So aliens are real.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1020 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

If an alien civilization had the technology to travel here at will, or close enough as makes no difference, we either wouldn't see them at all or they would have overrun and conquered the planet almost immediately a long time ago.

Edited by Chroma Starlight

12 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

As you know, the intelligence and technological prowess required to visit us from afar is significantly beyond anything we currently comprehend. That argues against cat and mouse games, as cats and mice are fairly matched in intellect and technology.

As you know, I don't really know very much, at least about aliens.  That leaves me free to throw all sorts of straw men into discussions like this, especially since hardly anyone else knows much about aliens either.  For example, much of the speculation assumes that aliens are visiting us "from afar" and therefore need technology that is vastly superior to ours. As @Love Zhaoying suggests, though, aliens might not be far from home at all.  They might have been here all along, cleverly disguised as CoVid-19 viruses, waiting their chance to interbreed with our genes.  The occasional strange lights in the sky have been nothing more than slight of hand to keep us from recognizing the real aliens.  

The point, of course, is that silly discussions of advanced technology and imagined aliens can take off in any direction we want, as long as we are unconstrained by credible observations.  That's what makes science fiction such fun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

As you know, I don't really know very much, at least about aliens.  That leaves me free to throw all sorts of straw men into discussions like this, especially since hardly anyone else knows much about aliens either.  For example, much of the speculation assumes that aliens are visiting us "from afar" and therefore need technology that is vastly superior to ours. As @Love Zhaoying suggests, though, aliens might not be far from home at all.  They might have been here all along, cleverly disguised as CoVid-19 viruses, waiting their chance to interbreed with our genes.  The occasional strange lights in the sky have been nothing more than slight of hand to keep us from recognizing the real aliens.  

The point, of course, is that silly discussions of advanced technology and imagined aliens can take off in any direction we want, as long as we are unconstrained by credible observations.  That's what makes science fiction such fun.

Imagined sci-fi aliens, whether from afar or within, usually seem to possess intention (Andromeda Strain springs to mind as a rare counterexample). Villainous or virtuous aliens are certainly fun to contemplate, but I wonder if probability doesn't argue against intention in any encounters we might have, regardless of the degree of intelligence.

Humanity's propensity for silly discussions can explain a lot of things.

ETA: Science fact has always been a far richer source of interesting ideas for me than science fiction. Nature's imagination is more vivid than mine.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Ok, that's not ALL I'm saying.

We always try to compare extraterrestrial technology to what WE know is possible.   

We as humans, learn new things all the time.  To somehow think that we are the most advanced civilization in this or any universe is just...I can't find the right word.  Egotistical?

As I mentioned early in this thread, I sure hope we aren't the most advanced/intelligent creatures in the vastness of space.  THAT would be scary.

I believe arrogant is the word you are looking for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

If an alien civilization had the technology to travel here at will, or close enough as makes no difference, we either wouldn't see them at all or they would have overrun and conquered the planet almost immediately a long time ago.

Maybe they already did.
Have a closer look at the alien jaws of ants.*

* Information provided by the Ministry Of Total Nonsense.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

How do you know they're observing advanced technology and not malfunctions in systems comprised of machines and... people? Why would aliens not be observed by the vastly larger commercial and private aviation populations, or people on the ground? Remember that the planet is blanketed by air-traffic-control and doppler weather radar systems in 24/7 operation. There are also millions of backyard skywatchers around the globe, who find most of the comets and asteroids we know about today. Why don't they spot UFOs?

Why do UFO sightings have a lagging correlation with pop culture UFO depictions? How could aliens be so smart that they do all these things, but so stupid they haven't advanced their technology in the 74 years since the Roswell incident?

If you plotted a trend line of UFO accounts against the progress of sensing technology (I'm looking for such a graph), I suspect you'd find that, the better our detection technology becomes, the fewer sightings there are.

The report states they haven’t looked at FAA or USAF reporting but they will be. They probably haven’t looked at NASA data either. The report also says they can’t relay on non-military observers, skywatchers, because they’re unreliable. In terms of equipment error they can’t have 144 cases of errors. That’s why they mentioned multiple sensors. A pilot might say they saw something and their radar and weapon camera would show the same thing.

The ufo tech not advancing is an even better indicator that it’s not human technology. No human military, scientific, industrial organization would behave that way.

As for detection, the reason why they started gathering from 2004 is because jet cameras couldn’t move fast enough to track the UAPs. The pilot would report it but the camera did not verify. I’d say with better detection technology we see more reliable data. UFOs have moved from blind faith to solid factual evidence. 

1 hour ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

"Conquer" seems to limit our thinking, doesn't it, Lyssa? I "conquer" countless organisms when I bathe. Seemingly mindless organisms "conquer" us all the time. Just as we might not be aware of them, they might not be aware of us.

There must be a better word for what could very well be unintentional ignorance resulting in obliteration.

• Like 1

Just now, Madelaine McMasters said:

"Conquer" seems to limit our thinking, doesn't it, Lyssa? I "conquer" countless organisms when I bathe. Seemingly mindless organisms "conquer" us all the time. Just as we might not be aware of them, they might not be aware of us.

There must be a better word for what could very well be unintentional ignorance resulting in obliteration.

What better way to wipe out one virus than by using another virus.

Our universe planet working as intended.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

They outnumber us!

6 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Like a bored schoolboy kicking into an anthill?  Maybe something like "indolent genocide"?  That has a sinister but totally oblivious feel to it. Not as purposeful as exterminating the passenger pigeon, but with as little thought to the outcome.

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

Like a bored schoolboy kicking into an anthill?  Maybe something like "indolent genocide"?  That has a sinister but totally oblivious feel to it. Not as purposeful as exterminating the passenger pigeon, but with as little thought to the outcome.

That's closer, but the schoolboy knew it was an anthill he was kicking. Obliteration isn't really needed, either. Aliens might neither notice nor harm us.

Imagine they have a timescale vastly different than ours. A three second UFO encounter starts with some alien civilization's first foray into our universe and ends, three seconds later with a loss of interest after what to them was a year of exploring a motionless ball in space that never changes.

Or maybe our three second UFO encounter is the result of alien cloud chamber experiment in which we seem to them as a particle appearing from nowhere and vanishing back into it a nanosecond later.

Neither of those scenarios seems promising for a blockbuster. After a five second pre-roll commercial, viewers will be peeved by a three second movie.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I've always imagined earth to be like Whoville in Horton Hears a Who.   We're mere!y a speck of dust in the vast universe with beings out there larger and wiser than us.

At least, I kind of hope so.

I typed and then removed a reference to Horton in my previous reply to Rolig. It was a favorite childhood book Dad often read to me. He was never content to leave stories alone, so I was always anxious to see what new things he would imagine. He knocked it out of the park one evening when he added a new resident to Whoville, who's name was...

Horton.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

As I mentioned early in this thread, I sure hope we aren't the most advanced/intelligent creatures in the vastness of space.  THAT would be scary.

One thing (the only thing?) we can claim for certain is that unless our understanding of Einsteinian relativity is wrong, we are at the oldest (observable) spot in the universe. (The light images we can see took time to get here, ergo they are older than we are now.)

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I concur!

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1020 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.