The map location of brand new Linden Home drops me in open water??

JordonBanks

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1041 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I decided to take the plunge - and try out being a Premium member.

So after upgrading, I excitedly selected my New Linden Home. But the location/map/teleport link I have been given By Linden Homes to get to it, literally drops me in the ocean/underwater?  That wasn't quite the 'plunge' I was hoping for when I upgraded!!  And definiteley not a very warm welcome for myself as a new homeowner (or for my friends/visitors to it!).

I have raised a ticket, as the live chat was closed (even though I accessed it well within the promote opening times on the Linden support page.  which provided an additional frustration, and let down as a new premium member).

But while waiting for the ticket reposne, anyone know why my offical map location provided for my new Linden Home drops me in water near to my home - but not at actually at or in my home?

243d1542a788bc9eae9ff7d47392de89.jpg

Edited by JordonBanks
typo

1 minute ago, JordonBanks said:

I decided to take the plunge - and try out being a Premium member.

So after upgrading, I excitedly selected my New Linden Home. But the location/map/teleport link I have been given By Linden Homes to get to it, literally drops me in the ocean/underwater?  That wasn't quite the 'plunge' I was hoping for when I upgraded!!  And definiteley not a very warm welcome for myself as a new homeowner (or for my friends/visitors to it!).

I have raised a ticket, as the live chat was closed (even though I tried it well within the promote opening times on the Linden support page.  whih provided an additional frustration)

But while waiting for a ticket reposne, anyone know why my offical map location provided for my new Linden Home drops me in water near to my home - but not at actually at or in my home?

243d1542a788bc9eae9ff7d47392de89.jpg

it's because you picked up a houseboat.  Houseboats are awesome and congratz on landing one.  Fly up and you will see your new home.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Evangeline Ling said:

it's because you picked up a houseboat.  Houseboats are awesome and congratz on landing one.  Fly up and you will see your new home.

Thanks.  So just to clarify - everyone (friends/visitors) I give my houseboats map location to, will have to fly up out of the water to visit me in my new house?  Is this the same for everyone with a houseboat.  The door into it though is off a jetty/beach.  Still don't get why they couldnt provide a map location link to the actual entrance to the houseboat, rather than landing me in the open water behind it?  That's crazy. 🙂

(also when you say congratz - are these hard to get then?  It was just there when I joined and went to the house selection page - along with lots of other house types).

Seen same issue with stilt homes too. In fact most of the default landing points from the home page are sub-optimal.

If you do a "Set home to here" you won't have to use the web account page to go to your home. Also, just Landmark your front door (or your preferred entry point) and give that out to friends. You can also set a default landing point on the ""Options" part of "About Land" dialog.

• Thanks 1

I think it's because when you TP anywhere using the map, you (normally) drop at ground level. For houseboats and stilts, that would be...under water. 

Just make a LM inside the boat and/or set the landing point in the About Land box, and you are good to go. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, JordonBanks said:

So just to clarify - everyone (friends/visitors) I give my houseboats map location to, will have to fly up out of the water to visit me in my new house? 

As Sylvia said, just create a new landmark to give people - one just outside your door or on the pier next to the houseboat - or set the landing point to just outside your door..  You can also pull up the map, while you are standing in one of those locations and have the map give you a SLURL to send to people.

And yes, the Houseboats are hard to get.  They do not get abandoned very often and thus usually only available when new ones are built and released.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I think it's because when you TP anywhere using the map, you (normally) drop at ground level. For houseboats and stilts, that would be...under water. 

Just make a LM inside the boat and/or set the landing point in the About Land box, and you are good to go. 

But it's the official 'Visit your brand new Linden Home' link that Linden provided me when I acquired it.  You'd think they'd make that link more accurate to make sure 'new customers' didn't get 'trapped under their houses', or 'left drowning;.  Oh well, clearly they couldnt be bothered by that important aspect of the detail of their new customers exprience.

If I ever invite anyone to a party at my place, I'll make sure to tell them they need to bring a swimming costume, and not to have anything they don't want to get wet in their pockets!!

Edited by JordonBanks
typo

The teleport co-ordinates that the map gives when obtaining a Linden Home only state the X and Y part, the Z (altitude) seems to default to 0 or 2. If you have a land house this isn't a problem as it will put you on the ground level, although depending on the house that is already selected on the parcel I have ended up under the staircase on a few occasions. With water houses, the ground level is of course under the water, so that is where you'll end up. If you use the world map instead of the website link and copy the co-ordinates onto that and input the Z co-ordinate as 22 you should end up inside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, JordonBanks said:

But it's the official 'Visit your brand new Linden Home' link that Linden provided me when I acquired it.  You'd think they'd make that link more accurate to make sure 'new customers' didn't get 'trapped under their houses', or 'left drowning;.  Oh well, clearly they couldnt be bothered by that important aspect of the detail of their new customers exprience.

If I ever invite anyone to a party at my place, I'll make sure to tell them they need to bring a swimming costume, and not to have anything they don't want to get wet in their pockets!!

Or you can just make a landmark inside the houseboat, as suggested. :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JordonBanks said:

To make that even more fun, I suggest giving them a SLURL that is about 10-15m above the water so that they can also experience the drop.

:SwingingFriends:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

To make that even more fun, I suggest giving them a SLURL that is about 10-15m above the water so that they can also experience the drop.

:SwingingFriends:

Or I might just buy one of those big massive outdoor pool inflatables - so they can bounce their way into my living room. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JordonBanks said:

I believe what happens is when you get a linden home the original landing zone is dead center on the land parcel that contains your home... for some home themes that may be inside the house other themes outside the house... and in the case of Houseboat in the drink....  As people have already said you have total control over creating a new landing zone in your house or creating new landmarks to give to your friends.  But celebrate that you got a houseboat.  They are the hardest to come by homes these days and you got one.  Enjoy it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Or you can just make a landmark inside the houseboat, as suggested. :) 

Ha - yes thanks.  I have now.  And have come to terms with the initial shock of being dunked under water, like some kind of weird Linden Christening/Baptism ritual for new home owners.

Anyway....I'm now in, I've changed the 'model' of the boat, and now wondering how on earth I furnish and decorate this place with a limit of 350 Land Impact (points)?

But do have some more questions, if you or anyone know the answers at all 🙂

• Is there a way to see the perimeter of my house/land I can use as mine?

• Is there a way to change the name of my houseboat - i gave it a ridiculous name in the exciteme of choosing it?   (and also can i change the silly picture.icon that shows up on the map / location info  - currently of an Japanase Anime character.  Wonder if this is a default, or if i can change it?)

• Am I allowed to have parties on my houseboat?  (eg a houeboat warming) If so - is there a limit to numbers?    (and if so how do i stop people crashing any paries on my houseboat?)

• And am I allowed to play music on my houeboat (and if so can others hear it nearby?  I don't want to be the noisy neighbour!)

• Can I allow other people to stay or live with me? (friends I mean?)

• Do i have to accept that others may just enter my houseboat when i am not there - and use it - and thats just the way it is?

• Anyone know if I can buy and moor an actual boat at my houeboat - and if so, any ideas where I could buy one?

• Whenever I am in my houseboat - does that mean I am invisible to people outside of it?

If anyone knows the answers - or can link me to where they exisit, that would be great.

12 minutes ago, Evangeline Ling said:

I believe what happens is when you get a linden home the original landing zone is dead center on the land parcel that contains your home... for some home themes that may be inside the house other themes outside the house... and in the case of Houseboat in the drink....  As people have already said you have total control over creating a new landing zone in your house or creating new landmarks to give to your friends.  But celebrate that you got a houseboat.  They are the hardest to come by homes these days and you got one.  Enjoy it!

I will do - thanks.  I do love it actually.  I just set environment to sunset - stood on the 'balcony' and looked out to the setting sun over the water - and it blew my socks off.  🙂  (I needed a long cool drink in my hand to finish it off).  Thanks again

Edited by JordonBanks
typo
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, JordonBanks said:

Ha - yes thanks.  I have now.  And have come to terms with the initial shock of being dunked under water, like some kind of weird Linden Christening/Baptism ritual for new home owners.

Anyway....I'm now in, I've changed the 'model' of the boat, and now wondering how on earth I furnish and decorate this place with a limit of 350 Land Impact (points)?

• Is there a way to see the perimeter of my house/land I can use as mine? Click on the Land box at the top of your viewer. To make the borders go up high so they are easier to see on a water parcel, go to Avatar - Preferences - Firestorm  and choose the Build 2 tab. Check the box next to "Show boundary up to maximum build height". (This assumes you use the Firestorm viewer.)

• Is there a way to change the name of my houseboat - i gave it a ridiculous name in the exciteme of choosing it?   (and also can i change the silly picture.icon that shows up on the map / location info  - currently of an Japanase Anime character.  Wonder if this is a default, or if i can change it?) Click on the Land box at the top of the viewer and you can rename the parcel as often as you like. You can change the photo on the Options tab of the Land box. 

• Am I allowed to have parties on my houseboat?  (eg a houeboat warming) If so - is there a limit to numbers?    (and if so how do i stop people crashing any paries on my houseboat?) Yes, but please consider your neighbors and don't go wild with number of avatars, particles, anything that might cause lag. The regions only hold 44 (I think; that's off the top of my head) avatars, so please keep in mind that your neighbors will want to use the region as well. 

• And am I allowed to play music on my houeboat (and if so can others hear it nearby?  I don't want to be the noisy neighbour!) Yes, and the most polite thing to do is use that Land box, go to the Sound tab, and check the box next to "Restrict gesture and object sounds to this parcel". 

• Can I allow other people to stay or live with me? (friends I mean?) Yes. 

• Do i have to accept that others may just enter my houseboat when i am not there - and use it - and thats just the way it is? No. Use the security orb that come in the content pack you can get from clicking the life preserver outside your houseboat. 

• Anyone know if I can buy and moor an actual boat at my houeboat - and if so, any ideas where I could buy one? Yes, subject to keeping within your parcel borders. I like Bandit for boats. 

• Whenever I am in my houseboat - does that mean I am invisible to people outside of it? You are if you go to the Land box, go to the Options tab, and UNcheck "Avatars on other parcels can see and chat with avatars on this parcel". 

If anyone knows the answers - or can link me to where they exisit, that would be great.

(Expand the quoted text to see reply)  ^^

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

(Expand the quoted text to see reply)  ^^

oh - and by the way, from what you said about Bandit boats - i went and looked - tested one - and guess what - i am now also the proud owner of a powerboat (and the impact on my land is quite small too).  Thanks for the 'Bandit' tip off.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, JordonBanks said:

oh - and by the way, from what you said about Bandit boats - i went and looked - tested one - and guess what - i am now also the proud owner of a powerboat (and the impact on my land is quite small too).  Thanks for the 'Bandit' tip off.

Awesome! I have several from there and really like them. Glad you had a successful shopping trip. :) 

• Like 1

• Moles

Hello JordonBanks! Welcome to Bellisseria. 😃 All of the above suggestions should help you out quite well. I'd like to add to those that you can always set the landing point on your parcel to where you'd like:

Setting a landing point

1. Stand on the location on your parcel where you want to make a landing point and choose World > About Land.
  2. Click the OPTIONS tab on the ABOUT LAND window.
  3. Select Landing Point from the dropdown menu under Teleport Routing.
  4. Press the Set button.

I would also suggest to have a scan over the Linden Home Knowledgebase Article, as it might provide you some answers too. For example if in the future you would like to move to a different location or Linden Home theme: 

Hopefully this helps you. 

Edited by Dion Mole
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

On 6/4/2021 at 7:19 PM, JordonBanks said:

• Is there a way to see the perimeter of my house/land I can use as mine?

• Is there a way to change the name of my houseboat - i gave it a ridiculous name in the exciteme of choosing it?   (and also can i change the silly picture.icon that shows up on the map / location info  - currently of an Japanase Anime character.  Wonder if this is a default, or if i can change it?)

• Am I allowed to have parties on my houseboat?  (eg a houeboat warming) If so - is there a limit to numbers?    (and if so how do i stop people crashing any paries on my houseboat?)

• And am I allowed to play music on my houeboat (and if so can others hear it nearby?  I don't want to be the noisy neighbour!)

• Can I allow other people to stay or live with me? (friends I mean?)

• Do i have to accept that others may just enter my houseboat when i am not there - and use it - and thats just the way it is?

• Anyone know if I can buy and moor an actual boat at my houeboat - and if so, any ideas where I could buy one?

• Whenever I am in my houseboat - does that mean I am invisible to people outside of it?

Some of this is covered in the covenant for your home. You can find that in your world - about land  tab. Super glad to see folks took the time to answer your questions but don't forget to check the covenant too. That will help you learn quite a bit about rules the Lindens have for their premium homes. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1041 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.