Is it possible to give an alt a separate account?

workinbear

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1049 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

18 answers to this question

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Are you saying you have an alt as in alter ego on the account you posted on and you'd like to make a separate account to play as that? If you already have an alt with it's own log in details, that is a separate account to yours and you wont lose any inventory unless you delete it.
If you are meaning alt as in alter ego only transferable stuff can be given to a new alt account you make, the rest will stay with you

• Like 1

Having juggled me and my male alt, and having started on one account but with two distinct looks (i.e., what Claire refers to as an "alter ego"), I had to simply bite the bullet and create "his own" account. Meant re-buying most of the stuff "he" owned.

Now to appear as the male me, I have to log out as Kat and in as him and vice versa. The biggest benefit to me is that I can have a traditionally male- and female-sounding names for each account.

Oddest thing is that I now refer to my other avatar in the second person all the time, in conversations. I was on as him this morning, and met someone and had to say that this one (Kat) is a real handful after she asked if Kat was my spouse.

BTW, I am Kat 90% of my time in SL, open with the fact that I am driving a purely female avatar as a guy behind the scenes, and don't think I've ever even posted in the forums as my male persona.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
spelling

1 hour ago, workinbear said:

I have an alt that I would like to move to his own account.

But I'm worried I would lose all the content that the alt has acquired over the years in SL.

Is that even possible? Would he lose all his inventory?

An alt IS a separate account.  Having different looking avatars on one account is not considered an alt.  I can have a male avatar, a furry avatar, a pink polka dotted cow avatar all on this one account.  If I were to make another account, THAT would be considered an alt.  You can't share inventory between two accounts.  You can pass Transfer items to your 2nd account but nothing more.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, workinbear said:

I have an alt that I would like to move to his own account.

But I'm worried I would lose all the content that the alt has acquired over the years in SL.

Is that even possible? Would he lose all his inventory?

The definition of an alt is a separate account. But I think you mean another avatar/persona on the same account?

If you normally share the same account (i.e. same inventory) then yes, if he makes his own account he will lose everything that is no-transfer - which will be 99% of everything you've bought. There is no solution or workaround to this except (a) re-purchase everything be needs or (b) Don't make a separate account. 

• Like 1

The Term 'Account' is a very complicated one with Second Life (depending on which version and year of the platorm you create the account(s) on).

I have many other acounts which were all created with their own signup information including individual e-mail address (I own my own e-mail server to accomplish this for each account) each said account can then have their own "alt accounts". Some refer to such accounts as legacy if they were created in 2003/2004.  LL did not integrate or combine accounts to the best of my knowledge because there is no way for them to know if each account  might be used by another household member or associate. Each account can get a stipend of L$50 each week dependent on login (dependant on signup agreements within the time period that the account was created).

Any sign-up created using the e-mail of one of the 'accounts'  are considered an alt, but the alt does not receive a stipend.

Also (slightly off topic but account related) alts are not bots. A bot can be any account but is registered specifically as a bot by the 'User' and not automatic.

I make a lot of my own content or buy full perm with the applicable license and eula etc. So it is possible to have multi content based accounts .

OMG! @Hunter Stern. An SL account is not complicated. An ID and password define an account. The account has the attribute free or premium. Each account has one avatar. You can tell by looking at the name tag. The avatar can look any way you want and you can change that look as often as you want. Each account has a unique non-transferable inventory.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Hunter Stern said:

Here is a link to the current (I assume it's current?) policy on accounts. Accounts overview - English - Second Life Community

So you are saying LL integrated and combined ALL accounts regardless of membership level? I haven't seen that.

Nobody said that.

Is English your first language?

3 hours ago, Hunter Stern said:

Any sign-up created using the e-mail of one of the 'accounts'  are considered an alt, but the alt does not receive a stipend.

Not anymore. 

Every unique login username is an account and if that account becomes Premium they will get a stipend -- regardless of whether they share an email address with another account or not. 

I currently have a couple dozen accounts (unique login names).  Six of them are using the same email address.  Three of those are currently still Premium and receive a weekly stipend.  Other accounts, some using that same email address and some not, have been Premium in the past and each one always got their own weekly stipend.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Not anymore. 

Every unique login username is an account and if that account becomes Premium they will get a stipend -- regardless of whether they share an email address with another account or not. 

I currently have a couple dozen accounts (unique login names).  Six of them are using the same email address.  Three of those are currently still Premium and receive a weekly stipend.  Other accounts, some using that same email address and some not, have been Premium in the past and each one always got their own weekly stipend.

I think he's talking about something that no longer exists.  Like the dawn of SL when everyone got a stipend which is irrelevant in this thread @Hunter Sternand only confusing the issue.

Depending on what type of account you have and its age, the amount you receive each week may vary.

1. Premium accounts created or upgraded from Basic on or after November 1, 2006 receive L$300 per week.
  2. Premium accounts created or upgraded between July 21, 2006 and November 1, 2006 receive L$400 per week.
  3. Premium accounts created or upgraded prior to July 21, 2006 receive L$500 per week.
  4. Basic accounts created prior to June 6, 2006 receive a stipend of L$50 per week.
  5. Basic accounts created after June 6, 2006 do not receive a weekly stipend.

Thanks, @LittleMe Jewell. Yes, I have a similar setup, and some of the accounts each have their own address and stipend (grandfathered), considered 'primary or master' and then subsequent accounts under those which would then be counted as Alts, and they do not receive a stipend unless they are premium.

@Rowan Amore I'm not trying to confuse any issue or anyone. I am simply stating some facts about the process. Some use the term 'Alt' for  mains in a nick namish sort of way but in no way are they alts and they are each accountable for the activity on that main signup including but not limited to each subsequent account (alt) created under that sign-up email. 

Inventory and transfer issue is a whole other matter.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Hunter Stern said:

Thanks, @LittleMe Jewell. Yes, I have a similar setup, and some of the accounts each have their own address and stipend (grandfathered), considered 'primary or master' and then subsequent accounts under those which would then be counted as Alts, and they do not receive a stipend unless they are premium.

@Rowan Amore I'm not trying to confuse any issue or anyone. I am simply stating some facts about the process. Some use the term 'Alt' for  mains in a nick namish sort of way but in no way are they alts and they are each accountable for the activity on that main signup including but not limited to each subsequent account (alt) created under that sign-up email. 

Inventory and transfer issue is a whole other matter.

Main and alt are 2 separate things (meaning) to most people.  Not nick-namish.

24 minutes ago, Hunter Stern said:

Almost nothing on that page is accurate.

However, if you create an army of alts, Linden Lab may charge a small fee of US$9.95 for the creation of each additional basic account as a way to recoup some of the cost.

Never heard that happening.

Currently, you can create:

Up to five accounts per household.

No more than two accounts in a single 24-hour period.

Also, never happened in recent memory.

And to my point, 

An alternate account (or alt account) is an account you use for something other than your usual activity or to do things in privacy (such as building or scripting).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hunter Stern said:

From that page:

image.png.d34e00e939d530527ee294e1d705ceda.png

The information is outdated, and no longer fully accurate.  Many people have more than 5 accounts just for themselves, let alone other people in the household.  Also, I've definitely created more than 2 accounts in a 24-hour period.  Finally, LL doesn't even ask for any contact information beyond email or your name, unless you are adding Billing info.

LL isn't always very good about keeping their various pages of info updated.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

From that page:

image.png.d34e00e939d530527ee294e1d705ceda.png

The information is outdated, and no longer fully accurate.  Many people have more than 5 accounts just for themselves, let alone other people in the household.  Also, I've definitely created more than 2 accounts in a 24-hour period.  Finally, LL doesn't even ask for any contact information beyond email or your name, unless you are adding Billing info.

LL isn't always very good about keeping their various pages of info updated.

The ToS section they cite, 2.1, isn't even relevant anymore.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1049 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.