How do you feel about unisex public restrooms?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1058 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Istelathis said:

Mine is kind of boring, and will not be winning any awards.  

smallSnapshot_024.png.55bb42157361fab91754413690b27793.png

You got the same bath as me, except I detached the curtain cos I got fed up of clicking on it by mistake and ending up in the bath.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

You got the same bath as me, except I detached the curtain cos I got fed up of clicking on it by mistake and ending up in the bath.

I thought those bubbles looked familiar 🙃🤣  I think I changed the alpha level on mine a while ago. 

1 hour ago, Jordan Whitt said:

We have the right to be safe when we use the bathroom.

Yes, yes you do. What you haven't demonstrated, and almost certainly can't, is that trans women represent a statistically significant threat to your safety. As Lewis has pointed out, you are vastly more likely to be assaulted in your own living room, bedroom, or just about anywhere else. And cis gendered males are vastly more likely to be a threat. Do you think we should ban them from public and private spaces?

We have the right to compete in sports against other genetic women.

Why?

And define "genetic women" -- it's a lot more problematic than you probably think.

We have the right to be called "women", without having some newfangeled madeup term tacked to the front of it.

If there is a jurisdiction anywhere in the world that is trying to prevent you from doing so, I've yet to hear of it.

We have the right to be able to voice our concerns and stand up for our rights without being labelled "phobes" and "terfs".

That, it seems to me, rather depends on whether what you've said is transphobic or not.

It's rather special snowflake-y of you to insist that people don't have the right to say negative things about you, surely? If you feel that you're not transphobic, or that what you've said doesn't fall into that category, then demonstrate why it is not.

Sorry, but you don't get to restrict someone's right to freedom of expression (which you yourself are exercising here by suggesting that trans women represent a serious threat to women's safety) merely because being called a "phobe" or "TERF" hurts your feelings.

We have the right to be women.

Again, who is stopping you?

The fact that there are other people who also demand the right to be women in no way impinges on your right to be so.

(An aside: why is it that, so often, demands for rights really boil down to take someone else's away? Just a question.)

As for the Twitter vomit you posted . . .

Surely the best solution is to ban the taking of selfies, carrying of swords, and various forms of s*xual assault from washrooms? Or maybe just public spaces, generally?

Rather than banning people, and stomping on their rights because you some how feel that these cheapen your own?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

Assault in public bathrooms is rare, much rarer than assault in private homes, on the street, in bars etc. Segregating men and women in a bathroom on the grounds of safety makes no sense unless you are also segregating them everywhere else too.

If it's about "what you might see" then the solution is stalls, which all bathrooms already have. If you don't want anyone to see what you have, or if you don't want to see what other people have, simply don't use a bathroom with urinals in it. Which most unisex bathrooms don't have anyway.

And really, the bathroom debate has never really been about assault or safety. It's always been solely about one thing only - making trans women disappear. 

All a trans person asks for is to be accepted as the gender that they present. So naturally they prefer to use the bathroom that matches that gender.
But sometimes that’s not always possible or safe. Many times during my early transition I would switch bathrooms depending on the location, whether I felt confident that I was “passing” etc. So I might use both men's and women's on subsequent days, or even on different occasions on the same day. My ability to choose, which is protected by my rights as a British citizen, was extremely valuable to my sense of safety and wellbeing. 

What annoys me most about the situation in the US is the hypocrisy of it all. Take a trans man for example:

IMG_2441.png.e1a5dfa6e195362662230053b1e588cd.png 

That's me, btw.  When I walk into the men's room no-one bats an eye. I wouldn’t be challenged or threatened. But a trans woman in a women's room is at risk just because she doesn’t look like a Stepford Wife; she doesn’t match the narrow conservative idea of what a woman should look like. Even cisgender women are getting threatened in women's bathrooms because they look like this:

1492273870_notastepfordwife.png.c0d0ada90bb99e3b7c406771b0e32593.png

Now here’s the thing, and this I think is why the situation is unbalanced and targets only trans women.

Homophobia.

Some men are terrified that they’ll see a woman, fancy her, and then find out that she was born a man because they think that it makes them gay.  Their solution to this problem is to make trans women disappear altogether. Trans men are excluded from the debate because those conservative cis men never fancy us anyway.

The bathroom laws in the US are a method of getting trans women to disappear. If they’re never allowed to use the women's bathroom, they’re going to have to use the men's. And if they’re going to have to use the men's, they’re going to have to dress as men in order to not be at risk of violence. Hence, they disappear.

Just remember, if you want all trans people to use the bathroom that matches their birth gender only, then you're asking for your daughter to share a bathroom with me. And with him:

Awesome-Look-By-Buck-Angel.jpg

Mic drop.

Thank you, Lewis, for your eloquence and passion and rationality.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

people of one gender may not like sharing rest rooms with those of another gender

It's a completely blow-up first world problem created by certain types of news media (i) to keep their audience infuriated to make sure they'll be coming back for more, and (ii) to make sure they'll keep voting for political parties that will benefit the people making money off these media.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Greetings, All!

Before this gets worse, the thread has been locked. 

While the Community Participation Guidelines allows for non Second Life Discussions, there are some topics that should really not be discussed on these forums; Religion, Politics, and now public bathrooms. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1058 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.