Kupra Body & Not Found Skin Shape - How to wear both?

HazelEnglish

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all.  I am newish, and my first post, and so please excuse my 'noobness' if this is a ridiculously simple question?

But I am just starting to build my own Avatar, having been wearing the default 'Bitsy' for a months while I get to grips with the very basics of SL.

Anyway - I am trying the KUPRA body, and the Skinny Shape that it comes with (and the Toffee Body Skin option).  I am using a GENUS Free head for now (with BOM turned on and my alphas deleted).  And I have today been browsing the NOT FOUND stored for skins for GENUS. 

And with each Not Found Demo is a BOM Skin (which I can add no problem), A Not Found Brow (again I can add no Problem) and a Not Found shape for that particular skin.  But when I wear that shape, it gives my face the exact same look as the DEMO advert picture (which is what I want) , but it also then changes my KUPRA Body Shape to something looking ridiculous. 

I then tried adding the KUPRA body shape back, and that returns my body shape to normal/what it was before, but then the face shape no longer looks like it does in the NOT FOUND DEMO.

Am I doing something wrong?  How can you wear a SKIN shape for a face/head, but not have it at the same time alter your BODY shape?  Or is this just not possible?  And it is either one or the other?

And if you are buying a head skin (from somewhere like Not Found) why do they have it alter your body shape anyway?

If anyone can help with my frustration, that would be very kind of you?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by HazelEnglish
Typo

7 minutes ago, HazelEnglish said:

Hello all.  I am newish, and my first post, and so please excuse my 'noobness' if this is a ridiculously simple question?

But I am just starting to build my own Avatar, having been wearing the default 'Bitsy' for a months while I get to grips with the very basics of SL.

Anyway - I am trying the KUPRA body, and the Skinny Shape that it comes with (and the Toffee Body Skin option).  I am using a GENUS Free head for now (with BOM turned on and my alphas deleted).  And I have today been browsing the NOT FOUND stored for skins for GENUS. 

And with each Not Found Demo is a BOM Skin (which I can add no problem), A Not Found Brow (again I can add no Problem) and a Not Found shape for that particular skin.  But when I wear that shape, it gives my face the exact same look as the DEMO advert picture (which is what I want) , but it also then changes my KUPRA Body Shape to something looking ridiculous. 

I then tried adding the KUPRA body shape back, and that returns my body shape to normal/what it was before, but then the face shape no longer looks like it does in the NOT FOUND DEMO.

Am I doing something wrong?  How can you wear a SKIN shape for a face/head, but not have it at the same time alter your BODY shape?  Or is this just not possible?  And it is either one or the other?

And if you are buying a head skin (from somewhere like Not Found) why do they have it alter your body shape anyway?

If anyone can help with my frustration, that would be very kind of you?

Thanks in advance.

A shape can not just shape a head or a body.  It shapes both.  What I do is make a notecard with all my BODY numbers.  Wear the shape that came with the head skin and edit the body with the numbers from the notecard.

Would be nice if shapes for heads and bodies were separate but they are not.

ETA.  I always begin with the shape and browbase provided with the head skin I like.  

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

A shape can not just shape a head or a body.  It shapes both.  What I do is make a notecard with all my BODY numbers.  Wear the shape that came with the head skin and edit the body with the numbers from the notecard.

Would be nice if shapes for heads and bodies were separate but they are not.

ETA.  I always begin with the shape and browbase provided with the head skin I like.  

Thanks for coming back with reply so quickly.

And yes, I'll try that.  So to clarify.  I'll make a note of all the numbers for my body in the 'Edit Appearance'.  then add the Not Found Skin, and then change back the numbers for the body to what I had noted?  (and then save that shape as a personal version?).

55 minutes ago, HazelEnglish said:

Thanks for coming back with reply so quickly.

And yes, I'll try that.  So to clarify.  I'll make a note of all the numbers for my body in the 'Edit Appearance'.  then add the Not Found Skin, and then change back the numbers for the body to what I had noted?  (and then save that shape as a personal version?).

That's exactly how I do it.

@Nalates Urriahhas a way to do it with files and such.  She may pop in to explain how to do that.  It doesn't take me more than 5 minutes to plug the body numbers into appearance which is why I use my method.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rowan is right that doing the numbers manually is pretty quick and simple.

There is a quicker way IF... you need to match a shape to several heads or different bodies. If you often need to combine shapes then there is a better way.

The basic idea is to export your shape using the Firestorm viewer. It has to be a full-perm shape. They export as XML files, which are text files you can edit. If you want the head or body shape only, just delete all the settings for the part you don't want. This is NOT like working with explosives. In this area the SL system is forgiving and there are numerous ways to recover from a mistake and starting over is easy.

The rule for editing the file is simple. Delete only whole lines of text. Each setting is on its own line/row. The description of the setting is the same in the file as it is in the viewer's Shape Edit panel.

Once you have an edited XML shape file wear the shape you want to modify. Right-click the avatar and Edit Shape. In the bottom right of the panel is an IMPORT button. It will open a file open dialog. Done. You have a new combined shape file.

I have a head shape and a body shape saved and ready for import. When demoing heads I can import my body shape to combine with their head shape. Makes it way easy to see how things will look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.