So aliens are real.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 992 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Haha yes. There's plenty of his content on youtube. I don't think I would need to play a game to get my Alan Watts fix.

Honestly when I read "Everything" I thought you were referring to this song at first.

Edited by Finite
  • Like 1

I have never believed we have been visited by aliens from another world.

I base this belief on some somewhat scientific thought. 

1. Space is big.  Very very big.  So big that IF a craft could travel at the speed of light it would take 5 years to get here from Alpha Centauri (nearest star system to us) .   The nearest star that MIGHT have potential planets in its "goldilocks" zone is  Epsilon Eridani, a hefty 10.52 LY from Earth.  That's 10.5 years of travel time in light speed.   It highly likely the the nearest habitable planet from us is much further than that.  

Point being that space travel to and from the stars is and will be very difficult.

2. Faster than light travel (FTL) .  The only way to travel the stars at a speed that is conducive to exploration would be to go FTL.   This is impossible according to Einstein who said if you achieve light speed you become light, therefor annihilated.  There are theories about going FTL in science and science fiction. "Hyperspace" (Star Wars)  is used a lot but as far as I know has no basis in science. This is going to "another space" either in the multiverse (another argument all together) of something yet to be defined.  The "warp" drive of Star Trek. It's actually got some legs as Alcubierre theorized this decades ago. Technology being the issue.   

Bottom line FTL is theoretically improbable.

Generation ships (Firefly). Crafts that go well below the speed of light.  The craft leaves a planet and  generations later arrive here on Earth.  Plausible but not effective.  

3. Logic

Part A- People say that aliens have been here for millenia. Pointing out example in the Bible or other long lived tomes.  The Old Testament is said to date from about 4000BC.  And people say there are things in this book that point to alien visitation.  So........ for 6021 years aliens have been just hanging around?  I don't think so. 

There are really only 2 reasons aliens would come to Earth. Benevolence. They come here to help Earth move on to better life. Conquer. We have something they want or need. I can't see 6000 years of curiosity to be logical or efficient. Any being capable of coming here would, by reason, be far more technologically advanced than us

Part B- Universe.  Depending on if you believe in Biblical creation (Earth is 6117 years) or science (13 billion years) I find it difficult to accept that another world could have come any closer to solving the major problems of traveling the stars of the Galaxy.       

Sorry about my treatice.  I get long-winded sometimes.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Finite said:

Yes Ive always wondered why preys run from predators. Are they fearing death or do they just want to survive? I think the point I was making was life just wants to survive. It doesn't require us living forever to do this nor would it require us to kill other lifeforms in order to live if it had an issue or concern with death.

Thinking about it some more I am realizing that because death is outside of the experience until that point is reached, the struggle is more about the fear of the pain that is often involved for the prey. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Thinking about it some more I am realizing that because death is outside of the experience until that point is reached, the struggle is more about the fear of the pain that is often involved for the prey. 

Yes I can see that but animals will also endure pain to free themselves from a trap or when stuck. They'll even bite off their own limbs in some cases. Also, drowning is painless but people and animals who can hold their breath will hold their breath even though they are causing their own suffering in doing so.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Doris Johnsky said:

I have never believed we have been visited by aliens from another world.

Nor have I.

I don't need to get deep into the science to see absurdity in the notion of alien visitations in the manner so often described.

Our own civilization weaponizes power as fast as it discovers it. We first killed humans with nuclear energy 76 years ago and still can't make great use of it peacefully. As others have opined, we'd kill each other long before completing a generation's long space voyage. The biggest challenge in getting people to Mars and back is psychology, not physics. That can't go on forever

So, I reason that any society able to work together to achieve something as difficult as interstellar travel must have either overcome any destructive nature or never had it in the first place. Either way, I think aliens who make it here might be more civil and understanding than we are, and their arrival would be possibly the best news humanity has ever received. They'd represent the promise of our future.

If I want to take a darker view, we won't be visited so much as accidentally stepped on by others so fantastically powerful and intelligent that we don't register on their meters.

I simply can't imagine alien creatures so intelligent and powerful they can come here to play cat-and-mouse games with the US military wanting to play cat-and-mouse games with the US military. That idea just seems to insult their intelligence and overestimate ours.

• Like 5

• Moles
1 hour ago, Finite said:

Yes Ive always wondered why preys run from predators. Are they fearing death or do they just want to survive? I think the point I was making was life just wants to survive. It doesn't require us living forever to do this nor would it require us to kill other lifeforms in order to live if it had an issue or concern with death.

Evolution, I'd have thought, since prey animals that react to the predators by taking effective evasive action of whatever sort are going to survive to reproduce, and have offspring that survive to reproduce, in greater numbers than other members of the same species who can't run so fast, or hide so well.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Quartz Mole said:

Evolution, I'd have thought, since prey animals that react to the predators by taking effective evasive action of whatever sort are going to survive to reproduce, and have offspring that survive to reproduce, in greater numbers than other members of the same species who can't run so fast, or hide so well.

Oh, those selfish genes.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Even if long-lived creatures as intelligent as elephants and chimpanzees do recognize that the dead are gone for good, they may not recognize that death eventually will come for all, a knowledge that may be solely human.

I do think humans are the only ones who contemplate their own death.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

On 5/28/2021 at 12:32 AM, Ceka Cianci said:

The best conspiracy is the one right in our faces.. I believe the aliens are here and we have most all seen them..

Some may get excited by this ,while others will feel nothing but horror..

hehehe

... looks for a child-proof jar to stuff you in.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

How to ruin a happy ape's life in the name of science.

You were watching the Onion network, started at my Alma Mater.  You guys are so gullible.

The Onion is an American satirical digital media company and newspaper organization that publishes articles on international, national, and local news. The company is based in Chicago but originated as a weekly print publication on August 29, 1988 in Madison, Wisconsin.[1] The Onion began publishing online in early 1996. In 2007, they began publishing satirical news audio and video online as the Onion News Network. In 2013, The Onion ceased publishing its print edition and launched Onion Labs, an advertising agency.[3][4]

The Onion's articles cover current events, both real and fictional, parodying the tone and format of traditional news organizations with stories, editorials, and man-on-the-street interviews using a traditional news website layout and an editorial voice modeled after that of the Associated Press. The publication's humor often depends on presenting mundane, everyday events as newsworthy, surreal, or alarming, such as "Rotation Of Earth Plunges Entire North American Continent Into Darkness".[5] In 1999, comedian Bob Odenkirk praised the publication as "the best comedy writing in the country".[6]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

The Onion's articles cover current events, both real and fictional, parodying the tone and format of traditional news organizations

That's how it used to be. It's the other way round now. ;)

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 11:56 AM, Bree Giffen said:

But news media around the world have started reporting about it. The evidence is from US Airforce pilots who are a fairly reliable non-conspiratorial group of people. They have a lot of recent footage too. It’s probably the highest amount of serious talk about UFOs that has ever happened. I’m not a UFO nut and I can’t blow off the information as crazy talk any longer. 

My dad, who was a thoughtfuI and reasonabIe man, worked for the Canadian Air Force aII of his Iife.  He said that over the years, he knew severaI jet piIots had seen things that they couId not expIain.  This was back in the 60's and 70's.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jaylinbridges said:

The Onion's articles cover current events, both real and fictional, parodying the tone and format of traditional news organizations with stories, editorials, and man-on-the-street interviews using a traditional news website layout and an editorial voice modeled after that of the Associated Press.

Before The Onion** was National Lampoon, a national  magazine and radio show. Members of the original SNL cast were heavily involved in its production.

Catching up now is The Bee (parody stuff} and lately Not the Bee, a site that take facts that by all means should be parody but isn't.

**Some news outlets would take The Onion as gospel and report as fact without vetting the source.

220px-Natlamp73.jpg

Edited by Chassie Rowley
deleted unrelated information.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Chassie Rowley said:

Before The Onion** was National Lampoon, a national  magazine and radio show. Members of the original SNL cast were heavily involved in its production.

Catching up now is The Bee (parody stuff} and lately Not the Bee, a site that take facts that by all means should be parody but isn't.

**Some news outlets would take The Onion as gospel and report as fact without vetting the source.

220px-Natlamp73.jpg

National Lampoon

Rolling Stones

Easy Riders

Mad

High Times

Heavy Metal

Omni

Whole Earth Catalog

Just to name a few off the top of my head that I used to read back when they were still worth reading.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Thanks 1

Whoa!

We have a few facts. They sum up to, "People have seen things they can't explain". This includes things seen by eye, and/or by various sensors and imaging systems.

To jump from that to "There Are Aliens Among Us" is, as Mr. Spock would say, illogical.

There are many possible explanations for what has been seen. Investigating and analyzing these phenomena are certainly warranted.

But I don't think it's aliens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chroma Starlight said:
On 5/26/2021 at 2:33 PM, Istelathis said:

If aliens really existed, and the government knew about and unleased all of their evidence, I would expect more than blurry pictures and accounts from pilots. 

https://www.cia.gov/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP96-00788R001700210016-5.pdf

Great article!   Still reading..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chroma Starlight said:

Were Dad still alive, that would give him a good chuckle. I can't recall all his stories of the screwy beliefs that circulated through the military during his tenure. "Military intelligence" was his favorite example of an oxymoron. When you learn that the Annapolis Naval Academy graduated an officer who thought it both possible and daring to roll a submarine, you recalibrate your expectations for rationality from our intelligence forces and military.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 992 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.