You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1054 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been many years in sl and never had any issue's considering being called out for harrassment.

So I have a question over something I've put into my profile. I used the name of said certain person who had stolen orginal content of something I created to keep people aware that this person is stealing things. it's just a name not a full explanation, Now I get bombared with pm's to take said person's name out of my profile as it's considered against the rules. Or so the they say. My question is, is it? I see nothing of the sort back in the rules or anywhere on google and most of my friends also use names into their profile. I get threats to be reported if I don't so I am asking is, how serious should I take this? I'm not a bully I'm not a mean person but I do get threatened almost as if they like to do this, They won't leave me alone even when I said to do so. I've muted every single person as I'm not here for issue's I just want this person to stop stealing orginal content and make it's own. So I said if this person does I will.

I'm a little bit confused to be honest, I never had any problems with this game until now, In my believe it's neither allowed to steal someone's content or even copy their profile, but I might be wrong

If someone has the answer then I be grateful,

~x~

If you're not being bombarded by people who actually count, I'm not sure I would worry.  

If I read your post correctly all you have a is a random name in your profile?   Not sure what that accomplishes, unless your aim is to have people ask in IM, then tell your story. 

Have you filed a report for stolen content?

Having said all that, it would probably best to remove the name, move on, and get on with your life.  

• Like 1

If somebody stole content, you have to file a dmca, if you don't it stays in the stage of pointing to somebody without any solid proof.
It's normally not allowed to shame somebody in public without proof, as it's, in many countries, also not allowed to call somebody a criminal before a judge ruled about it.
You can be reported, it's at discretion of support/ a mod how it's taken. ( they can't do anything about your claim without dmca)

• Like 2

The best thing would be to tell the creator of thus said content so they can file the appropriate paperwork and remove the item.

Naming and shaming in your profile kind of causes unnecessary drama I would of thought. 

However I don't think its harassment so much as defamation and Linden Support told me once its not defamation if its true.

Edited by JUSTUS Palianta
typonise
  • Like 2

If it's the person named in your Limits section, that is well within what is allowable.  I've also had someone basically steal everything from.my profile.  I did make mention of that fact in my profile.  Never heard a word from her or LL.

If anyone is harassing, it's them harassing you.

There is also no way to prevent them from stealing every word in your profile.  Sadly.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 3

@Rowan Amore yes that's exactly what's been happening, I did not made any drama out of it just put the name in my limits that this person is not *alive* for me anymore. Nothing else or no explanation I added. it's right under my tab limits, but I've been bombared by apparently some friends of this person that they're going to report me as it is abusive behavior and harassment??? and aginast SL rules. I can't find that anywhere tbh. This person stole every single text of mine and just switched it a bit up, I didn't make a fuss about it but I did put the person under my limits...I was just wondering how serious LL takes this, ty for you explanation it really helped me to calm down.

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

If it's the person named in your Limits section, that is well within what is allowable.  I've also had someone basically steal everything from.my profile.  I did make mention of that fact in my profile.  Never heard a word from her or LL.

If anyone is harassing, it's them harassing you.

18 minutes ago, Doris Johnsky said:

If you're not being bombarded by people who actually count, I'm not sure I would worry.  

If I read your post correctly all you have a is a random name in your profile?   Not sure what that accomplishes, unless your aim is to have people ask in IM, then tell your story. 

Have you filed a report for stolen content?

Having said all that, it would probably best to remove the name, move on, and get on with your life.  

no I did not put into extreme detail what this person did, just because for me that's a case closed, It's been there in my profile for a while and just now I get these pm's. I'm just wondering how serious LL takes this if it is reported, as it's only the name but i'm not encourging people to attack this person or bully them.

Just now, oxCalebxo said:

@Rowan Amore yes that's exactly what's been happening, I did not made any drama out of it just put the name in my limits that this person is not *alive* for me anymore. Nothing else or no explanation I added. it's right under my tab limits, but I've been bombared by apparently some friends of this person that they're going to report me as it is abusive behavior and harassment??? and aginast SL rules. I can't find that anywhere tbh. This person stole every single text of mine and just switched it a bit up, I didn't make a fuss about it but I did put the person under my limits...I was just wondering how serious LL takes this, ty for you explanation it really helped me to calm down.

It's not against the rules for them to steal it as it's public.  It's also not against the rules for you to post what you did in regards to it.  If you want to avoid drama, take it out.  If you don't care, leave it in.  I've left mine in for probably 5 years now.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

The best thing would be to tell the creator of thus said content so they can file the appropriate paperwork and remove the item.

Naming and shaming in your profile kind of causes unnecessary drama I would of thought. 

However I don't think its harassment so much as defamation and Linden Support told me once its not defamation if its true.

ty for your reply. I just wanted to know how serious this would been taken or that I worry for nothing. :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, oxCalebxo said:

I've been many years in sl and never had any issue's considering being called out for harrassment.

So I have a question over something I've put into my profile. I used the name of said certain person who had stolen orginal content of something I created to keep people aware that this person is stealing things. it's just a name not a full explanation, Now I get bombared with pm's to take said person's name out of my profile as it's considered against the rules. Or so the they say. My question is, is it? I see nothing of the sort back in the rules or anywhere on google and most of my friends also use names into their profile. I get threats to be reported if I don't so I am asking is, how serious should I take this? I'm not a bully I'm not a mean person but I do get threatened almost as if they like to do this, They won't leave me alone even when I said to do so. I've muted every single person as I'm not here for issue's I just want this person to stop stealing orginal content and make it's own. So I said if this person does I will.

I'm a little bit confused to be honest, I never had any problems with this game until now, In my believe it's neither allowed to steal someone's content or even copy their profile, but I might be wrong

If someone has the answer then I be grateful,

~x~

It might be against SL's ToS to name people but there's no law preventing you from factually making claims about someone. Like they can't say you are defaming them if it's the truth. But my guess is that SL has it in their ToS somewhere where it's probably not allowed to make claims against someone. Also SL can do something without a DMCA. They just chose not to since it would require a dedicated investigative team and there likely would be all kinds of frivolous claims to sort through.

7 minutes ago, Finite said:

It might be against SL's ToS to name people but there's no law preventing you from factually making claims about someone. Like they can't say you are defaming them if it's the truth. But my guess is that SL has it in their ToS somewhere where it's probably not allowed to make claims against someone. Also SL can do something without a DMCA. They just chose not to since it would require a dedicated investigative team and there likely would be all kinds of frivolous claims to sort through.

The only possible infraction could be the following..

(iv) Post, display, or transmit Content (including any communication(s) with employees of Linden Lab) that is harmful, threatening or harassing, defamatory, libelous, false, inaccurate, misleading, or invades another person's privacy;

Anyone who complained would bear the responsibility of proving something was defamatory, libelous, false, inaccurate or misleading.  Simply stating in your profile that someone has stolen things from your profile is none of those things especially if true.   It's also a resident to resident issue which LL does not involve itself in.

If that were the case, a good percentage of SL would be in trouble.  RPers post people who they RP ban and why in their profiles ALL the time.  

• Like 3

There is the TOS

https://www.lindenlab.com/legal/second-life-terms-and-conditions

and the community guidelines

https://www.lindenlab.com/legal/community-standards

Linden Lab defines harassment in the community guidelines as "Communicating or behaving in a manner that is offensively coarse, intimidating, threatening, or causes annoyance or alarm is not allowed". Text in a profile is not an active communication or behavior. However, an avatar's profile is typically open for all to read and there is an expectation for residents to read other profiles. I personally think you are allowed to post what you want in your profile but it's not really an effective way to correct the problem.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

...but it's not really an effective way to correct the problem.

Sadly if someone cannot afford to copyright their works or file a DMCA it's really like the only thing they can do. To let people know about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is probably better to err on the side of caution, rather than risk your account.  This is especially true if you are constantly being informed by people that they are going to report you.  I would love to go all bravado, and tell you to stick to your guns and not let anyone tell you otherwise, but that could be at your expense.  If it were my account, I would not risk it.  There is always a lot of interpretation left in internet rules, and what could be considered acceptable and harassment is not in general, bound by legal systems.   

• Like 1

I think the safest thing to do is to just remove the name from your profile, I don't know how serious linden labs takes that kind of thing.

But just know that you are not the only one, I have had my profile copied twice and probably more that I know of, but there really isn't much you can do about it other than to tell the person doing it to not do it again, or show them that you actually know that they did that to you.

Instead you could just make a profile pic and write down that you do not appreciate people copying your profile or other things, at least that is what I have done, if it it will work or not is not for certain but at least people will know.

I know from experience that people who does that kind of thing or worse, copybot or steal people's stuff, tend to not stop or grow out of it of it, because they are filled with jealousy, greed or both, and can't tell the difference between right and wrong, if they are young then yeah maybe they will understand as they grow older, but as an adult... probably not. So I just avoid them as much as possible, well to be honest I avoid people as much as possible unless they are my friends, but it got more downsides than positives. 😅

Edited by PixelBerry
  • Like 1

Just a thought here, if I've followed the posts correctly, this is more a case of imitation/copying rather than theft?

Personally I'd just take it as a case of imitation is a form of flattery.

If it really does matter to you, I'd suggest altering the profile post to say that so-and-so is copying you word-for-word and not mention theft.

• Like 5

Adding: Who would out of the blue in the middle of their day doing other stuff, poke you for naming names on a RP page?  Perhaps well-meaning friends which the named avi has cried to?  If that were the case, your mark got the message, perhaps not worth it to you to leave it up any longer. 

And if the name is only on your "Limits" section of your profile, the context could certainly be up for debate in your favor. I didn't take any of the three names you mentioned seriously, as the first two I should be expected to understand on a RP page we are talking RP.  The third I presumed same, had I not read this thread.  If later you go shooting off about it in an IM somewhere defending yourself that it is factually true and the user is a crook, that's a different matter. 

As to other folks telling you about your inappropriate naming in a profile, hmmmph, to be honest unless these folks are *that* user or a Linden, my first thought is they need to be minding their own business about what you choose to type/risk in a SL avatar profile on a tab about RP limits.  Block em straight-up and don't even blink. 

Even so, in the end and given SL is supposed to be an enjoyable exercise and not a drag or risk for users, it kind of goes back to what was said above. Is it worth one more millisecond of ruining your good time to leave it there one more day?   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RunawayBunny said:

Without legal results (DMCA / court) you should not "label" anyone as thief, it is actually a crime (defamation of character).

You must follow legal methods and inform LL with proper method:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Intellectual_Property

They stole what they wrote in their profile.  It's not a DMCA issue.  They literally.copied their profile word.for word.  Stating so in your profile is not libel or slander when it's true.  Proving libel, defamation and slander is also the burden of the person claiming it is not the person who is accused.  They would have to prove they didn't steal/copy his profile.

Personally, amd only because the person told me and told their friends to tell me to take it out, I'd leave it in.  First they steal my profile and then tell me I can't complain about it?  Yeah, I don't think so.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Personally, amd only because the person told me and told their friends to tell me to take it out, I'd leave it in.  First they steal my profile and then tell me I can't complain about it?  Yeah, I don't think so.

Haha I'm the same way. People often get the opposite reaction from me compared to what they may have expected when harassing me. I'd probably even expand on what I had said previously.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RunawayBunny said:

Without legal results (DMCA / court) you should not "label" anyone as thief, it is actually a crime (defamation of character).

You must follow legal methods and inform LL with proper method:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Intellectual_Property

You never have to prove you are telling the truth. They have to prove you are lying in a defamation case. DMCA wouldn't have anything to do with it as they are not related so filing a DMCA to prove you are telling a truth would be unnecessary. DMCA would only stop them (temporarily at least til the case is heard) from selling or distributing whatever it is that was copied. It's only a crime if you are lying. DMCA doesn't determine that.

If someone stole my car I could tell people that someone stole my car. I wouldn't first need a police report to do so. In fact, if I couldn't tell people that someone stole my car before filing a police report the mere act of telling the police would be breaking whatever law this is that's being referred to.

Edited by Finite
  • Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 7:05 PM, Finite said:

If someone stole my car I could tell people that someone stole my car. I wouldn't first need a police report to do so.

Yes you need.. professionals (people who doing it as their job..) have to investigate backstory of theft with legal way. Crime it self might be misleading to label some one as criminal (most common examples "shameful" crime labeling.)

If you label some one as thief and turns out it is wrong.. and if person suffered any damage from it you have committed a crime. But I don't know how it works in America..

Long story short not everything what it appears not every uninvited "guest" in your home a thief. Its best to handle it legal way.

Edited by RunawayBunny

5 minutes ago, RunawayBunny said:

Yes you need.. professionals (people who doing it as their job..) have to investigate backstory of theft with legal way. Crime it self might be misleading to label some one as criminal (most common examples "shameful" crime labeling.)

If you label some one as thief and turns out it is wrong.. and if person suffered any damage from it you have committed a crime. But I don't know how it works in America..

Long story short not everything what it appears not every uninvited "guest" in your home a thief. Its best to handle it legal way.

Defamation in the States is not criminal. At least in most states. It would be a civil case 99% of the time. So no it's not a crime. There's no federal defamation laws. 

Also, you would have to be a person to be a plaintiff in such a case. Your avatar would not qualify as a person unfortunately. So this is kind of moot. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1054 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.