Different. World

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

Not to people who have posted something serious.  Something I think is eye rolling, yes.  Something genuinely funny, yes.  Stuff someone says just to be contrary, sure.  Check my postings history.

I'll use confused more than scorn laugh.  

LOL.  Good Lord who cares?? I'm not THAT interested to check your posting history. That's more along your mode of entertainment.

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Not to people who have posted something serious.  Something I think is eye rolling, yes.  Something genuinely funny, yes.  Stuff someone says just to be contrary, sure.  Check my postings history.

I'll use confused more than scorn laugh.  

I reserve the right to disagree with the idea that the "laugh" response always means "scorn" laugh. There was a thread about it..

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Drayke Newall said:

Why would I reply to that when I dont even know what you mean by it. Your posts just get weirder and weirder. Additionally even in your latest post what the hell are you talking about regarding the guy from Utah. I have never even mentioned such a thing in this thread.

One of the things you can try to do with people with aggressive and persistent bad behaviour on the forums is to feed back to them what they say, because they seem to be oblivious of it, or impervious about it, and others also don't notice it, think it's not a pattern, or side with it due to their own agendas.

The idea that something is "off-topic" or "outside this thread" or "not referenced in this thread" -- as if each thread is some mini-universe created anew with no other reference points -- is crucial to bad behaviour but all the more reason to try to collect the threads and summarize from them.

The "guy from Utah" is the guy whom you were absolutely sure was anti-fa, and therefore your entire theory about Jan. 6 and anti-fa hinged on him -- yet he was a far more complicated figure closer to Proud Boys than anti-fa. And I say this as a profound critic of both extremists.

"Roblox" refers to your endless, endless hammering and badgering against SL and its supporters with references to another virtual world which you thought was "better" because you could build things out of blocks, then put skins on race cars, etc. and make fabulous machina and blah blah. If this world wasn't Roblox, but some other thing on Steam, so what? The point is, you belligerently promoted this world when it was so obvious that it lacked most of the features that make SL robust and superior, and that you were merely hammering narrow points about race car speed or war game graphics that many find irrelevant to the SL experience.

Again, if it isn't "Austria" but "Australia," and some other thing, *it doesn't matter*. The fact is, your mode is one of constant harassment, and you whistle and get pile-ons from people like Linda with axes to grind.

This sort of behaviour falls completely outside the moderation/AR system, a system people like you heavily avail themselves to -- and I don't. Why? For all sorts of reasons that aren't material to this discussion. So it's important to periodically call it such behaviour in an effort to make the forums better, a fool's errand, as I realize.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

I reserve the right to disagree with the idea that the "laugh" response always means "scorn" laugh. There was a thread about it..

True but most of the time, I'll use laugh when  it's something funny.  Some people seem to use it purely as scorn.  

I laugh at your stuff all the time! 

And with that, I'll move on and leave this thread to the...those 2...what I mean is...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Favorite Quotes thread suddenly made me think of one that I saw posted on an office door years ago:

"Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and it annoys the pig."

I wouldn't dare to attach that quote to any particular post in this thread -- it's much too offensive --  but the message seems to fit here somewhere. 🙄

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

True but most of the time, I'll use laugh when  it's something funny.  Some people seem to use it purely as scorn.  

I laugh at your stuff all the time! 

And with that, I'll move on and leave this thread to the...those 2...what I mean is...

So now you are psychic? ha! I had no idea so many posts in a forum allowed you to know what is in the minds of others when they use a reaction. I find that most hilarious....and scornful.

It's context.  When you've spoken against something someone has said and then keep giving them scorn laughs in their subsequent posts, it's fairly obvious.  No psychic ability needed but a basic understanding of behavior.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's context.  When you've spoken against something someone has said and then keep giving them scorn laughs in their subsequent posts, it's fairly obvious.  No psychic ability needed but a basic understanding of behavior.

You don't watch closely enough. Your blindfold to some people is showing.

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian

19 minutes ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

Many of us just laugh pure and simple and in good humor. Maybe we need two different laugh emoji.

This.

A second laugh emoji is long overdue.  The regular laugh that adds reputation points can be left as is, and the other scorn laugh would not add points like the sad or confused emojis. Let's petition the Lindens for it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TrophySpouse said:

This.

A second laugh emoji is long overdue.  The regular laugh that adds reputation points can be left as is, and the other scorn laugh would not add points like the sad or confused emojis. Let's petition the Lindens for it.

But which one? Would you then have to explain why you used one over the other. Sounds like a mess to me. We can't even handle one that is clearly a laughing face that says "haha".  How did that turn into a scornful laugh? I guess I have to study up on my emoji's. /me jots that down on my list of things to do.

Laugh.jpg

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

But which one? Would you then have to explain why you used one over the other. Sounds like a mess to me. We can't even handle one that is clearly a laughing face that says "haha".  How did that turn into a scornful laugh? I guess I have to study up on my emoji's. /me jots that down on my list of things to do.

Maybe this one?

PointingLaughingEmoji.jpg

Or this?

12168700_crying-laughing-emoji-laughing-emoji-png-transparent-png.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just weighing in again... (oops, ellipsises!)

Anyone who's read more than a handful of my posts knows very well that I don't insist on grammatically correct English and often use slang or idiom myself.

It's all about communication, and whatever gets that done is OK with me.

But yes, I do correct grammatical errors from time to time...again, in the interests of improving communication. I'm a teacher, and for me, class is always in session.

My posts here have been deliberately phrased in a snooty, schoolmarm tone as a gentle attempt at humor, poking a little fun at the overly strident posts by a few others, and at my own tendency to teach at the drop of a semicolon. Obviously, not everyone got that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

It's all about communication, and whatever gets that done is OK with me.

I agree. I have no problem with people making mistakes spelling wise or not using punctuation etc. I do it a lot myself hence multiple edits of my posts usually and this was my first time commenting on such a thing. What the OP did however, just ... well ... got on my nerves.

Maybe I was just in that kind of mood and I believed (still do), that what the OP did was just ridiculously over the top and just made his post confusing and hard to read so commented on it. Yes admittedly in a mocking way, however a way to simply show how ridiculous it was.

Seems people didn't like me doing that.

Edited by Drayke Newall
See, I made a boo-boo and corrected it.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Laugh.jpg

Nelson from the Simpsons is the epitome of a scornful, mocking “emoji”.  

4575B630-E61E-42C5-8727-6A32766AABD0.jpeg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TrophySpouse said:

This.

How about a simple Disagree emoji as sometimes the scornful laugh while inappropriate in many contexts is the only option when one is neither confused or sad about a particular post.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think we should use "Cockney rhyming slang", too bad most of us won't understand it.

Cor blimey, what a load of old cobblers. You will if you use yer loaf. If nothing else, have a butcher's online, or even coat and badge a brown bread tree dictionary from a china plate and it'll all be there. 

Any old iron, any old iron, any any any old iron...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1