Venues charging to get into their region

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I saw in another virtual world that someone is charging $3.00 USD with PayPal to buy a ticket to see a live singer.

Is this a thing in Second life currently?  Would this be sustainable in Second Life or a total flop?  I know I would be unwilling to pay a "ticket" price on top of tipping. I would just skip it.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Greetings Sam,

I believe that a few years back "live performers" and "DJs" were paid by performance from the venue owner and also keeping their tips. As of a couple of years ago folks were being paid "tips only", so if you have been performing here in SL for any amount of time you have seen your wages/tips go down considerably. So to answer your question i can see that ticket thing happening here in SL.

Best Regards,

Josephine

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I saw in another virtual world that someone is charging $3.00 USD with PayPal to buy a ticket to see a live singer.

Is this a thing in Second life currently?  Would this be sustainable in Second Life or a total flop?  I know I would be unwilling to pay a "ticket" price on top of tipping. I would just skip it.

Thoughts?

I'd only consider paying to attend if it was someone that I really liked a lot -- and depending on the price.

Even then, I would only pay in L$, not via PayPal.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Thoughts?

I mean in all reality it is their right. It does cost money to run the venue, to hire the live singers or djs, and region costs to also play a part in it. Would I go? No, but I think it is totally okay. 

• Like 1

I'm fine with venues charging ticket prices. Would I pay to go see somebody? Nope. Not unless I knew it was a good band and the performance was for real live instead of someone's avatar miming. There is one group I do tip as generously as I'm able-Frogg & Jaycatt. They're good & fun to interact with as they perform. They're the exception, though.

I might depending on who is performing.  If it's a real popular singer, I would have to think long and hard if I want to put up with the lag and the possibility of not gaining entry into a full sim. 

Edited by Eddy Vortex
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddy Vortex said:

I might depending on who is performing.  If it's a real popular singer, I would have to think long and hard if I want to put up with the lag and the possibility of not gaining entry into a full sim. 

Yeah this, especially about the lag.  If I pay $3.00 and am lagged out, it's a waste of money as I'd just have to shut down the viewer and not get to hear the performance.  So, I'd skip it altogether.  With tinies, we are so low lag we have amazing events with 100+ tinies but with human avatars it's very, very risky if one doesn't know how many are there and just hitting 'show friends only' is for shopping not a paid event.  lol

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

This is another one of those "back in the day" things. There have been many  events that were paid by ticket in the past -- and actually not THAT long ago -- maybe three  years.  The venues were all full so I guess it worked out well. I went to one as a reporter but it was SO laggy I had to leave. These were sort of extravaganza type events, not just a singer in a club.   One had "chariots" that took a load of people at a time to the venue. Beyond that I don't remembermeber much :D. 

I don't go to a lot of these type of things but I would be happy to pay (more likely in lindens) if it was something I thought I would enjoy.  

I don't remember any of these LATELY but that doesn't mean they haven't been occurring -- just that they weren't well advertised. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling

Outside of SL, online concerts, podcast readings, and the like have brought in quite a bit of money for some artists - the pandemic and the stoppage of live musical of course motivating many of these concerts. For one virtual concert, singer Louis Tomlinson (formerly of One Direction) sold over 160,000 tickets. It was the best-selling virtual concert for a male artist in 2020, bringing in millions for a number of different charitable causes. There was also Travis Scott's concert in Fortnite, though he did not charge for entry (though users could buy merchandise).

Podcasts have also done similar events. For narrative podcasts, they might set it up where people can pay to watch a recording or live performance of a reading, whereas others might charge a fee for people to have the opportunity to 'attend' a podcast taping. Welcome to Nightvale has done a number of these over quarantine.

Given that artists and creators are doing this in real life, I could see the potential for singers in virtual worlds, but only if they have an audience that would be willing to pay an entry fee. All of them also sell tickets for live tours, so paying to see them 'online' might not be as much of a stretch as someone who offers both free and paid performances in a virtual world, plus they are much bigger acts than the average SL singer. 

In SL there is almost no distinction between a live performance and prerecorded aside from minimal audience participation. I've personally been to a few live events where it really felt like the performer was saying a few words live and then playing an mp3. 

Paid access to regions is something else, I have paid one time group fees for repeat access to such places, a one time one event fee .. probably not.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I know I would be unwilling to pay a "ticket" price on top of tipping. I would just skip it.

Paying for access and tipping seem pretty mutually exclusive to me. Either you attend a free event and tip whatever you feel like, or you pay for access and enjoy the event. (And since tips are voluntary, you could choose to just not tip if prompted.) Then again, tipping culture is not really a thing where I live.

• Like 3

Before I sold my club to someone else --- I had a couple of performers that were paid a fee from me. One wasn't as he was there for fun.  He since left SL for family.  I had suspensions of one performer playing a prerecorded track  I did an audio capture of part of his show in my club and one from a couple weeks later of the same 2 songs. They were IDENTICAL!  That left such a sour taste for me. When I sold the club I did tell the person about that.

As for the singers --- there are real live performers and those who do "karaoke" stuff --- singing to backing tracks.

I wouldn't pay to access a live performer in SL unless I'd already heard them perform and knew they were good. There are far too many singers in SL who sing worse than I do (and I'm pretty rubbish at it).

I wouldn't pay as much as US$3 (L$750) at all unless it was an actual RL professional performer that I know and like. 

I'd pay to see someone like Dua Lipa live in concert somewhere near me, but I would not even leave my SL house to hear her perform and see some avatar wiggle on a SL stage and pay for a ticket. Even a tiny desk concert on YouTube exceeds that experience.

Edited by Sid Nagy

4 hours ago, Mercedes Avon said:

I might pay a ticket price in lindens if a performer I really wanted to hear was singing (and that is a big might). I would not buy a ticket via PayPal.

Some will invest in equipment to make their sound good --- and those who use a phone. When I ran my club I fired a new "performer" who's phone died and couldn't finish his show. I asked why he couldn't do it acoustic, I got a PM say "I only sing into my phone."

• Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 10:57 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'd only consider paying to attend if it was someone that I really liked a lot -- and depending on the price.

Even then, I would only pay in L$, not via PayPal.  

Same. If I'd go to an SL live event, or whatever other experience with a price tag, I'd want to pay in SL currency.

13 minutes ago, Meccha Suki said:

Same. If I'd go to an SL live event, or whatever other experience with a price tag, I'd want to pay in SL currency.

Pretty much this, all told.

Otherwise, if I'm going to pay RL money, that's the bit where I get a ride somewhere, and enjoy the artist there.

On 5/30/2021 at 3:11 PM, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Thoughts?

There is a feature on the land menu where you can charge people to enter your land, let's say if you had a concert or a reading or a fashion show.

I have never seen anyone use it.

When I tried it briefly years ago I realized no one will ever pay into a land menu, not when there are 100 other events they can go to for free.

They will tip an artist or venue owner but not feel constrained by a pay wall.

On 5/30/2021 at 3:31 PM, Josephine Carissa said:

I believe that a few years back "live performers" and "DJs" were paid by performance from the venue owner and also keeping their tips. As of a couple of years ago folks were being paid "tips only", so if you have been performing here in SL for any amount of time you have seen your wages/tips go down considerably.

I think that may depend on the venue and performer - I know that when our sim gets guest performers for events they are always paid a fee as well as tips.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.