SL opening screen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1054 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 minutes ago, Doris Johnsky said:

Am I the only one not pleased with the freaky eyeball thing on the SL.com opening page?

If I were a interested new user, I would be so intimidated I wouldn't join.

Too weird.

If that would intimidate you as a new person, SL probably isn't a good place for you.  Everything else is WAY more intimidating.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

If that would intimidate you as a new person, SL probably isn't a good place for you.  Everything else is WAY more intimidating.

Maybe, but 1st impressions mean a lot and I don't think that's a good 1st impression.

And to your point, yes it can be intimidating, BUT  they have to enroll to find that out.

• Confused 1

Yeah, I was saying in another thread I need "skip intro" or something because those eyes are regularly creeping me out, and I have lived here for 17 years and seen it all.

And people say "oh, you don't have to land on that page". Except...if you have multiple accounts, you do, because you have to log out of one and log into another, LL is not advanced like even Yahoo which has "manage accounts" all on one page to bypass that. Why have multiple accounts. Because you use them for years to hold groups together, they all need a minimum of two avatars, and because you need multiple groups when land groups simply don't load after about 250 members, and you used to have to...oh, never mind.

Everything is connected to everything else. Don't ever change, LL. If you do, it's going to be like that guy who stepped on the butterfly, traveling in the time machine, you know the one? Ray Bradbury? And when he returned, nobody was speaking English anymore.

• Like 1

The initial eyes don't really bother me.  What I find totally creepy looking are those blue eyes of the blue flying avatar.  They look somewhat demonic to me, which doesn't seem to jive with the rest of the avatar look --- at least IMO.  They kind of remind me of the demonic looking eyes on the mustang statue at Denver Airport in Colorado (other than the color, that is).

And then there is that first girl, in the cut-up dress, that is dancing or something -- to me she looks like she is pleasuring herself.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

5 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

And people say "oh, you don't have to land on that page". Except...if you have multiple accounts, you do, because you have to log out of one and log into another,

I already told you to just install the free AdBlock Plus, https://adblockplus.org which stops the video from loading.  You ignored me then, so it's your problem, and easily fixed.

I cannot understand why anyone wants to see 100 ads on every web page.  Have you not already decided on the best brand for hemorrhoids? 

Edited by Jaylinbridges

I rushed to the page to see the freaky eyeball and was disappointed to find it was just a cyborg eye attached to someone. Not the eyeball monster of my dreams. Anyway, I think the bigger issue is that autoplaying video is a bad idea for accessibility.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

I already told you to just install the free AdBlock Plus, https://adblockplus.org which stops the video from loading.  You ignored me then, so it's your problem, and easily fixed.

I cannot understand why anyone wants to see 100 ads on every web page.  Have you not already decided on the best brand for hemorrhoids? 

I don't want to block ads.

Ads pay for the Internet.

They create livelihoods for people.

I'm quite capable of ignoring nearly all of them.

Many of the ones pitched to me are something I've actually looked at, on a shopping site, so I don't mind a reminder to go back.

PS what the Lindens have up here is not an ad, but a splash screen. 

Next?

@Polenth There is an autoplaying video, yes. I wonder why I didn't notice this until the last few weeks. Was it always there? Yes, I hate autoplaying videos. This is why I never go to Business Insider, for example, willingly unless there is an article they've stolen and cropped on their own site that I must absolutely see for my job. The guy who handled comms there was actually a good friend and he was so mortified and stressed by those things that it was among the key reasons why he left.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

PS what the Lindens have up here is not an ad, but a splash screen.

I am sure LL marketing and the money they paid for that "splash screen video" will be glad to know it was not an ad.   What exactly WAS it's purpose, if not to advertise SL to prospective customers?  You might like to check the definition of the word ad in any basic marketing textbook.

You and Sid should consider marriage.  You both enjoy web ads so much.

If you insist on being force fed 100's of ads on web pages, you can still have that with Ad Block Plus. It is easy to disable for any page or domain, so you see all the ads except on your black list page.  You can rather simply have it block just the secondlife.com log in page.  

Next?

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

I am sure LL marketing and the money they paid for that "splash screen video" will be glad to know it was not an ad.   What exactly WAS it's purpose, if not to advertise SL to prospective customers?  You might like to check the definition of the word ad in any basic marketing textbook.

You and Sid should consider marriage.  You both enjoy web ads so much.

If you insist on being force fed 100's of ads on web pages, you can still have that with Ad Block Plus. It is easy to disable for any page or domain, so you see all the ads except on your black list page.  You can rather simply have it block just the secondlife.com log in page.  

Next?

So let me get this straight. I don't look at ads, I don't care about this, and I see no reason to add one more script on my browser, as occasionally an ad might be interesting.

So to continue to "be right," because that's what is paramount here for you, you're telling me I should sit for hours and pick over which sites I need to blacklist, entering them into this extension. Um, that would take longer than just ignoring the ad. It would give MORE attention to the ads.

Honestly...

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Doris Johnsky said:

Am I the only one not pleased with the freaky eyeball thing on the SL.com opening page?

Doesn't bother me in the least. It's a simple click to another page. If this is so disturbing to you, perhaps you've spent too much time at the computer and need to take a walk.

• Like 1

I still like the big blue eye...sucking us into the virtual world  :)

But it really doesn't matter if I like it, or if some others on the forum don't like it.  We need to evaluate whether it would seem attractive to new customers.  I think it would as it's very eye-catching, so to speak...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Doesn't bother me in the least. It's a simple click to another page. If this is so disturbing to you, perhaps you've spent too much time at the computer and need to take a walk.

Well, whoop-ti-do for you.  

If you had an argument in favor of the opening screen I would be ok, but instead you just decided to be catty about it. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

656042257_PotKettle.png.804f6b88b6499fa10505332911aa6681.png

You're welcome to find an example of me insisting that my notion of "right" prevail, go ahead, I'll wait.

I fully treasure the "right to be wrong". I think it's vital in a free and open democratic society. Someone can make a hypothesis and promote it vigourously, and be proven wrong, and then may not back down and continue. You know, like Galileo. Or Nikolai Vavilov. Or, more recently, all the people who said maybe the lab theory should be investigated who were censored as anti-science loons in our time but who now have their day in court.

So people can go on with that, but it is worth pointing out that the "right to be wrong" has its limits, and it's ok for others to define them, too.

I think that referencing extensions that block ads when you are dealing with a splash page to a site you use regularly -- not an ad on another site -- is beside the point and worth ignoring, and if pressed, worth challenging as an example of "the need to be right". I don't think I have to belabour the point that -- again -- the discussion is about the features of the splash page which yes, are a form of advertising, but it is a mini animated machinima/film of sorts, not a static ad you are blocking that chases you around the Internet. That is, that blocking tech may block all that splash screen eye stuff but why block ALL ads just to block THIS feature - and especially when to do so, you'd have to make blacklists or whitelists blah blah. Who has the time for that? Ads can generally be ignored. Autoplay videos can generally be stamped on.

This splash screen is different. It appears because I need to switch from one account to another because of the exigencies of SL. I'm already a customer. I don't need an ad. So like those greeters in offices that you can turn off after the greet a customer ONCE (more people should avail themselves of that option), or space out the greeting over time if they return, so the Lindens could do for us returning USERS not targets of an ad campaign.

Yet they don't. And therein lies the tale. They are always chasing after customers they don't have, and annoying the ones they do. Why?

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Quistessa said:

I'm not seeing what y'all are talking about, anyone have a direct link?

I assume this is the animation at secondlife.com you get if you aren't logged in. The first avatar you see is a robot guy with super cool animated blue cyborg eyes and the camera flies into his right eye.

319876744_2021-05-30(2).thumb.png.3c013e8a410c13f5d2c9eed1f7ba5c7b.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1054 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.