Best small houses?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

17 minutes ago, FreshlyBaked247 said:

Can anyone give me landmarks or names of good qaulity small houses that i can use for a small homestead?

Not entirely sure how small you mean, but here goes: tarte, hive, +ILO+, haikei.. maybe Concept}

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FreshlyBaked247 said:

Can anyone give me landmarks or names of good qaulity small houses that i can use for a small homestead?

Homestead or just a parcel?  Homesteads are the same size as full regions.

For a small parcel, I like Hisa.

• Like 1

For tiny houses I love the Etienne cottage from Trompe Loeil. It's in a gacha machine in the main store. Pro-tip, if you get the white one, stop right there. It's mod so you can tint it to any colour. 

200930_003.thumb.jpg.2cef52b4a2c4df00ee3d9332917f1c20.jpg

It looks tiny but I managed to fit a living room, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom into it. (The covered patio next to it in the pic is not included).

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Maitimo said:

, if you get the white one, stop right there. It's mod so you can tint it to any colour.

I also love those... and if people already have, for example. the LL houseboat textures, with some fiddling all can be used

many of the (older) Trompe cottages and houses are suitable, think most are in the rezzers now, not longer in the show zone. The newer ones are not really of my liking.

Edited by Alwin Alcott

13 hours ago, FreshlyBaked247 said:

I do not see houses at some of theise only furniture

Here are some pics and landmarks. Also, if you go into your viewer's World menu and look at Parcel Details, you will know what area you are working with (or right-click the floor of your land and select from the menu). This can help you choose the right size of your house.

Llorisen : http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Cosmos/58/126/21

Scarlet Creative (houses range in size) : http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Scarlet Creative/63/42/22

tarte : http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/tarte/157/114/23

133377486_01tarte.thumb.JPG.c65c44a70aff27043ed734bb97fb7b1c.JPG

hive : http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/hive/133/111/26

At the entrance, click on BUILDS to teleport within the store.

1215752586_02hive.thumb.jpg.144b56eac97909b4839e8681461c1195.jpg

+ILO+ : http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Maia/170/158/701

Not much there, but when you said small, this came to mind.

980750038_03ilo.JPG.3b5ff4be5712325614eaa42e8f9d967c.JPG

HAIKEI : http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/LoveCats/113/138/3012

Take the stairs to your left when you first land, and go to the second floor.

2638247_04haikei.thumb.jpg.6a18c876596fb0a971f28b45f07a53b8.jpg

Concept} : http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sky Line/186/89/21

There are builds/houses scattered all over the place, and some are small but I don't remember there being any 2 bedroom ones.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, FreshlyBaked247 said:

those are actually too small. We want a two bedroom house just not a huge one to fit our homestead. we looked at maven and inverse

Aww, sorry to hear that. I know I left a gap in the medium/small range in my product range when I quit building houses. I've been meaning to fill it but I've been too busy working on plants ever since.

Anyway, there are three four makers of medium- sized houses I know I would be happy to allow on my land: Pamela Galli (La Galleria), Alex bader (Skye), Charlotte Bartlet (Scarlet Creative) and Chic Aeon. There are other good makers too of course but those are the ones I know always deliver excellent quality houses.

Edited by ChinRey

Honestly, small is pretty relative if we're comparing them to Maven and Inverse, because those houses are MONSTERS. That being said, I'll still try to suggest some smaller houses that haven't been mentioned yet:

@Dorian Meredith has some lovely, low land-impact, smaller homes at her store By Dorian.

NOMAD also has some low impact homes.

Diamandis is another option for low-impact,  modern homes, on top of the previously mentioned Trompe. You can also drive segways around here on your tours, so that's always fun.

I feel a little bit bad for saying this but there are some names that have been recommended here I wouldn't want anywhere near my own land. They are all great designers (and nice people, at least the ones I've met) but some of them are not up to the technical standards I think we all should aspire to.

I'm not going to mention names of course but the golden rule is always to check the house before you buy. Do not trust the pictures on MP only.

Three things to check:

1. LOD

You do not want the outer walls of the hosue to collpase so neighbors and people passing by can see right into your house! Set your LoD factor no higher than 2 - I'd recommend 1 myself - even if you're happy with loading down your viewer with a higher LoD factor. This is about how others see your house, not how you see it yourself:

bilde.png.74c98442291b9d0d495ff48c0ca27fef.png

Look at the house from about 100 m distance. Are the walls still solid or have they collapsed?

This is the minimum requirements for an SL house. Ideally you want it to lok good at any distance too of course but that's up to you. Collapsed outer walls however, those are a major issue.

2. Display cost

Right click on the house and select edit. Click on the "More info" link and look at the display weight:

bilde.thumb.png.a627d529f7029fcd62cd632ca4ad6fae.png

This is an estimate how much work it is for your gpu to render the house. For a medium- sized two room house it should ideally be less than 20,000 and definitely not higher than 50,000.

3. VRAM

This is how much textures the house uses and that's another significant lag factor. Right-click on it and select "Inspect" in the "Objects" submenu:

bilde.png.e8951079982479aa31e07ee7fecbbd01.png

Coincidentally, the numbers you want here are about the same as for dirplay weight: less than 20,000 is good, 20,000-50,000 is probably acceptable, more than 50,000 is not good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• 3 weeks later...

Try Trompe L'oeil and/or  Barnesworth Anubis. They've been making houses for a very long time and have lots of medium and small houses to chose from. My current house is one from Barnesworth Anubis and it allows me lots of room for a yard on a small 2048 plot. He makes bigger and smaller ones. 

Snapshot_002.png.50aa1ca01af51d555756e7c336afeebd.png

Snapshot_003.png.81ee1dcc59bc5c6c20832c050b218c61.png

Edited by Ingrid Ingersoll
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.