Premium Member Free Home

Kohana Schimmer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1028 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I first choose my free home I choose one that I thought would fit my lifestyle... but now I have gone a different direction and wonder if I can move from the home I have now and choose a new area.  How would I go about this?  Who do I need to contact? Thank you. 

Edited by Kohana Schimmer
didn't explain well , left out a word

6 minutes ago, Kohana Schimmer said:

When I first choose my free home I choose one that I thought would fit my lifestyle... but now I have gone a different direction and wonder if I can move from the home I have now and choose a new area.  How would I go about this?  Who do I need to contact? Thank you. 

Click on the land and abandon it.  Be sure to pick up all your items first.  Then, go to the linden home page and choose another style.

• Moles
4 hours ago, Kohana Schimmer said:

As Rowan says, first you need to abandon your original Linden Home, and then apply for a new one.  

Full details here http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:New_Linden_Homes_2019#Abandoning_or_changing_your_Linden_Home

• Like 1

• Moles

Just remember that you cannot choose a specific location. You specify the style of home that you want (Traditional, Victorian, Log, Stilt  ....) and you are offered a location among those that are available at the time. You can abandon a Linden Home and choose a new one up to five times a day.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BenRoyal said:

What happens to any items you own that you don't pick up, when you abandon.

They will be returned to you if you have autoreturn turned on when you abandon c= not sure if you need autoreturn turned on when you abandon though, because I've seen abandoned lands with autoreturn turned off and there are stuff in those places, but maybe those are just from people putting stuff in afterward

1 hour ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

Everything is automatically auto-returned to you and lands in your lost and found folder do manually take all no copy stuff it may not return otherwise

I am probably answering my own question here by asking it.  Call me OCD - But by default I put the actual main box/packed item for EVERYTHING i buy in a protected inventory folder I've created called PURCHASES.  Then I make a copy of that boxed item, and use the copy for actual use/unpacking etc.  By doing that - does that protect me if ever I lose anything that is not returned to me?  I am guessing it does?  But who knows - i am learning stuff every day about this crazy new world !!

Nothing in life is risk-free, whether you are talking about SL or RL.  Still, it never hurts to have backups and to label things well enough so you can retrace your steps if you need to.  Keeping an original unpacked object makes sense.  You could either put it in a folder, as you have, or you could rez a prim and put all similar unpacked items in it. Then store that prim -- appropriately labeled -- in your inventory.  Keeping a bunch of storage boxes like that in your inventory is like putting your Christmas ornaments or other rarely-used items into boxes in your attic.  There's always a risk that your inventory might blow up and you could lose all or part of the stuff you have stashed there, but that's a low risk.  It's also why many shops (and the Marketplace) have a redelivery option, so you can replace things that go missing.

Having said all that, there are many things not worth keeping. When you buy clothes, for example, you often get a huge stack of items, most of which you will never use because they are designed for mesh bodies that you do not have.  You also accumulate loads of duplicate landmarks, time-sensitive notecards, and pointless "unpack me" scripts, all of which you can toss.  Once you start building things or scripting, you will have an ungodly mess of trial versions (that's my own headache), most of which you will never go back and look at. Overweight inventory is a peril that we all live with, the longer we are in SL.  Not only does it make it harder to find stuff after a while, but it can actually hurt performance and, in some circumstances, even make it hard to log in.  It pays to plan ahead and to be ruthless about deleting things you no longer need. (Not that most of us ever follow that advice .... 🙄 )  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BenRoyal said:

I am probably answering my own question here by asking it.  Call me OCD - But by default I put the actual main box/packed item for EVERYTHING i buy in a protected inventory folder I've created called PURCHASES.  Then I make a copy of that boxed item, and use the copy for actual use/unpacking etc.  By doing that - does that protect me if ever I lose anything that is not returned to me?  I am guessing it does?  But who knows - i am learning stuff every day about this crazy new world !!

No. Second life is notorious for losing huge chunks of residents inventory and they say it is irrecoverable. Your best bet is to rez a prim in-world, and drag copied of your boxed items into that prim. Linden Lab only backs up regions, so if those back-up prims ever go missing, they can roll back the region. Trust me on this. A linden will confirm that your inventory is NOT backed up by any servers. Buy stuff at your own risk.

Edit to say that you can also redeliver some purchases but you’re also at the mercy of those merchants having a redelivery system and second life losing it all again. 

Edited by Milk Pixelmaid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Nothing in life is risk-free, whether you are talking about SL or RL.  Still, it never hurts to have backups and to label things well enough so you can retrace your steps if you need to.  Keeping an original unpacked object makes sense.  You could either put it in a folder, as you have, or you could rez a prim and put all similar unpacked items in it. Then store that prim -- appropriately labeled -- in your inventory.  Keeping a bunch of storage boxes like that in your inventory is like putting your Christmas ornaments or other rarely-used items into boxes in your attic.  There's always a risk that your inventory might blow up and you could lose all or part of the stuff you have stashed there, but that's a low risk.  It's also why many shops (and the Marketplace) have a redelivery option, so you can replace things that go missing.

Having said all that, there are many things not worth keeping. When you buy clothes, for example, you often get a huge stack of items, most of which you will never use because they are designed for mesh bodies that you do not have.  You also accumulate loads of duplicate landmarks, time-sensitive notecards, and pointless "unpack me" scripts, all of which you can toss.  Once you start building things or scripting, you will have an ungodly mess of trial versions (that's my own headache), most of which you will never go back and look at. Overweight inventory is a peril that we all live with, the longer we are in SL.  Not only does it make it harder to find stuff after a while, but it can actually hurt performance and, in some circumstances, even make it hard to log in.  It pays to plan ahead and to be ruthless about deleting things you no longer need. (Not that most of us ever follow that advice .... 🙄 )  

Your inventory is the worst place for backup. It goes missing all the time. A quick scan of the forum and you’ll see that businesses and residents have lost thousands of items through no fault of their own. They’re not idiots that just didn’t clear cache or whatever, this is a real loss that the Lab does not have a fix for. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Milk Pixelmaid said:

Your inventory is the worst place for backup. It goes missing all the time. A quick scan of the forum and you’ll see that businesses and residents have lost thousands of items through no fault of their own. They’re not idiots that just didn’t clear cache or whatever, this is a real loss that the Lab does not have a fix for. 

Thanks.  When you say 'Your inventory is the worst place for backup. It goes missing all the time'.  How often is 'all the time'?  I haven't noticed anything go missing as yet?

And sorry to sound a dummy - but i'm quite new, so don't really understand the instructions you gave which state 'rez a prim in-world, and drag copied of your boxed items into that prim'

Edited by BenRoyal
typo

5 minutes ago, BenRoyal said:

Thanks.  When you say 'Your inventory is the worst place for backup. It goes missing all the time'.  How often is 'all the time'?  I haven't noticed anything go missing as yet?

And sorry to sound a dummy - but i'm quite new, so don't really understand the instructions you gave which state 'rez a prim in-world, and drag copied of your boxed items into that prim'

All the time just means that it happens often enough. I don’t have the statistics, only Linden Lab can tell you how many support tickets they get from residents.

found you a tutorial

29 minutes ago, BenRoyal said:

Despite what some may tell you, it is a rare event.  I have been here for 14+ years, and have never lost a thing.  Nor have any people that I know personally.  That does not mean that inventory loss never happens.   It does, and usually it is a temporary loss that you can reverse by clearing your inventory cache and forcing a download from the SL servers ( now the AWS cloud).  There have certainly been people who have lost things permanently.  As Milk says, you can find threads here in the forums to document some of those.  Your challenge is to assess the risk yourself and decide whether "all the time" is much more than "every once in a while".  Any evidence that you get here in the forums from other residents, including me, is anecdotal.  We have no statistics.

As for storing backups in a prim rezzed in world, you should be aware that there are risks there too.  If you are renting on the mainland, you are always in risk of losing items (especially no-copy items) if you fail to pay rent on time and are booted.  Linden Lab can roll back a region, but if you read their guidance on rollbacks you will see that they are very reluctant to do it just because you lost something.  There is too much possibility that you are asking for a rollback simply to have the Lab unwittingly create copies of no-copy inventory.  If you rent or own in a private estate, you have that risk plus the risk that the region owner may die or depart suddenly, making the entire region vanish.  Like loss from your own inventory, these risks are small but not unheard of.  Again, search these forums for threads in which people have lost items in this way.

The bottom line is that you are never going to find a risk-free way to protect your belongings.  SL is just like RL in that regard.  You'll have to decide where the limits of your OCD lie, so that you don't become paralyzed by the fear of losing something.  The sky is not falling, but it does rain sometimes. 

Edited by Rolig Loon
Additional information
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Despite what some may tell you, it is a rare event.  I have been here for 14+ years, and have never lost a thing. 

Same here. I have never lost an item from inventory in 11 years. The only time I remember losing anything was a couple of rezzed items when SL had a huge grid crash back in 2010. 

I've lost a few no-copy items by rezzing them inside badly-designed mesh houses, and they went poof at the point of rezzing. But I've never had items just disappear from my inventory, at least nothing important enough that I have noticed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1028 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.