Unpacking HUD for only a specific Body Type

Rockridge Constantine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I would like to see if creators can create an unpack HUD where you can choose a specific body type you want to unpack  I know I seen one creator do this.  This would save having to delete all the body types that a person will never use and also cut down on inventory clutter.  Please share your thoughts on this.  Thanks.

I don't really see the cost/benefit ratio balancing for that. it's fairly trivial for the customer to just delete the bodies they don't want, but adding that feature to the unpacker adds more work for the merchant (making a thing like this that 'just works' for the merchant would be difficult, they'd have to set it up for each item they sell) and increases their CSR overhead when it inevitably fails due to some oversight.

On the other hand, did you know you can just edit the box and drag-drop from its inventory to your own? You can even pull out just the parts you want.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rockridge Constantine said:

I would like to see if creators can create an unpack HUD where you can choose a specific body type you want to unpack  I know I seen one creator do this.  This would save having to delete all the body types that a person will never use and also cut down on inventory clutter.  Please share your thoughts on this.  Thanks.

this can be done with: 

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlGiveInventoryList

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlGetSubString

loop thru contents, find item by partial name match using llGetSubString, add found item to list. give list with llGiveInventoryList

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

this can be done with: 

you would also want a hard-coded list of substrings to look for (a list of all possible body names a merchant could conceivably provide for) and short names less than 12 characters long to put on the dialog box, that still make sense to the customer. you also need to take special care that different bodies by the same vendor aren't confused with eachother ('Maitreya' and 'Maitreya perky' for example) (bonus points for having a menuing system if there are more than 12 options) If a merchant is going to use this they will want to just drop their items in the box along with the script and expect it to magically work.

10 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

I think llSubStringIndex might be more useful in this case.

Edited by Quistessa
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rockridge Constantine said:

Yes, I just bought something that had this "feature" and I HATE IT. I do not delete any copies of other bodies in case I might want to change bodies. So now I have to keep the original box AND the one I unpacked for my specific body and you can't tell the difference. HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT! Did I mention I hate it?  I suppose now I'll have to have a specific folder to house these specific items. Sigh....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Quistessa said:

I think llSubStringIndex might be more useful in this case.

it depends on our naming convention. Typically we use the same convention for all our products. Example:

store name item name HUD
store name item name mai lara
store name item name mai petite
store name item name hourglass
store name item name isis
store name item name legacy
store name item name belleza

with this convention, borrowing from the ubiquitous classic multi-texture box unpacker, partial match end of string

list bodies =
[ "all",  // give all
  "mai lara",
  "mai petite",
  "hourglass",
  "isis",
  "legacy",
  "belleza"
];

give(string fetch)
{
   list items;
   integer len = -llStringLength(fetch);
   integer n = llGetInventoryNumber(INVENTORY_ALL);
   while (~--n)
   {
      string name = llGetInventoryName(INVENTORY_ALL, n);
      if (name != llGetScriptName())
      {
         if (fetch == llList2String(bodies, 0) // give all
            items += [name];
         else if (llGetSubString(name, -3, -1) == "HUD") // our texture change hud, always give
            items += [name];
         else if (llGetSubString(name, len, -1) == fetch)
            items += [name];
      }
   }  
   if (llGetListLength(items)
   {
      llGiveInventoryList(
        llGetOwner(),
        llGetObjectName() + " " + fetch,
        items
      );
   }
}

// picking with dialog button then

listen(... string text, ...)
{
    give(text);
}

the 'give all' button caters for the situation that Sam1 raises

Edited by Mollymews
typs gah
  • Like 2

Made a HUD for that a while ago. Attach HUD, click body type, and get a folder with the body specific clothes.

I personalty don't mind getting all in one box since i move all my outfits to other folders anyways and ones i have unpacked the original i tend to never look at it again.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Quistessa said:

you would also want a hard-coded list of substrings to look for (a list of all possible body names a merchant could conceivably provide for) and short names less than 12 characters long to put on the dialog box, that still make sense to the customer. you also need to take special care that different bodies by the same vendor aren't confused with eachother ('Maitreya' and 'Maitreya perky' for example) (bonus points for having a menuing system if there are more than 12 options) If a merchant is going to use this they will want to just drop their items in the box along with the script and expect it to magically work.

Plus, sometimes there are things in the box that don't say "Maitreya" but that I want to keep. If there are shoes, yeah, they'll usually say the body name too. But sometimes there's matching jewelry or a hat or something that doesn't specify a body.

• Like 1

Great comments so far.  Like I said, I do know one or two creators that do create a HUD that lets you unpack a specific body.  Obviously if you want to keep all the body types that is your own preference.  Keep in mind that not everyone changes or has need of the other body types.  If you think you may need the others then perhaps use redelivery or save the original HUD.

As for the technical coding aspects of creating such a HUD, I am not familiar with that.  I just offered this as an idea/suggestion.

Thanks. :)

I have to agree with Sam on this one. As a self admitted shop-a-holic I would hate this.

giphy.gif

There are times where I have a lot of problems with getting textures to render quickly depending on my connection or where I'm at when I'm unpacking it. I personally love the unpacking system where I can just add it, immediately get the folder and it detaches itself. Now that is convenience to me! Also I'm wondering how many people realistically delete all the other body type items, especially women, given how many options there are? I'm not sure how it is with Men's items. I know Molly mentioned the option to "give all" but still doesn't solve my slow render issues. Why would I want to delete anything and then possibly have to go out of my way to do the redelivery if I change my mind later when I can already have it ready to go? Honestly, you're going to spend the time to delete the original box anyways so what's a few extra clicks? I usually go immediately to my Recent Tab, Open the item, delete the box and, depending on how many packages I'm opening in one sitting, place it in a Folder I reserve for my unsorted items. If you're already deleting the box, all you have to do is open the new folder, hold control and select the other things along with the packed box to delete them all at once. Where is the inconvenience in this? Unless you never delete the unpacked box, in which case....your objects folder must be packed! Hehe. Although, I can't really talk since I get super paranoid when it comes to expensive things or items I really like. I tend to keep the original box just in case LL screws me and my unpacked items go missing. It's happened before and really ticked me off. This happened before the redelivery system really took off but I'm still so traumatized that I don't think I'll ever drop the habit.

/me walks into the meeting, "Hi. I'm Kaylena and a second life hoarder." 😆

giphy.gif

Edited by KaylenaMaria Destiny
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.