Hi, i m RPing (or if you want you can call it emoting) in Sl for many years. I know its not popular to say this, but the bst way to learn how to write emotions well and in a beautiful way is... to read books. Sure you can take classes in emoting, but its very likely you ll end up just writing the same lines again and again. By simply reading you ll get to know differant styles of how emothions can be shown in text.

• Like 3

On 7/6/2021 at 12:32 PM, Kokoro Swansong said:

I know its not popular to say this, but the bst way to learn how to write emotions well and in a beautiful way is... to read books.

It's not? o.o All my best RP partners (with one notable dyslexic exception, whom I love very much) had variations of the same line after I've spent some time gushing about their writing:

"Oh yeah... I read A LOT".

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2021 at 7:11 AM, Littoralis said:

It's not? o.o All my best RP partners (with one notable dyslexic exception, whom I love very much) had variations of the same line after I've spent some time gushing about their writing:

"Oh yeah... I read A LOT".

To me, the best way to learn is to practice, and to observe how other people make their emotes. Not to copy someone completely, but to get a general idea of the structure, how many actions or adjectives you can cram in there without it becoming a confusing mess or just some empty description of something obvious. Being well read doesnt hurt.

That was for emoting, RPing is subject to a TON of other RP specific rules that, even when people say they know how to RP, they dont. Like using your characters voice instead of your own, diegetic and non-diegetic text, god modeing and knowing how to keep all that in mind without taking too long and boring the people you are RPing with.

Hi, @Sugah Pancake!

Emoting isn't hard, but it does take some practice.

Basics:

• A forward slash followed by "me" begins an emote: /me.  Some third party viewers allow you to substitute a colon for /me, which will save a lot of keystrokes over time.
  • When you type an emote, put yourself in the third person, like this: "/me picks up her coffee cup and takes a sip." This comes out in chat as "Lindal Kidd picks up her coffee cup and takes a sip." If you forget and use first person, it looks wrong: "Lindal Kidd pick up my coffee cup and take a sip".
  • Alternate emotes with chat lines. This isn't a hard and fast rule; do what's natural in the moment. But your chat comes out more realistic and descriptive if you can mix it up. For example:
    • Lindal Kidd: Hi, Sugah! How do you like my new dress?
    • Lindal Kidd grins and does a quick twirl
    • Sugah Pancake: Oh, I love it! Where did you get it?
    • Lindal Kidd: It was on sale at Bluberry. Come on, we'll go see if they have it in your color!
    • Lindal Kidd grabs your hand and tugs you along
    • (Teleport to Bluberry and send you a teleport offer)
  • If you must combine some "spoken' text and an emote, you can put the speech in quotation marks.  Example: Lindal Kidd runs to the sale display. "Over here, Sugah!"
  • Emotes are used to enhance your communication. They're a way to convey emotions and actions that you might not have a gesture or a facial expression handy for. You can even allude to objects that aren't present, because you don't happen to have one handy. "Lindal Kidd raps your fingers coyly with her fan as you reach for the chocolates". That would work best if I actually had a fan, but even if I don't, it's descriptive of my intent: to keep you from grabbing the last chocolate; but more importantly, to establish who's the boss in this situation.
  • Anyone who bases a relationship solely on another person's skill at emoting probably isn't worth moping over anyway.
Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 6

On 6/5/2021 at 11:50 PM, Sugah Pancake said:

Hello all,

Wish I had seen this sooner.

What would you say if I told you that taking RP beginner classes will teach you how to emote? Guess what? It works! Why? Because roleplay is the best way to learn how to emote. You can usually find class schedules at the LPs of RP sims/regions that offer them. There used to be a few individuals that taught classes, who weren't a part of a particular RP but would come in and teach classes. So if you do a little looking around, you'll find something that suits. Beginner classes should cover emoting. If they don't  (which would really be weird), look for another one that does.

The one thing that works the best though is practice. Notepad is good for that. It's also good for typing up your emotes before pasting them into chat so you can proofread it. You might be surprised at how many people use Notepad or notecards or some other thing during RP.

Other than that, try to relax and let your imagination take over.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 7:50 AM, Sugah Pancake said:

I have noticed a terrible pattern with all my SL relationships and it deals with emoting . . . I can't do it well or why I try its never as artistic or descriptive as the other person.

Never spend time with anyone who makes you feel inadequate, especially in SL. Roleplaying is done to relax and unwind, so if you're feeling pressured to write faster, or better, it's time to move forwards.

Once you've understood the basics of emoting, branch out across roleplaying sims, urban, fantasy, supernatural, sci-fi... even if it isn't your genre, make a character and try it. A common mistake people make is becoming attached to a single genre to the point of missing the other communities out there, along with the opportunities and friends they could have made. My only regret from when I roleplayed were the sims I didn't try and the amazing dramas I missed.

Avatars do not necessarily need to be 'hot', but they do need to be distinctive. An interesting avatar will invite people to roleplay with you.

Personally I've roleplayed with all sorts of avatars, at all levels of emoting and the trait that really stands out is, attitude. When you encounter someone who's attitude works well with your character's, you just understand one another. That's when you'll be inspired to write better.

Practically everyone in this game has been through a harrowing SL relationship, so don't expect it to just happen. Maybe it will, or won't, just don't make it a necessity.

Edited by Mr Amore
  • Like 2

On 6/6/2021 at 2:50 AM, Sugah Pancake said:

Hello all,

Awwww ❤️ You know what? Every person I ever attempted a relationship with was the opposite. They were not good with emoting, nor keeping up with me. Which made interaction rather difficult because when someone is being very verbose (*coughs* me) and the other brief (erryone else), it feels like you're speaking two different languages. So I always ended up alone as well.

I don't really have any tips for you. Simply put, I tried to do what you're doing, only the opposite. I tried to reduce my emotes and do one-liners and whatnot else. It doesn't work. It feels unnatural at that point because you aren't being yourself. So my advice is just find someone who does things the same way you do (make it a dating expectation, same as someone having a job or a car in rl), switch to voice and forgo all the emoting, or see if they even care if you are not able to do semi-para or para emoting.

I simply stopped dating lol. I never met the right kind of person for me and even had a few leave me because I made them feel inadequate or something. However, I do hope you eventually counter your match. Best of luck and don't be lonely. Focus more on yourself and things you enjoy doing solo, then if you meet someone it is a bonus, rather than a disappointment if you don't.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 75 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.