Names for Different Home Areas?

Rufferta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1014 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Nika has come up with a few nicknames for various areas, one of which was referring to the original Victorian area as Belli South and sometimes Vickiland. I can't recall any of the others at the moment.

The only nicknames that LL used, to the best of my memory, were the Pickle and the Squishy Pickle.

The Pickle is the island outlined in red in the below picture.  Apparently LL called it the Pickle because they had heard someone say the original Bellisseria continent - what is shown in the picture -- looked like a dragon sitting in a boot eating a pickle.

image.png.11b32a039e07864756874951b8d87f0b.png

After the initial release, when the Houseboats sold out so fast, LL wanted to get lots more Houseboats out as quickly as they could.  Someone suggested taking the pickle layout, gutting it and turning it into a bunch of sandbars for Houseboats -- and from that the Squishy Pickle name was born:

image.png.b13c7d38c50e45ea4c518ec3a1b55022.png

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rufferta said:

I've heard many references to "Logland" - the log home area, but are there also names for the other types of homes like Stilthouses, Modern, Victorian, Campers, Houseboats, Chalets?

I was thinking the same thing the other day. I just refer to the Stilt areas as Stilt land, log areas as Logland. Sounds kind of boring though.  In the beginning when there was just the land mass containing the Traditionals it wasn't an issue, but we have so many separate land areas now, tradiitonal area, victorian, multiple pickles, stilts, chatlet one etc. I think it would be quite nice, and fun, to have some kind of consensus for names for the distinct areas.

What I would like to see even more, is names of continents and areas such as we are discussing officially written on the map. I've been in SL for years and still don't know which continent is called what! LOL

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

I was thinking the same thing the other day. I just refer to the Stilt areas as Stilt land, log areas as Logland. Sounds kind of boring though.  In the beginning when there was just the land mass containing the Traditionals it wasn't an issue, but we have so many separate land areas now, tradiitonal area, victorian, multiple pickles, stilts, chatlet one etc. I think it would be quite nice, and fun, to have some kind of consensus for names for the distinct areas.

What I would like to see even more, is names of continents and areas such as we are discussing officially written on the map. I've been in SL for years and still don't know which continent is called what! LOL

Most people that travel will have come across map boards that give out textures of continental maps in various places. This is the most famous by Carl Metropolitan.

image.jpeg.13b83cab028d5fa72cd6bfadf2adec30.jpeg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Nika has come up with a few nicknames for various areas, one of which was referring to the original Victorian area as Belli South and sometimes Vickiland. I can't recall any of the others at the moment.

The only nicknames that LL used, to the best of my memory, were the Pickle and the Squishy Pickle.

The Pickle is the island outlined in red in the below picture.  Apparently LL called it the Pickle because they had heard someone say the original Bellisseria continent - what is shown in the picture -- looked like a dragon sitting in a boot eating a pickle.

image.png.11b32a039e07864756874951b8d87f0b.png

After the initial release, when the Houseboats sold out so fast, LL wanted to get lots more Houseboats out as quickly as they could.  Someone suggested taking the pickle layout, gutting it and turning it into a bunch of sandbars for Houseboats -- and from that the Squishy Pickle name was born:

image.png.b13c7d38c50e45ea4c518ec3a1b55022.png

I have no insight into the why or how the names were chosen, and they were clearly made from the same multi-region template, but I'm positive the "Squishy Pickle" houseboat area existed before the "Pickle" traditional island.  My first new premium home was a houseboat in the middle of "Squishy" that was released in May of 2019.  My second was a trad on Willow Heights, from which I was able to see the "Pickle" get added to my open water view in August 2019.  

Here's a blog post from @Daniel Voyager that talks about it, where he refers to "Pickle" and "Squishy Pickle II."  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthieu Quander said:

I have no insight into the why or how the names were chosen, and they were clearly made from the same multi-region template, but I'm positive the "Squishy Pickle" houseboat area existed before the "Pickle" traditional island.  My first new premium home was a houseboat in the middle of "Squishy" that was released in May of 2019.  My second was a trad on Willow Heights, from which I was able to see the "Pickle" get added to my open water view in August 2019.  

Here's a blog post from @Daniel Voyager that talks about it, where he refers to "Pickle" and "Squishy Pickle II."  

When Bellisseria was first created the original build was still in the SSP area. The pickle was evident there as part of the layout to come and the squishy pickle was made from that and was placed to the south west of the SSP landmass. I remember laughing when Patch threw us a curve ball with the squishy pickle actually being placed to the top right of the actual continent as it was then. The rest of the pickle build was eventually copied across afterwards as the continent then grew to the limit of the SSP layout.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Matthieu Quander said:

Daniel's version of the names is not correct, though my description is a tad off regarding the gutting and squishing.

Here is the story, straight from Abnor's mouth typing hands:

Though you are correct in that the Squishy Pickle was available for living in before the actual Pickle, but the Pickle shape was available up in the original SSP area from the very beginning, long before the Squishy Pickle came about.  Page 4 of the SSP thread still has one of the earliest pictures showing the Pickle.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've alternately used "Bellisseria East" for Logland, as it was the eastern edge of Bellisseria for a long time (and it contains Victorians and some stilts now, so Logland isn't quite accurate).  I call the lower part of Bellisseria (the Victorians south of the east/west river) "Bellisseria South." I call the stilt islands "Bellisseria Islands", and the Chalet area "Northern Bellisseria."

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the slight necro, I just noticed this thread, which showed up while I was on vacation.

I've nicknamed most of Bellisseria for my own entertainment, and sometimes have used these names in posts.  In case anyone is interested, below are maps labeled with my nicknames.

Disclaimer: I have NEVER heard a mole or Linden use any of my nicknames.  In no way are they official!!!  I just use them because they remind me of what type of homes are where. E.g., "Bellevaria" is a play on "Bavaria", which the chalets remind me of.

1120656423_NickNorthdone.thumb.JPG.106e3b83fa723d61d0f393edde27c260.JPG

93337814_Nickmiddone2.thumb.JPG.65f6680ae248ef1a0c5501aa0ded3518.JPG

967898261_Nicksouthdone.JPG.ae8493b3db234336ea37dca8a0aa4771.JPG

I noticed something about these pics while making them -- none of the isolated islands surrounding Belli show as "Loading ...".  So, although the Fantasy theme may be deployed in the next couple of months or so, LL is not moving islands out of the way to accommodate it.  The vast empty area in the below pic is the only unencumbered space around Belli at the moment.  I really hope a place for the fantasy theme can be found there, reachable by water, perhaps surrounded by mists.

1826901736_Nickvastemptysmall.JPG.d2d34ba2ada7ecd34d07874f33542060.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2021 at 2:51 PM, Nika Talaj said:

Sorry for the slight necro, I just noticed this thread, which showed up while I was on vacation.

I've nicknamed most of Bellisseria for my own entertainment, and sometimes have used these names in posts.  In case anyone is interested, below are maps labeled with my nicknames.

Disclaimer: I have NEVER heard a mole or Linden use any of my nicknames.  In no way are they official!!!  I just use them because they remind me of what type of homes are where. E.g., "Bellevaria" is a play on "Bavaria", which the chalets remind me of.

I noticed something about these pics while making them -- none of the isolated islands surrounding Belli show as "Loading ...".  So, although the Fantasy theme may be deployed in the next couple of months or so, LL is not moving islands out of the way to accommodate it.  The vast empty area in the below pic is the only unencumbered space around Belli at the moment.  I really hope a place for the fantasy theme can be found there, reachable by water, perhaps surrounded by mists.

surprised-young-sexy-woman-open-mouth-wow-girl-comic-advertising-poster-pop-art-smart-phone-omg-109182756.jpg.21d57ef0dd3a8f5d4c1ed0e94266be80.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 5:51 PM, Nika Talaj said:

Thank you so much for your great maps and designations!  I downloaded them and have them playing in rota on my desktop.  :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1014 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.