We have the power to make SL a "big thing" again (really) and tip the ongoing narrative, let's do this! c= let's do our part (for our sake)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 996 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

When dealing with people who insist on the sort of MLM jargon you use, no "rebuttal" is necessary.

Go back through, read the thread and you'll see everything has already been covered quite well to boot.

What MLM jargon? o: 

And I read all the replies, and take them into consideration c= however there is nothing in those replies which convinces me that what I'm proposing nor my actions would be detrimental to my goals, it is an equation in which there can only be an increase in leaning toward the positive values of my predefined parameters of objectives

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

The years where I thought SL was the best thing since the invention of sliced bread lay around 2007-2009.
I would go up the barricades if needed in those years, but a lot of that has changed since then.

I'm no longer addicted to the platform.
I still have some fun with it, but when it would shut its gates tomorrow for good, I would only be sorry for the handful of L$ that are on my bank account alt and maybe loosing contact with one or two dear people I know because of and in SL.

But I could live with the closure, as much as I do when SL continues for a while.
SL is no necessity for me any more.

I see, I think that's why we should try our best to make SL even better so Sid and others like Sid would believe in it again! c=

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's nice. Now reread your responses: You sound exactly like an Avon (or equivalent) spokesperson, attempting to sucker others in.

The simple reality is that anyone who has questions will ask or seek out answers on their own. Those that do not, are not the concern of the end user.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

That's nice. Now reread your responses: You sound exactly like an Avon (or equivalent) spokesperson, attempting to sucker others in.

The simple reality is that anyone who has questions will ask or seek out answers on their own. Those that do not, are not the concern of the end user.

I'll Google what Avon is : P and whether or not what I'm doing is me attempting to "sucker others in" to you is based solely on your perception, as much as I'm concerned we have something worthwhile to try and save here in SL

Edit: It's a cosmetics brand? xD

image.png.24070d1c450a8db59687959f409186b5.png

Edited by lucagrabacr
I googled edit: nvm, duckduckgo'd avon and adding details
  • Haha 1

"Saving" Second Life is not the same as doing the Marketing/PR team's job for them - which is how you come across and how your "idea" is phrased.

We're not salespeople. We're not the PR or Marketing Departments. We are end users. If our opinion is sought, we give it. If it is not, we move on - especially at this stage.

• Like 1

"Saving" Second Life is not the same as doing the Marketing/PR team's job for them - which is how you come across and how your "idea" is phrased.

We're not salespeople. We're not the PR or Marketing Departments. We are end users. If our opinion is sought, we give it. If it is not, we move on - especially at this stage.

Well obviously, but it also depends on the end user whether or not they think SL is worth saving or preserving that they would go way and beyond in trying to do so, just because certain people think it's not doesn't mean it applies to everyone

That's nice and quite a fair amount of assumption/presumption on your part.

Like any product (software or not) - just like many communities - the most good is done, not by those "going above and beyond" but by those who answer questions when asked and by those who simply continue to do what they do on a daily basis. Inserting ourselves into irrelevant conversations and seeking out/"correcting" those expressing misinformed opinions unasked is detrimental.

"The Road to Hell is Paved With Good Intentions" applies here - the sort of active role you propose is well intentioned but can and will push away more people than it "corrects" and draws in.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The dollars they see on their firms bank account show them to continue or not.
They don't care if there are millions online, but if there are enough millions in revenue for the efforts they put in to it.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, lucagrabacr said:

All those tired stories of failure and disappointment people outside tell of Second Life, they are like fairy tales written and believed by people who either don't care, have given up or want the Metaverse brought to them on a silver platter

You left one out. "Want a holodeck, not a metaverse." 😇

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lucagrabacr said:

depends on the end user whether or not they think SL is worth saving or preserving that they would go way and beyond in trying to do so

There is nothing whatsoever you or I or the thousands of other residents can do to preserve or expand SL.  Nothing.  People will come or they won't.  People will stay or they won't.  LL will up their game or they won't.  

But you keep on keeping on, Don Quixote.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

That's nice and quite a fair amount of assumption/presumption on your part.

Like any product (software or not) - just like many communities - the most good is done, not by those "going above and beyond" but by those who answer questions when asked and by those who simply continue to do what they do on a daily basis. Inserting ourselves into irrelevant conversations and seeking out/"correcting" those expressing misinformed opinions unasked is detrimental.

"The Road to Hell is Paved With Good Intentions" applies here.

What you said is also presumptuous, there are many examples where users manage to substantially help or salvage an IP by voicing or expressing their feelings about misinformation

And what I'm proposing has little to do with actually contacting people about their "misinformed content about SL" and more about being more proactive in showing its positive aspects

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

The dollars they see on their firms bank account show them to continue or not.
They don't care if there are millions online, but if there are enough millions in revenue for the efforts they put in to it.

Of course, one of the desired end results of us trying to help SL is SL being more profitable

Edited by lucagrabacr
adding details

Just now, Janet Voxel said:

I just want to jump in here and say Avon makes good products.

Love me some Skin so soft.

*ding dong*

Avon calling! Have I got some deals for you!

Years ago I thought I wanted to be an Avon Sales Rep. Then I researched how it all works and looked for something better.

• Like 3

I mention SL to others, but unfortunately most of the people I know just want something that is simple to play around with.  The things that I love about SL, are the same things that they would rather not be bothered with.  The people I know, in general, want a streamlined, simple game that does not take very much effort on their part.

I don't think there is anything we can do to change that, not without destroying SL in the process.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

*ding dong*

Avon calling! Have I got some deals for you!

Do you have one for a Hawaii Burger with French fries as a side order as well?

1 minute ago, Istelathis said:

I mention SL to others, but unfortunately most of the people I know just want something that is simple to play around with.  The things that I love about SL, are the same things that they would rather not be bothered with.  The people I know, in general, want a streamlined, simple game that does not take very much effort on their part.

I don't think there is anything we can do to change that, not without destroying SL in the process.  

This right here sums up another part of the problem quite well and is quite frankly one of the reasons why I have such a large disdain for attempting to attract the "gamer" crowd (seen in other threads).

It is also part (how big a part is debatable) of the image "problem" Second Life has.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I have the same experience with trying to get my friends to try SL Istel, the idea of SL appeals to certain kinds of people and I mostly try to get SL exposed to those who will be helped most by it these days c=

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

This right here sums up another part of the problem quite well and is quite frankly one of the reasons why I have such a large disdain for attempting to attract the "gamer" crowd (seen in other threads).

It is also part (how big a part is debatable) of the image "problem" Second Life has.

There are certain subsections of the gamers crowd who find the concept of SL fine as it is, or even very desirable. But yeah hopefully SL will be perceived more positively in the coming years

Edited by lucagrabacr
details
  • Like 2

Communities need cynics and idealists.  The cynics keep the idealists' feet on the ground, and the idealists keep the cynics from pulling everyone else under it.  I would worry if SL didn't have a healthy balance.  In the end, of course, it's the people who actually do something -- even something small -- that determine how the community evolves.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

In the end, of course, it's the people who actually do something -- even something small -- that determine how the community evolves.

I hope you're right. Luca does big things and I know for sure whos future I'd rather be living in.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 996 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.