So aliens are real.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 993 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

22 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Maybe we'll never know why there is death, if there is a reason.

Death just seems to be a part of life and so I trust it.

My 2 cents:

If there was no life cycle, nature would not improve.
There would be no struggle for life and even more important no survival of the fittest.
Improvements arise because of small faults in the passing on and mixing of genes into a new life.
If new life is created, than old life has to disappear somehow: death is an obvious solution for that.

God is a very smart and bright entity. It was all coded already before the big bang. The first new years firework.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

If there was no life cycle, nature would not improve.

Yes that's my thought too...that life 'wants' to become something more, and not just produce more of the same in great quantities.

Dying and then new life combined from 2 sources (male,female) achieves this well.

Edited by Luna Bliss

37 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Why don't you point out why we start dying since from the time we are born, the body and mind age and mature until we reach our prime. What breaks down after that point that cells are no longer regenerated properly? Why after billions of years of evolution, does that continue for all life forms when it is the number one aspect that would determine the fittest. The more years we live, the more descendants one could produce.

ps. Didn't you say in another thread that cells in a culture were potentially immortal?

The discussion is about theorized extraterrestrial civilizations. I see no need to explain ours, it's here.

Why would immortals need or want descendants? In a finite capacity environment, recycling is better suited for experimentation and advancement. If your imagined reproduction offers advantages, it will compete with immortality, eventually using death as a way to increase the reproduction rate without exhausting available resources. And there's your explanation for why we have death on Earth.

I did say that some human cell lines are immortal. That's quite convenient if you're culturing something and quite a hassle if you have them inside your body. We have a name for that.

Cancer.

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Yeah, but then you and I are locked in an endless "my telomeres can beat up your telomeres" struggle.

Faced with that, everybody I know would chose death.

Wait Maddie you’ll probably win... you’ll set me on fire 🔥 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Why did life evolve in a way wherein we get old and eventually die?

Death is an essential part of evolution. The old generation passes away, while those members of the new generation who have advantageous trait are more likely to survive and carry forth that advantage, Eventually the whole population has the advantage, but without death, the advantage never becomes the norm and there is no progress.

• Like 3

Is life really that great, to want to live forever?
So far life has been a meaningful experience for me, but forever is awfully long.

I wouldn't volunteer for such feature.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Consider that even from a biological perspective that life as we know and mostly understand it, has some "unnatural" aspects to it, starting with this thing called death. Why did life evolve in a way wherein we get old and eventually die? Wouldn't or shouldn't evolution have selected those whose cells continually regenerate to live forever? That capacity does exist.

There are very good reasons why aging can be beneficial for a species. Explanation starts around the 16 minute mark:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/heavens-design-team/episode-10-idea-10-801449

2 minutes ago, BiliEyelash said:

From that site

It is the chemistry of carbon that allows us to consider the possibility of life "as we know it"

But we don't know everything. 🤔. And why that is in quotations.

4 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Consider that even from a biological perspective that life as we know and mostly understand it, has some "unnatural" aspects to it, starting with this thing called death. Why did life evolve in a way wherein we get old and eventually die? Wouldn't or shouldn't evolution have selected those whose cells continually regenerate to live forever? That capacity does exist.

A life form such as that between being immortal and a capacity for epigenetics could theoretically evolve to where we are now physically and intellectually in a lot shorter time than what it has taken us.

I don't think life considers death. It just wants to live and spread and seeks any method how. Us as individual living beings don't have to be immune to death for this to happen. Life as a whole always finds a way no matter the circumstances. We are just along for the ride. We live off oxygen and water. Two things that also speed up our aging process. We also need to kill other living things whether plants or animals to survive. We even kill other people. Why even start with carbon based life forms if this is the ultimate end? Probably because life doesn't care about death. Eventually it'll be all part of some dust cloud floating around in space that will collapse into another star system that will spring more life. So maybe life is actually eternal.

(Sorry I have a habit lately of falling asleep listening to Alan Watts)

Edited by Finite

15 minutes ago, Finite said:

I don't think life considers death.

If life did not consider death, it would not have needed to evolve the various defense mechanisms that keep it operating. Off hand I cannot think of a life form that does not struggle until it's last breath to continue living. We may understand that death will one day come, but it always in the tomorrow.

A life form that has no death, would not need to waste so much energy on its continuation of life.

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

If life did not consider death, it would not have needed to evolve the various defense mechanisms that keep it operating. Off hand I cannot think of a life form that does not struggle until it's last breath to continue living. We may understand that death will one day come, but it always in the tomorrow.

A life form that has no death, would not need to waste so much energy on its continuation of life.

Yes Ive always wondered why preys run from predators. Are they fearing death or do they just want to survive? I think the point I was making was life just wants to survive. It doesn't require us living forever to do this nor would it require us to kill other lifeforms in order to live if it had an issue or concern with death.

Edited by Finite
  • Thanks 1

Even if long-lived creatures as intelligent as elephants and chimpanzees do recognize that the dead are gone for good, they may not recognize that death eventually will come for all, a knowledge that may be solely human.

I do think humans are the only ones who contemplate their own death.  Struggling to stay alive/survive isn't the same has knowing you are going to die someday.  It's instinct for survival that kicks in for that prey animal not an "OMG, I'm going to die" thought.  I don't see them as the same thing at all.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 993 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.