Where are all the over 40s/50s in SL?

HazelEnglish

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1031 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all.  I have recently joined Second Life.  Loving it.  I've learned the basics.  And now properly starting to work on customising my Avatar.

But being the 'wrong side of 40', I am really finding it hard to find any skins that reflect my age group.  I am feeling a little bit fake/disengenous wearing a skin that looks more like a 20/30 year old.

So does anyone know any creators or stores that provide good quality 'older female' skins.  Preferably BOM.

I'm not looking to be a caricature (I’ve seen some of the 'jokey' skins, that are more like offensive 'old person stereotypes' .  And I am not looking to become 'granny grotbags' either.)

But just trying to find a nice skin that properly reflects my age.  Still attractive, realistic, etc. And good quality (like the quality you find at Not Found, Session, and Mila.)

If you have any suggestions, please let me know in your reply to this post.  Thanks in advance

Hazel

• Like 5

I don't buy skins that target looking older, but rather use tattoo layers to add details that age my avatar. I have bought lots of skin detail tats from Izzies.  Doing it this way makes it so much easier to get an avatar that doesn't look like anyone else.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I don't buy skins that target looking older, but rather use tattoo layers to add details that age my avatar. I have bought lots of skin detail tats from Izzies.  Doing it this way makes it so much easier to get an avatar that doesn't look like anyone else.  

That sounds a good idea.  Do you have a link to 'Izzies' or is that a store on marketplace?

1 hour ago, HazelEnglish said:

Hello all.  I have recently joined Second Life.  Loving it.  I've learned the basics.  And now properly starting to work on customising my Avatar.

But being the 'wrong side of 40', I am really finding it hard to find any skins that reflect my age group.  I am feeling a little bit fake/disengenous wearing a skin that looks more like a 20/30 year old.

So does anyone know any creators or stores that provide good quality 'older female' skins.  Preferably BOM.

I'm not looking to be a caricature (I’ve seen some of the 'jokey' skins, that are more like offensive 'old person stereotypes' .  And I am not looking to become 'granny grotbags' either.)

But just trying to find a nice skin that properly reflects my age.  Still attractive, realistic, etc. And good quality (like the quality you find at Not Found, Session, and Mila.)

If you have any suggestions, please let me know in your reply to this post.  Thanks in advance

Hazel

You could also look at Poema.  They do skins for older looks.  

marketplace.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, HazelEnglish said:

Hazel

I use a feature in LeLutka heads that will ad more mature shading and features.  There is definition in cheekbones and some subtle lines around the mouth area.. Which is all shader magic..  You are right about the older skins though, to me they all look like 60-70ish range.  I shoot for late 40 50 something.. Remember women at this age now do not look like our grandmothers did at this age.  No skin suggestions, as I make my own.. But good luck!

Fishing on the pier

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

I use a feature in LeLutka heads that will ad more mature shading and features.  There is definition in cheekbones and some subtle lines around the mouth area.. Which is all shader magic..  You are right about the older skins though, to me they all look like 60-70ish range.  I shoot for late 40 50 something.. Remember women at this age now do not look like our grandmothers did at this age.  No skin suggestions, as I make my own.. But good luck!

Fishing on the pier

Thank you - and great job on your Avatar.  Definitely the kind of realistic more mature style I am looking to go for.  

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 10:34 PM, Tarina Sewell said:

Fishing on the pier

I am so happy that you mentioned the mature shading feature.  I have tried over 30 heads from various creators, while they are all good, all of them made me look & feel like a 17 yo. 

I loved 17, 27, etc but I am closer to 50 than 20 would like a look in SL that doesn't have a younger face.

Edited by Claire Richelieu
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hell, I'm on the wrong side of 50! hahaha =)

I choose to make my avatar look mature and aged. Older looking skins are possible to find though. Just a matter of hunting.

My body shape is traditional (was never sold on mesh bodies) and because I use Firestorm viewer, I add layers to make up my final look. 

Snapshot_011.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2021 at 12:34 AM, Tarina Sewell said:

Fishing on the pier

Absolutely great work on your avatar.... I'm jealous! I'm jusssst the right side of 40 (37) and I wish more creators catered to the middle aged ladies... 

This thread has some great ideas... I'll certainly have to go looking at Izzies and the other link as well. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1031 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.