I Need a Cabin Recommendation

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 989 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How can it be that I, with 17 years of inventory and literally hundreds of cabins, need a cabin recommendation?

It can be.

Because it is very frustrating, over and over, trying to find a cabin for a 1024 let alone a 512 that doesn't hog prims or become an avatar trap.

So before you answer, let me tell you what I have and DO NOT want.

o Not the Alpine cabin which is sweet and looks good in snow but is a bit primmy and with one of those annoying door lock scripts that you have to remember involves pressing and holding some button somewhere and trying to get that script which I hate for doors to work it.

o Not that sweet little over-stuffed cabin which comes already furnished for total peanuts which has those awful annoying looping butterflies, saccharine little sweets that don't deliver, fencing and garden furniture that is awfully pink and white, etc. Picking the prims out of all that is a chore and it's just too cloying.

o Not that bare bones but very lovely cabin with the strange elevated platform not even as high as a loft would be for a bed.

o Not that other bare bones cabin that is so open that it seems more like an art project than a home. That is, some people like taking an open cabin made out of windows (that's a popular concept) or just jagged pieces of wood, or air shafts or slats open and sure, it's not like it's going to rain in SL and ruin your rug. Still, it's just TOO open for even people who are alone without partners.

o Not that other one that is very rugged and in fact very closed and even has heaps of snow piled around it if you want because it's an avatar trap. Even normal sized avatars get caught in the door or get inside and can't see anything due to camera angle issues.

o Not that one I actually love that has a nice tiled floor in the back, no "mesh bounce" issues, a porch that isn't an avatar trap. I love that one. It has never, ever rented. Ever. In its life. I'm not sure why. But I don't have the luxury of putting it out again when it never rents (likely because people fear it's an avatar trap even if it isn't).

o Not that one made for those wanderlust, rambling folks who like moss growing out of walls and roofs -- again, not like it will collapse in a real world -- and which may have geodes encrusted on it and the phases of the moon to appeal to wiccans. They're too high prim and even witches avoid them.

o Not anything that is called "she shed". No. Please...just no.

o Not anything that is actually a potting shed and has some variation of a pun on THAT Potter's name or movie. People realize it's a potting shed and don't want to live in potting sheds.

o Not that Linden cabin of a few years ago. That's actually a pretty sturdy good little cabin. It's a little chunky and primmy but ok. But people see it and think "That's not a Linden Home, that's something from the Linden Library" although technically it's a premium gift. It just doesn't move.

o Not something that's not a cabin but actually a wooden house with sun rooms, porches, covered porticos, etc. I do have some nice ones of those in the other area that is a camp that tolerates cabins of that type more. But in the actual camp grounds area I want -- camp.

o Speaking of ranger's houses, if I was lucky enough to win the one or two rares out of that gatcha, great, and I did, but that's just one or two plus they are very shallow. They are meant really as backdrops to a whole "scene" that says "camp" that you photograph yourself in. They aren't really meant to live in.

o Yes, I have a few named "forgotten" and maybe they should be?

o Yes, I'm seriously looking at some "moonshine shacks" and "shotgun shacks" of which I have no shortage although they don't quite say "campgrounds," they tend to say more "creepy backwoods areas where axe murderers who threaten you on the Internet live". Still...

o Yes, I have motel court cabins but those are stone and put in a separate area, again, I need like "rustic" even "elf" or "fairy" or "Girl Scouts". 

o Yes, I have the Viking kind with the grass on its roof. I find most norms do not want this. A few furries do. They don't move. Unless you put like a bigger thing with all the Valhalla kind of stuff.

o I have this old sea shanty my builder made which I love to pieces but it's old school and not everyone appreciates prim builds. One technique old-school prim builders resorted to was to make pictures of windows, not actual windows which would need more prims. So then that old alpha texture develops issues, and the entire alpha-texture prim can turn flickery and transparent. You can back out of that by taking off alpha which might or might not destroy its look. So, not so serviceable.

o Yes I have the one that is called "cabin" and with one of those rustic Northeastern type of names but it's really more of a boat house so I have to put that only on waterfront and OK, I have that, I need diversity as I said.

o Yes, I have that one which is really gorgeous on stilts but is sort of hard to get into and doesn't have tintable windows on its own, although I made it tint...after a lot of work.

o Yes, I have tents, glamping sets, yurts, vardos, wagons, and RVs in another section. But I'm talking *cabin* here.

So I just went on a little busman's holiday to a few of those fabulously decorated sims that get in Destination, my God, those are to die for. They are all gatcha rares. Mainly gatcha rares I don't have and in machines that are notorious for not being loose. I also see some people are living out of half-wrecked vans. Ok...

Now I'm using the broken search to find campgrounds, and discovering there are only two listings using that archaic expression and guess where. So I am trying "camp" and "camping". There are some really nice ones, but they are RV camps.

Wow, here's one that I haven't seen in ages, and you can't rez there as you will see but interesting.  "Let those follow me who can!" it says. I have, and not always with good consequences. It brings tears to my eyes to discover that this fellow is 17 years, 2 months now, just a bit older than me at 16 years, 9 months. (9/24/04 birthdate)

Found a WONDERFUL Japanese mountain campground. Tents, though, and marine buildings. Found an INCREDIBLY expensive custom-built lodge place with even dinner served, my God, I have wasted my Second Life. Found a fishing camp or two with curiously lots of concrete and barns or stilt buildings.

Anyway, time to go to work but I have not found my cabin yet.

• Like 1

Thank you for the term "avatar trap"! I had to jettison a cabin for just that reason, and didn't have a name for it. I couldn't look anywhere without accidentally looking through the rafters or something. I felt like Alice when she gets huge inside the house and has her arms and legs sticking out of it.

• Like 1

POST have a couple that I don't believe are covered in your list.

I initially went to get this link for you being one that I have used myself on numerous occasions.... https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/POST-Gnesen-Farm-Sheds/4251552

... and then discovered that they do this one too that may be more what you have in mind (though I haven't ever actually used it myself).  https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/POST-Holopaw-Shack/6660107

Assuming you’re asking for suggestions and not simply rambling for fun... Follow up questions, because I’ve read the post 3x and I’m still not feeling the clarity:

1) assuming by “Alpine Cabin” you mean the 23LI one from What Next? Definitely an oldie but goodie, if you don’t. 

2) What size of cabin are you looking for? One room? Three rooms? 2 bed, 2 bath? 

3) You mention “primmy” but fail to mention how much LI you wish to stay under. 

4) Is window tinting important to you, or was it just mentioned as part of the aforementioned (and frustration-induced) rambling? 

At the risk of suggesting places you’ve already tried (because, again, clarity), have you looked at Convair (by @Tobias Convair) or Trompe Loeil?

• Like 1

What comes to my mind is not a cabin, per se, but an A-frame that fits very well, I feel, into a forest-y, camp-like setting.  Perhaps you have already considered and rejected this, because I know you're familiar with this builder's homes, but this is a home that I have used at various times in a woodsy setting, on somewhat small lots (I think it would fit on a 1024, but probably not a 512):    Second Life Marketplace - [ba] yosemite a-frame - packaged

On 6/4/2021 at 4:32 PM, Sister Nova said:

POST have a couple that I don't believe are covered in your list.

I initially went to get this link for you being one that I have used myself on numerous occasions.... https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/POST-Gnesen-Farm-Sheds/4251552

... and then discovered that they do this one too that may be more what you have in mind (though I haven't ever actually used it myself).  https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/POST-Holopaw-Shack/6660107

Yes, I have those of course, and have had them for years, and as you know, they are out in my rentals in Patagonia and Zephyr, those exact ones, and a few others. His motel court cabins I have out as well.

These are sculpty/prim builds and not mesh (very old school), not that it matters, as I'm not a mesh snob and appreciate good prim/sculpty builds, and these are very good. But I can only put out so many of those, and I have them all out, which is why I didn't mention them.

On 6/5/2021 at 1:07 AM, norajulian said:

Assuming you’re asking for suggestions and not simply rambling for fun... Follow up questions, because I’ve read the post 3x and I’m still not feeling the clarity:

1) assuming by “Alpine Cabin” you mean the 23LI one from What Next? Definitely an oldie but goodie, if you don’t. 

2) What size of cabin are you looking for? One room? Three rooms? 2 bed, 2 bath? 

4) Is window tinting important to you, or was it just mentioned as part of the aforementioned (and frustration-induced) rambling? 

At the risk of suggesting places you’ve already tried (because, again, clarity), have you looked at Convair (by @Tobias Convair) or Trompe Loeil?

On 6/5/2021 at 3:09 PM, MoiraKathleen said:

What comes to my mind is not a cabin, per se, but an A-frame that fits very well, I feel, into a forest-y, camp-like setting.  Perhaps you have already considered and rejected this, because I know you're familiar with this builder's homes, but this is a home that I have used at various times in a woodsy setting, on somewhat small lots (I think it would fit on a 1024, but probably not a 512):    Second Life Marketplace - [ba] yosemite a-frame - packaged

Yes, I have that very one, and I put it in the snow area. It's a little primmy but very spacious.

Still not what I want as a *cabin* however. It's an a-frame, which is different.

On 6/5/2021 at 1:07 AM, norajulian said:

No, I really need something new. And I didn't put it in "Wanted" (it was moved here) because I think it goes to the heart of the problem of the 1024 let alone 512, and what to put on it.

I have What Next, yes it's an oldie but goodie, but I put it in the snow area, it's alpine. It's also a bit cramped.

The size had to fit on 512 or 1024 in the campgrounds which in fact have even smaller lots in places like 448.

Therefore it has to be roughly under 50 ideally because you only have 175 on a 512 and these are under that in places. Once you put out trees, the prims go quick.

Yes, absolutely, window tinting is a must or it is not good for rentals. I put them in myself if I have to.

Yes, I have two rather costly Convair cabins which I really like, they look great, but they aren't tinted, and you kind of have to wrestle with them, they are not easy to turn around in, inside.

If every house maker lived in his house for 30 days, logged in and sat in his house for hours, we might see very different houses in SL.

So the ideal cabin or really any house:

o spacious interior

o simple construction without avatar trapping in eaves or porches or stairways

o no mesh bounce, i.e. properly uploaded to prevent that problem

o rustic but not beat up

o not ornate but still pretty

This is why I think the LISP cabin is the best cabin in SL as it has all these requirements. Why people won't rent it is an enduring mystery.

17 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

for smaller locations i sometimes use the Apple Fall Converted Barn  ... or the guesthouse and / or ettienne gacha by Trompe Loeil . teh Ettienne might be to modern perhaps, and the guesthouse to small :)

afmp_hettonbarn1.jpg?1555189074

fullham.jpg?1601156011

ettiennes.jpg?1621822424

The Apple Fall converted barn is a good idea, although it's a barn, not a cabin. Still, I think it's a good prospect.

I find that certain tenants tell me to get the Etienne Cottage with which I'm very familiar. But then it doesn't rent, it is huge, spacious, to be sure but also not tintable. Of the house makers, it seems only Barnesworth Anubis learned to tint his windows which is what customers want.

I think Waltham looks like a possibility but I would ditch those lights. Why do makers put lights like that on houses? So much clutter. If it is on mod, I would take them off.

These are all fine, but none of them say CAMPGROUNDS. They are New England summer rentals or something but not CAMPS.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

• 1 month later...

we got a store called HISA , not sure if you'll find what youre looking for but, you can have a look, we post in what parcel size the build will fit in each time and have them in 2 diff Li's /LODs for every house we do. 

Pine View Flickr

We got a cabin at DRD aswell but not sure, the ones at drd are very tiny:

Hunters Retreat

Edited by Jaimy Hancroft
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 989 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.